Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-19-2003, 08:09 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
BMW Assist Update (9/19/03)

Automotive Sales
Dealer Bulletin
Subject: MY2004 BMW Assist Program Changes

Thanks to you and your customers’ enthusiastic support, BMW Assist will play a much bigger role in our MY2004 BMW offerings. In January 2003, we launched the new BMW Assist system in the 7 Series, with its embedded phone and upgraded CPT9000 handset. This system ensured that help is always available if an airbag deploys or a breakdown occurs, even if the handset is not connected, activated or available. This innovative new system, with its own advanced digital and analog cellular service for high quality, reliable coverage, now includes a GPS receiver and antenna for the rest of our 2004 models. BMW Assist no longer requires SA609 navigation and your center’s installation of a BMW
integrated phone! The new BMW Assist system is standard on the 2004 5, 6 and 7 Series, and part of ZPP Premium Package or option code SA639 on our X3, X5, Z4 and 3 Series (effective with 9/03 production). BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Services are paid by BMW for the first 12-months of service, effective from the vehicle’s in-service date, but only if you register the customer on CenterNet at BMW Assist/ESA Online Form within 30 days of the RDR.

(snip)

The new 5 Series is also the first BMW to receive TeleService. When the sensors on the car detect that service will be needed soon, the car transmits key vehicle maintenance information to a web page available only to your Service Department, who will use this information to call the customer and arrange a convenient appointment. The customer can push “Service Request” to start the same process. This innovative new feature, intended to enhance owner loyalty and retention at your center,
will only work if you process an Electronic Subscriber Agreement on CenterNet before your service department preps the car for delivery, when they perform the BMW Assist initialization step. We have included 3 FRUs in the 5 Series QC1 payment for the ESA and Initialization activities. If they are not performed, the customer will not receive the benefits of BMW Assist and your center will not receive the TeleService information, squandering these valuable capabilities built into every 5 Series. You’ll be seeing TeleService on even more BMW models in the future, so please make BMW Assist and the ESA part of your everyday sales and delivery activities.

(snip)

The 2004 BMW Assist system makes it easy to sell and install a hands-free calling upgrade. The 5 Series just needs the eject box; many other models require just an eject box and bumper antenna. Your customer
can then connect and operate the CPT9000 in hands-free mode. Any Motorola V60 phone from any carrier can be connected, but we only guarantee the functionality of our CPT9000 version. The 7 Series will
continue to receive the CPT9000 handset as standard equipment. Gordon McDonnell handles phone accessories and integration kits; you'll receive an update on availability and pricing via a parts bulletin.
Bluetooth and speech recognition is planned as an upgrade to the BMW Assist system in MY2005, so please be patient.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2003, 08:19 PM
I know a thing or two...

Interface:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwassist.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	19620  

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 09-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi
Wow, thanks for the info. I will have my 330xi in a month or so without Nav or the Phone. We shall see how it works.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Sarafil, thanks for the good gouge. Been waiting a long time for info. Now the big decision; to go PP or go a la carte (Wood trim, computer, and Sunroof)...
What do you guys think abou the power seats? Last time I had it in my '02 325, I never used the memory and thought the power seats were too slow..

-brian
Old 09-20-2003, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: F25 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobee
Sarafil, thanks for the good gouge. Been waiting a long time for info. Now the big decision; to go PP or go a la carte (Wood trim, computer, and Sunroof)...
What do you guys think abou the power seats? Last time I had it in my '02 325, I never used the memory and thought the power seats were too slow..

-brian
Brian I just ordered 2004 325ci and went a la carte to get rid of bmw assist. Got the power seats, moon roof, titanium trim. Lost the auto dimming mirror and wood trim. I'd rather have the bluetooth capability than an auto dimming mirror and bmw assist. Saved $800 to use on the bluetooth kit.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: '10 328XI Blue Metallic
So ...bottom-line ... on a new '04 3-series with PP, what does this mean? Does it mean I still can't get bluetooth or Sirius?

Larry
Old 09-20-2003, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: '03 996 C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels
So ...bottom-line ... on a new '04 3-series with PP, what does this mean? Does it mean I still can't get bluetooth or Sirius?

Larry
Well I know you can't get bluetooth, unless you uninstall BMW assist. I don't know about Sirius.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3again
Well I know you can't get bluetooth, unless you uninstall BMW assist. I don't know about Sirius.
Well it looks like BMW Assist will be useless for me. Anyone got the info on ripping it out so I can install BT? Sure it is just a matter of unplugging something in the harness that conflicts with the BT module.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: '03 996 C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn
Well it looks like BMW Assist will be useless for me. Anyone got the info on ripping it out so I can install BT? Sure it is just a matter of unplugging something in the harness that conflicts with the BT module.
Actually, I just found out from the dealer that there will be a bluetooth module for BMW assist in 09/04. No word on whether our BMW assist from 09/03 can be upgraded.

Also, you can apparently add a cradle and ANY v60 Motorola to BMW Assist and you have a fully functional phone (just like the CPT8000). But at a much lower cost, obviously. Not as cool as bluetooth, especially for those of us who already have bluetooth phones.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snewcrash
Brian I just ordered 2004 325ci and went a la carte to get rid of bmw assist. Got the power seats, moon roof, titanium trim. Lost the auto dimming mirror and wood trim. I'd rather have the bluetooth capability than an auto dimming mirror and bmw assist. Saved $800 to use on the bluetooth kit.
I thought the only way to get the titanium trim, you had to order the PP and opt for the titanium over the wood? If not, I think I'll go that route as well..

jet black w/ sand leatherette + titanium trim. What do you guys think? Does anyone have a pic?
Old 09-20-2003, 07:32 PM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
I thought the only way to get the titanium trim, you had to order the PP and opt for the titanium over the wood? If not, I think I'll go that route as well..
Titanium-look plastic trim is standard. Wood comes in the Premium Package, and can be replaced with "Aluminum Columns" trim.

Quote:
jet black w/ sand leatherette + titanium trim. What do you guys think? Does anyone have a pic?
Saw that same combo today. I'm not a fan of it out of personal preference, but it looked fine.

Old 09-21-2003, 06:20 AM

Thanks sarafil. "Aluminum Columns" is what I was thinking of.
Heard wood trim is no longer a stand alone option? Can anyone verify that?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
(snip)

The new 5 Series is also the first BMW to receive TeleService. When the sensors on the car detect that service will be needed soon, the car transmits key vehicle maintenance information to a web page available only to your Service Department, who will use this information to call the customer and arrange a convenient appointment... This innovative new feature, intended to enhance owner loyalty and retention at your center, will only work if you process an Electronic Subscriber Agreement on CenterNet before your service department preps the car for delivery, when they perform the BMW Assist initialization step. We have included 3 FRUs in the 5 Series QC1 payment for the ESA and Initialization activities. If they are not performed, the customer will not receive the benefits of BMW Assist and your center will not receive the TeleService information, squandering these valuable capabilities built into every 5 Series. You’ll be seeing TeleService on even more BMW models in the future, so please make BMW Assist and the ESA part of your everyday sales and delivery activities.

(snip)

They found a way to get arround the Do Not Call list.
Can the big brother function be disabled, leaving only the emergency road side assist functions?

Last edited by JetBlack330i; 09-21-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:00 AM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
Heard wood trim is no longer a stand alone option? Can anyone verify that?
This is true.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
This is true.
danke!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:26 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack330i

They found a way to get arround the Do Not Call list.
They didn't have to - every piece of Do Not Call legislation specifically allows calls from companies you have a prior business relationship with.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
They didn't have to - every piece of Do Not Call legislation specifically allows calls from companies you have a prior business relationship with.
Hmm... I have a business relationship with BMWNA.
If there are multiple dealerships in town, and they are all private owned franchises, which one will be calling me? I may prefer not to do business with the closest dealership. Anyways, I may not have prior business relationship with any local dealership.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:18 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack330i
Hmm... I have a business relationship with BMWNA.
If there are multiple dealerships in town, and they are all private owned franchises, which one will be calling me? I may prefer not to do business with the closest dealership. Anyways, I may not have prior business relationship with any local dealership.
From the brief description in the base note, it seems that the selling dealer will enter the information, which happens as part of telling BMW that the car has been sold (this should also be where the "in-service date" is logged, and the owner info for recalls, NAV disc updates, etc.).

Persumably if you went to another dealer and told them you wanted all your service done by them from now on, they could update the info the Assist system uses. Similarly, if you decided you didn't want automatic notification, there should be a way for the dealer to submit an update to disable it.