Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
First Z4 what do I need to watch out for

I just bought a 2004 Z4 with, get this, 4500 miles on it. I have not owned a BMW in the past, so I was wondering what I should be checking/watching out for. The car has the 2.5i with the Sport package and a 5 speed automatic. Not as quick as my Vette, but I think it can give it a run in the cornors.

Thanks
Bill
Ads by Google
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Fluid change

The car has been sitting around for almost six years and only driven 4500 miles?? Did you purchase from a private party or a dealer?
If it hasn't been done yet I'd change out the engine oil, transmission fluid, and differential oil.
Engine oil should be changed annually at a minimum.
I was down your way last Saturday touring J&L Fabricating
http://bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=42448
Welcome to the BMW Club: http://bmwpugetsound.com/

Last edited by jmillet; 11-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM

The good news is that I have all the service records on the car from BMW of Bellveue and that is also where I bought it. The oil had been changed every year and all annual maintenance was also performed.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Wow, that's some low milage, wonder if they rolled back the odometer...
2008 Suzuki SX4
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Doesn't look like it, the car is like brand new and the CARFAX shows each year mileage during emissions testing. They guy just never drove it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 318i,325i,330i,328ci
The Z4 and Z3's are extremely fun to drive. I had a 1999 Z3 2.8 and I can tell you the only problem you are going to have is pulling yourself out of the driver's seat!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
best of luck trying to roll back the odometer on this car.....leave that to a true con-artist....Sounds like it really wasn't ever driven and has been taken care of....which is great! I love when people babysit your future car for you and pay about $35,000 to do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraves View Post
The Z4 and Z3's are extremely fun to drive. I had a 1999 Z3 2.8 and I can tell you the only problem you are going to have is pulling yourself out of the driver's seat!!!
Very true. I find myself taking the long way home any chance i get.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Tires are probably getting fairly old, too. Many people recommend not using tires that are more than 6 years old. So you'd better tear thru 'em pretty quick!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Biggest thing you need to watch out for, are modifications; once you start, it's very hard to stop!

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 330i 6-speed, ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjo View Post
The good news is that I have all the service records on the car from BMW of Bellveue and that is also where I bought it. The oil had been changed every year and all annual maintenance was also performed.
I saw that Z4 on the BMW of Bellevue website while I was surfing around looking for a car. Looked like a real find.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 AM
^yup, it's me^

Mein Auto: Teilsortierfachentdeckung
Sunscreen. Apply and drive.

Curator of the Museum of Unfinished Projects

Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Watch out for curbs, trees, walls, other cars, pedestrians, your garage door, cars behind you when backing out of a parking space, vehicles with large doors in parking spaces, taxes, nigerian internet scams, liars, idiots, those who are both liars and idiots, Sarah Palin, worms on the internet, worms in your food, those pesky kids down the street, road side bombs in iraq, laced halloween candy, devices that perform so poorly they are basically a scam, dice silverline pro ipod adapters, pedophiles, ebay scammers, bears, weight loss pills, loaded weapons, Uwe Bolle movies, aliens, the marine corps black ops divisions, spit cups, mid-90s snl skits, golf balls on golf courses, traveling carnivals, people manning the ticket booths at traveling carnivals, carnivals in general, pot holes, walmart gas, walmart people, rust, shady financial company executives, Donald Trump's hair, bank fees, your mother in-law, that space between the dryer and the wall where all your socks go, hot topic, the bogey man, drunks, no fault states, windows vista, line drives, snakes, bad movie remakes, the italian job, late fees, company's that punish their customers with late fees, companies going out of business, blockbuster, netflix's awesomeness, wet floors, tigers, drugs, drug dealers, those who should be on drugs but are not, the govenator, governors who took drugs on video and are still allowed to govern, the faux homeless, those who appear to be dead but are not, larry king, the san andreas fault, short summers, long falls, cliffs, the elderly, duke nukem 4, the other side, black holes, radiation, and anything ending in -itis.

Oh, and your car might enjoy an oil change every 7,000 miles instead of BMW's recommended 15,000.

DreamingWell.com Web Services

Last edited by wildag; 11-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
best of luck trying to roll back the odometer on this car.....leave that to a true con-artist....Sounds like it really wasn't ever driven and has been taken care of....which is great! I love when people babysit your future car for you and pay about $35,000 to do it.
I kid!

Seriously though, nice mileage find, so low probably would have pushed it out of my budget but i'm not saying I wouldn't take it!
2008 Suzuki SX4
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Making fast faster

Mein Auto: 2006 z4M roadster
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Watch out for curbs, trees, walls, other cars, pedestrians, your garage door, cars behind you when backing out of a parking space, vehicles with large doors in parking spaces, taxes, nigerian internet scams, liars, idiots, those who are both liars and idiots, Sarah Palin, worms on the internet, worms in your food, those pesky kids down the street, road side bombs in iraq, laced halloween candy, devices that perform so poorly they are basically a scam, dice silverline pro ipod adapters, pedophiles, ebay scammers, bears, weight loss pills, loaded weapons, Uwe Bolle movies, aliens, the marine corps black ops divisions, spit cups, mid-90s snl skits, golf balls on golf courses, traveling carnivals, people manning the ticket booths at traveling carnivals, carnivals in general, pot holes, walmart gas, walmart people, rust, shady financial company executives, Donald Trump's hair, bank fees, your mother in-law, that space between the dryer and the wall where all your socks go, hot topic, the bogey man, drunks, no fault states, windows vista, line drives, snakes, bad movie remakes, the italian job, late fees, company's that punish their customers with late fees, companies going out of business, blockbuster, netflix's awesomeness, wet floors, tigers, drugs, drug dealers, those who should be on drugs but are not, the govenator, governors who took drugs on video and are still allowed to govern, the faux homeless, those who appear to be dead but are not, larry king, the san andreas fault, short summers, long falls, cliffs, the elderly, duke nukem 4, the other side, black holes, radiation, and anything ending in -itis.

Oh, and your car might enjoy an oil change every 7,000 miles instead of BMW's recommended 15,000.

Well said!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Making fast faster

Mein Auto: 2006 z4M roadster
One more thing to watch out for: Roadkill. It will tear the plastic up under your car.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
One more thing to watch out for: Roadkill. It will tear the plastic up under your car.
Or leave pieces of flesh under there that start to smell real nice....
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Cops!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy forbes View Post
biggest thing you need to watch out for, are modifications; once you start, it's very hard to stop!
x2!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
change tyres, i would have bmw change the fuilds/oil and .... pedal to the metal, make that car come out of its shameful retirement. It's meant to be driven, no be sitting in some garage. Disgrace!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
If you haven't already found this out and I'm sure you have, it is very easy to bounce off the curb with the front valance as you roll to a stop in a parking place. I've lost count of how many times I've done this simply because I forget how long the front end really is.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Low Miler

Sticky lifters from too many short drives under 5 miles. Potential battery failure for similar reasons.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
What are sticky lifters?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post

LMAO, (and anything ending in -itis) so classic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Cops!
I am surprised you missed cops in the other post, great call though, they are by far the most important!