Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
The BMW M3 GTS

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW M3 GTS - a lightweight E92 M3 race car

BMW M GmbH now offers a truly outstanding performer based on the BMW M3 Coupe also ideal for Clubsport events - exactly the right car for the truly discerning customer demanding the very utmost in terms of power and performance. The BMW M3 GTS is largely hand-built by the most skilled craftsmen at BMW M GmbH as a perfectly harmonized package of outstanding modifications, with production exclusively to the customer's personal order. Focused on motorsport, the modifications comprise both the drivetrain, the suspension and the body of the car, as well as its interior. Market launch of the

BMW M3 GTS will be available spring 2010
Offering this truly exclusive model for the genuine motorsport enthusiast, BMW M GmbH is continuing a great tradition introduced on former generations of the BMW M3. Once again, the outstanding sports potential of the BMW M3 is being consistently enhanced and upgraded to an even higher level, the customer benefiting from the Company's wide range of know-how in the development and production of racing cars. Through its race-oriented modifications enhancing both performance and safety, the BMW M3 GTS is ready to go in Clubsport events on the track and comes with the option for homogenization on the road. So that the driver is able to make his way to the race track in the very same car he will use for racing.

Consistent lightweight technology
Consistent lightweight construction, adjustable aerodynamic units, an increase in engine size and output on the V8 high-speed power unit and suspension technology meeting all the requirements of motorsport all this gives the BMW M3 GTS a top position among high-performance cars built for Clubsport racing. Unladen weight according to the DIN standard is less than 1,500 kg (3,300 lb), the lightweight body comes with special mounts for six-point seat belts and a roll cage fitted behind the B-pillar.

Through its design and construction, the materials used and its special equipment, the BMW M3 GTS is a lightweight performer all the way, offering a genuine motorsport driving experience in every respect. In addition to the carbon fiber roof already featured as standard on the BMW M3, weight is consistently optimized by features such as silencers made of titanium, the extra-light centre console and door linings, the omission of rear seats, automatic air conditioning and an audio system, as well as sound insulation tailored specifically to this very special model.

V8 high-speed power unit: derived from motorsport, optimized for motorsport
The eight-cylinder power unit of the BMW M3 GTS enlarged in size to 4.4 litres and boosted in output to some 450 hp boasts construction principles and technical details carried over directly from motorsport. A supreme surge of ongoing power throughout a wide range of engine speed characterizes the outstanding performance of the V8 with its high-speed concept. The features typical of a motorsport engine include the crankcase made of a special aluminum-silicon alloy and constructed in bedplate design, individual throttle butterflies, anti-knock sensors with ion flow technology, and, wet sump oil supply optimized for supreme driving dynamics.

Seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic with race-bred gearshift
Power is transmitted in the BMW M3 GTS by the M double-clutch gearbox with Drivelogic also available as an option on the regular production model. This seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic gearbox follows a principle also developed for motorsport, shifting gears without the slightest interruption of engine power. The transmission was developed specifically for a particularly powerful high-speed engine and offers ideal qualities for truly dynamic acceleration at all times. The gearshift characteristics on the seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic have been tailored specifically to the modified power unit of the BMW M3 GTS and the driver is able to shift gears both through the selector lever on the center console and through special M shift paddles on the steering wheel.

High-performance suspension with purpose-built brakes
To convey the supreme power of the engine to the road in equally supreme style even under the most extreme conditions, the BMW M3 GTS comes with suspension technology likewise derived from the highest realms of motorsport. While the suspension is based on the front and rear axle of the BMW M3 Coup, the rear axle subframe is bolted firmly in position and the suspension features adjustment threads on the dampers for individual variation of the inbound and rebound strokes.

The high-performance brake system of the BMW M3 GTS features fixed calipers with six pistons up front and four pistons on the rear wheels. The race-oriented set-up of DSC Dynamic Stability Control naturally considers the supreme dynamic potential of the BMW M3 GTS. Different-sized tires front and rear running on 19-inch M light-alloy Competition rims in double-spoke design ensure optimum transmission of acceleration and brake forces to the road.

Aerodynamics: optimized components with variable geometry
To optimise the flow of air and adjust the car's down force as required, the BMW M3 GTS comes with a race-oriented front air dam and rear wing. This allows appropriate adjustment of the car's aerodynamic qualities in motorsport and for other purposes, tailored to the specific profile of the respective track. The air guidance units on the front air dam, for example, may be varied in their geometry, just like the position of the rear wing based on the wing already featured on the BMW 320si raced in the WTCC World Touring Car Championship.

Exterior features such as the BMW kidney grille and the gills at the side finished in chrome on the regular BMW M3 come in special dark epoxy-plated chrome on the BMW M3 GTS.

Special interior for supreme performance and safety
The interior of the BMW M3 GTS clearly reflects the focus on supreme performance and safety on the race track. The interior features include classic bucket seats, interior trim in carbon and an M steering wheel finished in alcantara. The door and side panels at the rear also come in alcantara, while six-point seat belts delivered with the car for subsequent use, a fire extinguisher and preparation for an emergency-off switch in motorsport round off the wide range of special features inside the car.

*Information only; This model is not currently planned for the North American market

Video -

Pictures -

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_1.jpg
Views:	360384
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	207194   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_2.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	207195   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_3.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	207196   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_4.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	207197   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_5.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	207198  

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_7.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	207199   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_8.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	207200   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_9.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	207201   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_10.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	207202   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_11.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	207203  

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_12.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	207204   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_13.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	207205   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-GTS_14.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	207206  

Last edited by pix335i; 07-11-2012 at 09:39 AM..
This article has been viewed 9763 times.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
OMFG, I want that soooooo bad
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
Sweet
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
They failed to mention the estimated price: $150,000!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i, E60 545i
I came, I saw, I drooled.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Passionate Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to MikeCoupe
Mein Auto: 328i
Going after the GT3, are we??
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
They failed to mention the estimated price: $150,000!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmlav8r View Post
For that price, there are a lot of other cars I'd want to have other than a souped up, skinnied down 3 series (no offense to BMW fanboys).
Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
For that price, there are a lot of other cars I'd want to have other than a souped up, skinnied down 3 series (no offense to BMW fanboys).
+1

It's nice but not 150k nice.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
*rh Cdrh*

Mein Auto: 08 M5 e36 M3 gt40 877hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-S View Post
+1

It's nice but not 150k nice.
Agreed. I can buy a nice p-car with that mula.

****************** __________________------====http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)====--------__________________
Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerusam3 View Post
Agreed. I can buy a nice p-car with that mula.
Exactamundo.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
'Fest Advisor

Actually, you can skinny down a 335 or M3 quite easily and strip it of all non essentials (dashboard, seats, etc). Then, just spend a small amount on mods for suspension, different seats, engine, exhaust, carbonfiber this and that, etc and you'd save yourself a quite of $$ and I'd imagine performance would be stellar.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1974 BMW 2002
Oh my god... I can't even tell you how happy this made me. BMW has been needing to make a barebones Race car for EVER!!!! And now they have. Thank god. Back to focus on the driving

In Garage:
2003 MINI Cooper S
2001 BMW 325ci
1974 BMW 2002
1969 FIAT 850 Sport Spider
Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgeman View Post
Oh my god... I can't even tell you how happy this made me. BMW has been needing to make a barebones Race car for EVER!!!! And now they have. Thank god. Back to focus on the driving
Sure...back to the basics for $150K!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
'Fest Advisor

http://jalopnik.com/5397062/bmw-m3-g...ore-m/gallery/

"The new BMW M3 GTS, which many expected to be called the CSL, debuted today with a new name and a new look. With power expected to be close to 500 HP, a fire extinguisher is included.

We're still expecting the limited edition BMW M3 GTS to come in at around $150K. For all those greenbacks M buyers will get a more extreme, track-ready M3 sans stereo and A/C with a new body kit and power boosted to 470 HP. More details as we get them."
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1974 BMW 2002
Quote:
Sure...back to the basics for $150K!
thats why you wait for it to be used later

In Garage:
2003 MINI Cooper S
2001 BMW 325ci
1974 BMW 2002
1969 FIAT 850 Sport Spider
Old 11-07-2009, 11:40 PM
'Fest Advisor

I think this car will sell and be limited in production #'s. Hence, the depreciation will be limited. So you might pick it up many years from now for $100K!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
Actually not a bad buy

This looks like it would be one heck of a club car, is it is designed to be. Racing is not cheap by any means. I heard it said once that when you race, only run in the class that you can afford to be competitive in. I

That being said it really depends on the depth of your pockets, and what type of envents you want to run it. BMW track cars are generally reliable as far as track cars are concerned, and 150k is not bad for what is for all intents and purposes a street legal race car. But it will be interesting to see how well they hold up at club events. It is still too early to tell. You have to also think in terms of maintenance. BMW's as race cars are not that costly to keep going when compared with others.

I'm glad they put this together. It was needed! As for deprication, if you run the heck out of it, it will depreciate. If you make it a garage queen, I do not suspect it will. Limited production BMW's tend to hold there value well. Look at the M1, Z1, 850csi, Z8 etc.

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwadam View Post
Limited production BMW's tend to hold there value well. Look at the M1, Z1, 850csi, Z8 etc.
The M1, Z8, etc were not 3 series. Garage Queens don't depreciate like beaten down track cars, not matter what car it is (obviously). I still think that since it is a souped up, skinnied down 3 series, it will depreciate slower than a traditional 3 series/M3, but faster than some here may think.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Why do you think this isnt as nice as a P-car? Didnt the Rahal Letterman M3 win the ALMS race at Road America, the largest track in North America.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Paid in Full!

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Creamed in my pants

I wish i had a spare $100k
Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 BMW 300ci View Post
I wish i had a spare $100k
Even if you did, you'd still be short $50,000!!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Gorgeous color

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Rossi samples BMW M3 GTS

Valentino Rossi gave the lightweight BMW M3 GTS its public debut in Valencia last weekend.

The nine-time Moto GP world champion took to the track after winning BMW's 'M Award' for being the fastest qualifier on average during the season.

The lightweight M3 GTS coupe, due to go on sale in the UK in early 2010 for 115,000 euro (102,000), has been conceived as a limited edition model primarily for club based racing in much the same way Porsche produces the 911 GT3 Clubsport.

"It was amazing in the GTS. Just amazing. It was great, especially under braking with the light weight that it has," said Rossi, who is reported to have enquired about ordering one of the cars following his run.

As part of his prize for being the fastest driver in qualifying Rossi also won a standard M3 saloon - the fifth car he has received for scooping the award.

However, the Italian whas vowed to push for more records. He said: "Stoner has won more BMWs than me so maybe I have a target still next year!"

Pictures -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW-GTS-Driven-by-Rossi-1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	208911   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-GTS-Driven-by-Rossi-2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	208912   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-GTS-Driven-by-Rossi-3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	208913   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-GTS-Driven-by-Rossi-4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	208914  
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Sweet ride!!! The only thing I don't like is the way they "riced" it out with that ridiculous wing on the back! ugh!