Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Steal a BMW in Under 3 Minutes

ZD Net put it perfectly: "It's cool to have a keyless BMW until you no longer have a keyless BMW."

Unfortunately, that's the exact predicament a BMW 1 Series M owner found themselves in after their $46,000 car was stolen by hackers in under 3 minutes from their own driveway.

In a post in the enthusiast forum 1Addicts, the victim posted the above video and a description of how the thieves were able to so easily steal this sophisticated and seemingly technologically sound vehicle.

"[They accessed] the BMW OBD port in the footwell by breaking the glass, reaching in and using a device to reprogram a blank key fob. The car was simply then unlocked and pushed off the drive and driven away."

Keyless vehicles are pretty simple. The owner has a unique key fob that, when recognized by the car, allows the driver to start the engine with the push of a button, instead of the turn of a physical key.

But a keyless vehicle's OBD port, or on-board diagnostics port, can be exploited by thieves. If a thief can access the OBD port by either using a RF jammer or simply breaking a window to get in the car, he can program a blank key fob to be recognized by the vehicle, allowing him to start it and drive off.

You can see how quickly this can be done in this YouTube video.

Clearly, the thieves in this video knew what they were doing, and it highlights a troubling trend in the United Kingdom. There has been a noticeable spike in keyless BMW thefts and it has some owners really worried, especially since the German automaker has acknowledged the problem, but doesn't seem to be offering any solutions, publicly stating that theft is simply something premium automakers have to deal with.

"The battle against increasingly sophisticated thieves is a constant challenge for all car makers. Desirable, premium-branded cars, like BMW and its competitors, have always been targeted," BMW told Jalopnik.

With many cars no longer requiring physical keys, the sophisticated thief can fairly easily circumvent alarm systems and drive off. Concerned keyless car owners can prevent this by looking into disabling the OBD port (a BMW owner provided an example of how to do this here). You can enable it if you need to take your car in for maintenance.

http://autos.aol.com/article/keyless...6pLid%3D179234

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
I saw this video today and boy is it really sad. To think that this is something you have to worry
about when making a huge purchase like that. BMW needs to do something because if this was a 2008 or below model it wouldn't be too bad, but this is one of their latest models and the access system may be the very latest. So this does hurt and they need to figure out something quickly.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
One word, insurance.

I read a thread where a shop owner went to auction and bought 4 1Ms with salvaged titles dirt cheap, and restored them nicely. One of them was the very last 1M sold in the US.

Most of them had only minor body damages after what appeared joy rides gone slightly bad. According to one account, one of the owners got his car for $54k, crashed it, got a $60+k paycheck from the insurance.

I couldn't feel that bad for them after reading those stories. I know that video was taken in the UK, and not all 1M owners are like that, but when you get to that point, you are usually well cared for. Insurance companies often bend backwards to make you happy.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
This video has captured the attention of BMW, Munich. Article in the WSJ today:

"The battle against increasingly sophisticated thieves is a constant challenge for all car makers," BMW said in a statement in response to the video.

One challenge in Europe, according to a BMW spokesman in the U.K., is that EU rules require car makers to make onboard diagnostic ports easily accessible, and to allow independent mechanics and locksmiths to reprogram keys. In the U.S., BMW only allows dealers to sell replacement keys, said another company spokesman, Dave Buchko.

This would seem to be mainly a E.U. problem? I wonder what a lost key fob costs in the EU?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

"The battle against increasingly sophisticated thieves is a constant challenge for all car makers," BMW said in a statement in response to the video.

One challenge in Europe, according to a BMW spokesman in the U.K., is that EU rules require car makers to make onboard diagnostic ports easily accessible, and to allow independent mechanics and locksmiths to reprogram keys. In the U.S., BMW only allows dealers to sell replacement keys, said another company spokesman, Dave Buchko.

This would seem to be mainly a E.U. problem? I wonder what a lost key fob costs in the EU?
Just because BMW in the US only allows dealers to sell keys, do they really think credible thieves can't get their hands on blank key fobs through their own sources? At any rate, if a thief wants to steal something, they usually find a way...programmable key fobs or not!

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 07-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
this reminds me of the way i learned to access ford/lincoln/mercury vehicles without anything but a paperclip. easy to do when you know how, and will not set off alarms (aftermarket or not).

so even if you put your stuff in the trunk, one could access it.

not sure, though, but does bmw still have the code program on the obc?? i would think this would not be bypassed, keyless fob or not.

df
Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i Sport
They better not take more than 3 minutes

If someone decides to snag anything from my property, I sure hope they can get it done in under three minutes because I sure as hell can get more than a couple shots off in three minutes. Even if I were groggy from a deep sleep I would only need a couple to put a nice burn in their ass.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHACK View Post
If someone decides to snag anything from my property, I sure hope they can get it done in under three minutes because I sure as hell can get more than a couple shots off in three minutes. Even if I were groggy from a deep sleep I would only need a couple to put a nice burn in their ass.
Doesn't really sound like a good idea. In CA a few years back, a car owner was charged with murder for shooting someone in the process of stealing his car. Defense of personal property does not justify deadly force in most states. Armed, violent car jacking might be another issue.
Even if the DA doesn't prosecute you for use of deadly force, the family of he deceased can always haul you into court in a civil case for wrongful death. Even if you win, you're still screwed for legal fees to defend yourself (the value of your car?).

Just call the cops and alert BMW Assist...it will save you a lot of hassle.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: '07 E90 BMW 335i
I had a E90 325i stolen (no theft insurance!)... suspect this is how it was done since the window was smashed where it was parked. It's easy, but then again property theft usually is. Otherwise thieves can just tow the car away.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i Sport
Quote:
Doesn't really sound like a good idea. In CA a few years back, a car owner was charged with murder for shooting someone in the process of stealing his car. Defense of personal property does not justify deadly force in most states. Armed, violent car jacking might be another issue.
Even if the DA doesn't prosecute you for use of deadly force, the family of he deceased can always haul you into court in a civil case for wrongful death. Even if you win, you're still screwed for legal fees to defend yourself (the value of your car?).

Just call the cops and alert BMW Assist...it will save you a lot of hassle.

Just another reason I don't live in CA. Where I live, the law would show up, help clean up the mess, write a report and drink a beer with you to calm you down. And come to think of it, there aren't many car jackings going on. Uhmmm I wonder if they could be related...
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHACK View Post
Just another reason I don't live in CA. Where I live, the law would show up, help clean up the mess, write a report and drink a beer with you to calm you down. And come to think of it, there aren't many car jackings going on. Uhmmm I wonder if they could be related...
Really?
http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=10653697
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it sounded a good concept, the problem is people don't understand the law and get themselves into serious legal trouble. I have read too many of such cases lately.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:

A very convenient and far from convincing excuse from BMW GB that does nothing to pacify UK owners who are getting increasingly worried by these thefts.

The statement from BMW does in some ways point the finger at independent mechanics/locksmiths, when in reality it's BMW's woeful onboard security systems that allow this to happen.

Replacement keys and the gizmo needed to code the key to car are readily available on Ebay,so no,the problem is not just confined to Europe,and there is nothing to stop these kinds of thefts happening to you Guys in the states.

The problem (BMW car thefts) here in the UK in some areas, is becoming as big a joke as the Olympics is,it's time BMW sorted something out,as insurance companies are already starting to load premiums and in some cases refuse to quote on a policy for a BMW.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
On the way to Albania or whatever. Rare car, and right hand drive at that. Gonna be hard to live with it and service it in western europe.

Thanks to Romanian criminals developing the tool (8 grand one article said it costs). Why am I not surprised.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
Since this issue may become more and more prevalent with thieves, a simple change with the OBD port can rectify this situation.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
The fact is, if someone really wants to steal your car, they probably will. That's where insurance comes in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Two words, the club.

Or other low tech devices are probably the best bet. The question is, will the owners of such high living be able to swallow the pride.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E91
Now on BBC:

Quote:
Our engineers and technicians review all aspects of our vehicles constantly, including security systems, and after extensive research we are clear that none of our latest models - new 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method you have highlighted.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...eft-technology