Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Mein Auto: 116i
116i, engine malfunction, fault code 2A99

I recently bought a used BMW 116i a month ago from a independent dealer, made in 2009 (59reg), with 33,500 miles. I did not drive the car often, normally 2 days a week. Recently, I got some problem with it. The main one is the Engine malfunction sign in yellow popped out. It happened about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but not any more since the weather was getting colder here in the UK. The sign popped out for about 6-8 times during a 3-4 weeks period, shortly after I bought it from a dealer (not BMW dealer). It normally happened in the morning after I drove the car for about 5 minutes, and I did not notice any power reduction, and after I restart the engine, the sign will be off for the rest of the day. I sent the car to 2 garages to check, they only found one fault code: 2A99, Crankshaft - Outlet Camshaft, Correlation and I was told that most likely it is the timing chain failure.

I read some posters online, and people are saying that there are a number of possible causes for this fault code, such as coin pack, vanos unit, vanos solenoid, HPFP etc. Apart from the malfunction sign, the car is running fine, no strange noise and no reduced power, how likely do you think there is a failing timing chain?

Please help. I need to confirm to the garage whether or not to open the engine to further check it, which is a 3 hours' work. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Mein Auto: BMW 120i Sports Pac
I tend to think of the only problem I know, that confuses even the most astute mechanic, that is the free-wheeling alternator pulley.
On inspection, it appears Ok, on investigating it tend to be seize up and the multi-vee belt tends to cause it to undo and do-up. Usual occurrence is > 60,000K
One would think it would just act as a fixed pulley, however, this over-run or non- over-run pulley cause a problem, that may indicate a malfunction.
I have heard of this pulley causing some problems, however, never to the stage of triggering a warning, except at a catastrophic failure.... IE. pulley coming off.

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search