Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
128i Gas tank sending unit problems

I have had my 128i convertible since late July and it has been in the shop waiting for a new gas tank since late August. Evidently there is a problem with fuel gague sending units which are an integral part of the gas tank. Am I the only guy with this problem or am I the beginning of an epidemic?
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
11,000 miles on my 128i convertible and no fuel gauge problems. I did have to have the sender and fuel pump replaced on a Z3 about 10 years ago but, IIRC, I was able to drive the car while waiting for the parts.

Hopefully, yours will be fixed soon.
Tom
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
Good news! Evidently the new tank has arrived and we should get the car back before the start of another beautiful sunny California weekend. I really miss the convertible. The guys at the dealer have been very accomodating and I'm sure it has been just as frustrating for them as it has been for us. Hopefully our situation was a fluke and no one else has the same situation.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 128i
Same problem with the fuel tank

I bought my 128i about five months ago, have less than 1,600 miles on the car and the gas tank had to be replaced It's very frustrating to have a new car and have it break down so soon. I hope this was a fluke and that this issue has been resolved and I can go back to enjoying my car.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: '08 135 CV
Not sure if that involves the DTML module, had a problem with that part on my car. One note on the gas tanks, do not leave your car when you're filling it up, I did it once and came back to find fuel spilling out of the tank. I caught it quickly, but it could have been a disaster. Others have reported the same thing, something about the design of the tank that fails to trip the auto shut-off on pump nozzles. Just an FYI.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
I've only had the auto-shutoff fail once. It's apparently due to a defective pump, but it is still a good idea to monitor any flammable liquid going into your car! Also, on some BMW models, leaving the motor running (or even leaving the ignition on) while filling up can confuse the OBC and lead to false readings.

Tom