Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
Aftermarket audio/nav system in 1998 740il?

I'm going to buy a 1998 740il tomorrow morning, and only one thing is holding me back - the factory audio system. It sounds okay, but there is no NAV in the car I am buying. There is also no iPod integration, Bluetooth, Sirius radio, etc.

Yes, I know I can spend thousands of dollars to upgrade to an OEM unit, but I don't see the value in a $3,000 upgrade that only gives partial features.

Searches of Google, e38.org and bimmerfest haven't yielded any answers (maybe I'm not looking in the right spots?).

Does anyone know if I can install one of the newer Kenwood NAV/Sirius/Bluetooth units in the car? Are there installation kits that will make this possible? I can live without steering wheel controls, etc if I have to.

I know a really good car audio guy, but he is too busy to talk today and I want to know my options before buying this car.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 740iL
Rob, this is my speacialty with this car. I did the same thing you did. I installed a aftermarket head unit in the tape deck slot. Replaced the front D/P door speakers in addition to the front tweeters. In the rear I removed and installed only two speakers instead of four. In the trunk I installed two 8" JL audio subwoofers in a slim box leaving me with 3/4 trunk space for use. In addition to this I installed two amplifiers. One for the mids and tweets and the other for the subs.

Oh, I removed the rear d/p door speakers all together. I get great sound and Im totally content!

Crutchfield link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/...avigation.html
Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
Payback,
I would love to see what you used and how you did it - I don't see how there is enough room to install a NAV unit where the tape player is.
How did you get it to work with the factory harness? I thought maybe the link you posted was of the install, but it was a link that took me to a website to buy a NAV unit?
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Im looking for the DIY I found on E38.org. However, your tape deck has two tabs on the front of it (left front and right front). Pop them open with a small screwdriver. Next you will see screws behind each tab. They DO NOT COME OUT! They simply unlock the tape player. I did not use a wiring harness. I matched up the wires as I found the schematics on e38.org. I wrote them down and I will send it to you (in my glove compartment). The space behind the tape player is tight but I had to replace my blower motor which required me to remove the top half of my dash board. During that process I was able to clean up excess wires making the look cleaner.

Installing a radio, speakers and amplifiers can be time consuming so I suggest taking your time to do it (12 hours for perfection. Not to discourage you!!!! I actually enjoy doing this And I removed, rplaced and re-wired as neccessary.

I also used the signal off the factory amp for the front door speakers. Again e38.org

I will begin searching for the links I used from e38.org
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
I successfully installed an aftermarket 7" flip screen into my 95 E38 using the stock amp, speakers and DSP. The unit is an innovetek 721 with NAV ,USB slot, aux slot, bluetooth, etc, etc. It serves my needs pefectly and the stock amp and speaker system are plenty enough for me. Total cost about $500. Replacing all the components with new amps, speaker etc. is a fairly big job and time consumimng. Plus once you take everything out, you may not be able to go in reverse in case you sell. I posted some photos so you could see. Note that the steering controls all work except for the station changer.
Good luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 740i Aftermarket radio Installation 1.jpg
Views:	3503
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	208486   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 740i Aftermarket radio Installation 3.jpg
Views:	1877
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	208487   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 740i Aftermarket radio Installation 4.jpg
Views:	5167
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	208488   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 740i Aftermarket radio Installation 8.jpg
Views:	3214
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	208489   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 740i Aftermarket radio Installation 6.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	208490  

Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Sounds good! Looks good as well!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 99 740 il
hey i want to do whatyou just did with your car. did u also have the stock radio working as well or what? cuz i think it would be cool if they would both work maybe not as a radio control but at least go on so it doesnt look like a blank screen
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740il
I have a 1998 BMW 740il and the passenger front speakers (midrange and tweeter) are not working at all..is this possibly a problem with the factory amplifier ?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: 740i E38
after market audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberardi View Post
I successfully installed an aftermarket 7" flip screen into my 95 E38 using the stock amp, speakers and DSP. The unit is an innovetek 721 with NAV ,USB slot, aux slot, bluetooth, etc, etc. It serves my needs pefectly and the stock amp and speaker system are plenty enough for me. Total cost about $500. Replacing all the components with new amps, speaker etc. is a fairly big job and time consumimng. Plus once you take everything out, you may not be able to go in reverse in case you sell. I posted some photos so you could see. Note that the steering controls all work except for the station changer.
Good luck with your decision.

Hi there

Im an really interested in what you did to your e38 and quite love the fact that you retained your steering wheel control

please tell me how you did it

was it as simple as plug and play ?

did you need wiring adaptors ?

did the radio you install come with wiring for the steering wheel etc etc

Please advise will be much appreciated

Thank you
Old 03-12-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 750IL
Hello all, I'm a newbie here and today I just purchased a 1998 750IL that needs the navigation display and a couple of speakers. Will the same thing work for me as well.