Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3si
Downhill Assist

Was wondering if any of you know how fast you can be going downhill and still use this feature.

Read an old review of the 2007 X3 the other day, the model I own, that stated this feature is adjustable on the fly.

This implies that one could vary the speed at which he/she is traveling downhill during implementation. Is this true?

BTW, I love my X3.

After reading a lot of the negatives posts about the X3 I almost started a "yes, I love my X3" thread.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Hill Descent Control (HDC)

BMW's brochures vary in how much detail they go into on HDC, but this is one of the better ones:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...t_control.html

So that answers your first question - you can activate it at any speed up to about 22 m.p.h.

Don't think you can adjust the speed at which HDC decides it is going to slow you to (4 or 5 m.p.h.).

Maybe the "adjustment" refers to the fact that you can, if you want, still use the gas pedal to increase your speed,
and that if you go above about 38 m.p.h., HDC will fade out without you turning it off at the switch.

I have not found the feature useful on snowy or icy drops as the braking intervention is too severe.

On long, steep gravel trails it could be useful - but only to give you a break from dabbing the brake pedal to concentrate on steering around bigger rocks.

Last edited by Supercourse; 11-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 5
check the owners manual. i believe once it is set, you can adjust the speed 1 mph up or down by using the radio buttons left of the steering wheel
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Activate HDC at speeds below 20 mph. The car will slow down to around 5 mph on a steep hill and keeps this speed.

With the accelerator and the brakes, you can adjust this between 3 mph and 15 mph.

You can also use the steering wheel's cruise control buttons if you want to set a target within this range. The + and - buttons.

1. Slow down to below 20 mph on a hill.
2. Press the HDC button. The LED lights up.
3. The LED will flash whenever the car applies the brakes itself.

4. Press the button again to deactivate.
5. LED goes off.

The HDC will also deactivate itself if you go above 35 mph. It will also go off after the ignition is switched off.

MT: use HDC in low gears and in reverse.
AT: HDC can be used in every drive position.

There is a HDC malfunction if the button goes out unexpectedly or fails to go on.

The HDC can also shut itself off temporarily if the brake temperature is too high.

From the user manual. Available online as well:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...BIDdQd8yiM1yc=

Last edited by PPXYZ; 11-11-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Activate HDC at speeds below 20 mph. The car will slow down to around 5 mph on a steep hill and keeps this speed.

With the accelerator and the brakes, you can adjust this between 3 mph and 15 mph.

You can also use the steering wheel's cruise control buttons if you want to set a target within this range. The + and - buttons.

5. LED goes off.

The HDC will also deactivate itself if you go above 35 mph. It will also go off after the ignition is switched off.

There is a HDC malfunction if the button goes out unexpectedly or fails to go on.

The HDC can also shut itself off temporarily if the brake temperature is too high.
Wow, that deserves a
Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The HDC can be used when vehicle speed is below 40 km/h and it will brake by default to about 5 km/h (walking speed). Speed can be adjusted permanently by using the cruise buttons, temporarily by the pedals.

I recommend it for snowy or icy steep hills, or whenever steep downhill traction might be iffy. It can also be used in reverse.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Wow, that deserves a
Couldn't explain it any better myself

Who finds HDC useful?

I use HDC just about on a daily basis. We have a long downhill gravel road leading into the farm from the main road. Quite relaxing to have this subtle approach home as I unwind after another day's work ...lol... let the HDC take care of the last bit.

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36

Last edited by LvdB; 11-10-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
Couldn't explain it any better myself

Who finds HDC useful?

I use HDC just about on a daily basis. We have a long downhill gravel road leading into the farm from the main road. Quite relaxing to have this subtle approach home as I unwind after another day's work ...lol... let the HDC take care of the last bit.
Sadly, I don't have a place to use it I have tested it on a friend's driveway if that counts! lol
Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post

5. LED goes off.

Hey, you got it right! Look at the positive, something works on your X3!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!