Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Talking Is a Torx wrench all you need in order to get the @#$% radio out?

I went to my local dealer to see if they could show me how to get the radio out of an e39. They told me that I needed a special tool in order to get it out and that I could set up an appointment with them to do it. However, I remember seeing a write up by cn90 on how to get it out very easily. I tried to use the torx #10 wrench in the DIY but I think I may have broke something.

For those who have taken out the radio....What happens when you turn the torx #10 screw that is behind the volume knob? Does the radio just pop out or do you need another tool to prop it out? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRX View Post
I went to my local dealer to see if they could show me how to get the radio out of an e39. They told me that I needed a special tool in order to get it out and that I could set up an appointment with them to do it. However, I remember seeing a write up by cn90 on how to get it out very easily. I tried to use the torx #10 wrench in the DIY but I think I may have broke something.

For those who have taken out the radio....What happens when you turn the torx #10 screw that is behind the volume knob? Does the radio just pop out or do you need another tool to prop it out? Thanks.
All you need is the Torx wrench. There is no spcial tools required. After you back out the screw in the volume knob, the HU will swing out.

Here is a link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94765

Hope this helps...JL
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
It is NOT a torx but an allen key. I can't remember the size but I think it's a 2mm or 2.5mm. Do a search. Turn the allen screw 90 degrees and gently pry out that side of the MID. It will come out with little effort.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
It is NOT a torx but an allen key. I can't remember the size but I think it's a 2mm or 2.5mm. Do a search. Turn the allen screw 90 degrees and gently pry out that side of the MID. It will come out with little effort.
2.5 mm Allen hex key.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/ste...oval_tool.html
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
I followed cn90's and a bunch of others and wrote it up for you here ...

Given ...
(2002, BMW, 525i, Business CD, no DSP, no Nav, no CD changer, no tapedeck, no Sirius stellite radio, no bluetooth phone)

Tools:
- Despite what other instructions say, I didn't need philips or torx screwdrivers.
- I only needed a 1.5 mm allen wrench & a 2 mm allen wrench
- 10mm box wrench (to disconnect & reconnect the battery)

Disconnect the battery:
- Open the trunk (you may wish to leave it open after disconnecting battery cables).
- With a 10 mm box or socket wrench, remove both battery cables, negative first.

Remove the MID unit:
- Cover the gear-shift knob with a soft towel to protect it and the equipment you're removing.
- With your fingers, pull the Multi-Information Display (MID) knob straight out & off.
- With a flashlight, locate the allen-head set screw at the 6 o'clock position just below serrated post.
- Insert a 1.5 mm Allen hex-head wrench & twist 90 degrees counterclockwise to retract the MID lock pin.
- With your hands, using light force, pull the MID unit straight out away from the dashboard.
- Disconnect the MID data-input cable (press the fancy Molex-connector lever & flip it's handle 90 degrees).
- Place the MID unit in a safe place (e.g., on a towel strategically placed across the back seat).

Remove the Business CD & radio combination unit:
- Twist the two 2 mm allen head clamp-adjust screws under the Business CD just until they spin freely.
- With your hands, using light force, pull the Business CD straight out away from the dash.
- Unclip the small black radio aerial connector by depressing the raised ridge with your fingers and pulling straight out.
- Unclip the very large radio-cable harness by depressing a small tab inside the black lever then opening the lever upwards.
- Pull the radio-cable harness connector straight out, away from the Business CD unit.
- Place the radio in a safe place (e.g., on a towel placed across the back seat).
Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Damn stealers….
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Inside screw must be stripped. My hex wrench goes around in a circle. No click.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
Just get a small jewelery flat screw driver and it should move. That small screw does not require much force to untwist it.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 PM

You only have to turn the screw 90 degrees.

If it won't turn anymore ... you might be at the 90-degree point.

Just pull the MID out with your hands if the screw is in the 90 degree position.

If the MID won't come out, and the wrench turns and turns, then either your hex wrench is slipping inside the head or the screws are stripped.

If the head is stripped, maybe a larger allen wrench will work ...

good luck,
Bluebee
Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRX View Post
Inside screw must be stripped. My hex wrench goes around in a circle. No click.
I followed one of the references which says it's common for the E39 radio-mount screws to be damaged ...

I'm guessing because people use the wrong tool (e.g., Torx, to start with); and they keep turning even after they've twisted 1/4 turn (90 degrees).

Anyway, maybe the $5 tool in that reference will help ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio_removing_tool.gif
Views:	2497
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	207655  
Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
It is not a screw, rather a rotation lever, spring loaded
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztom View Post
It is not a screw, rather a rotation lever, spring loaded
I agree. BMW is very clever about their connections. We should stop calling them "screws" because they don't act like things "screwed in".

For one, the 1/4-trun volume-knob bolt is more like a hook (sort of like a laptop PC cable lock 90-degree turn to unhook it). Turn 1/4 one way to unlock; turn 1/4 the other way to lock.

Likeswise, the two business-cd bolts are more like the bolt on a wood clamp. You don't need to remove them; you just loosen up the clamp. For these two bolts, you just spin them out until they spin freely and out comes the business CD.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM

To the OP, would you give us an update?

The reason I ask (other than as a courtesy to those who spent effort to help you) is that someone else has the same problem posted today.
- Removing BMW Business RDS stereo

Last edited by bluebee; 04-05-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM

For reference, see also this thread updated today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 MID removal (without Torx)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MID_Latch5.JPG
Views:	3188
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	297936  
Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Small allen key to undue three latches. One behind the volume knob and one one each side of the CD player.

Last edited by seemyad; 10-20-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Another stripped torx screw today ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inruiwetrust View Post
So I've been attempting to take out the radio out of my car now for quite a few hours as it seems the person before me totally broke the release screw in the volume knob. I have looked up a few different solutions that some users have come up with but none seems to be working for me. The release screw is completely broken, so trying to go in from the volume knob is not going to do any good as it is no longer attached to the release. I read one user got his out by fabricating a piece of sheet metal and going from under the HVAC to release the latch that way but I have no means of fabricating such metal nor can I get to it with a screwdriver or my fingers. Another shoved a screwdriver down the right side of the radio and got the radio to pop out after pulling it. I tried that and that hasn't done anything at all. Can anyone think of any other solution aside from blowing the thing up?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 PM

For cross reference, there is good information from JimLev about removing the radio when the torx is stripped in this thread today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > business radio broken removal tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Start by removing the cup holders. swing them out and you'll see 2 Phillips screws.
Remove the screws and yank the cup holder assy out.
Now stick you hand in the hole and pop the HVAC panel out. There are no screws that hold it in.
Look at the pics below.
You will need a thin piece of metal to slide up the left side from the HVAC opening to the MID.
Try to get the metal strip behind the locking tabs, then move the strip towards you. This will push the locking clips in.
Now pull the MID out.
I sent this info to another guy years ago that had the same problem, he said it worked.