Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Dead Key--what to do?

My key is completely dead. I've tried recharging it on a 3 hr trip but nothing. Is it possible to take it apart and replace the battery?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monk View Post
My key is completely dead. I've tried recharging it on a 3 hr trip but nothing. Is it possible to take it apart and replace the battery?
It is, according to this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510

But it sounds as though it isn't easy, nor a guarantee of success.

Have you ruled out the in-car receiver - 2nd. key still works O.K.?

No chance that the key got laundered accidentally?

Call a dealer and ask if they do a "key reset" procedure?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monk View Post
Have you tried re-initializing it? Do a search and you will find step-by-step directions on how
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
It is, according to this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510

But it sounds as though it isn't easy, nor a guarantee of success.

Have you ruled out the in-car receiver - 2nd. key still works O.K.?

No chance that the key got laundered accidentally?

Call a dealer and ask if they do a "key reset" procedure?

Haha no laundering...2nd key works fine. I guess the battery is dead. I'll try the process in that link. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Boy do I have a story to tell about them keys...............

One weekend this past summer I went with the family and some friends to the Jersey shore, its been a few weeks since the last trip so we were all really excitedly and jumped into the Atlantic with joy.

A few hrs later we are ready to head back home, hmm...... where the hell is the key?! Looked thru all our stuff inside out and nothing, damn, looks like I lost it and we are stuck 40 miles away from home on a Sunday evening, in a state park that's about to close!! I figured even if I had called the BMW 24 hr roadside service, it will probably take hours before anyone comes, and even if they are coming they will not be able to get into the park to get to us......... oh I am really f---ed this time.

Then, my hand somehow brushed my swimming trunks, and it hit something stiff, trust me it was pretty cold by then, so it wasn't junior. To my surprise it was the key! But then the reality is hitting me hard again, it has been soaked in the ocean for the past couple of hours and there's no chance it would work................. right?

Guess what? It worked as perfectly as the day it was handed to me by the salesman, we are finally on the road home. Man, those BMW keys........

Last edited by 0428; 11-18-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Hah! That exact same thing happened to my friend and I at Honolua Bay on Maui. We spent the whole day snorkeling and when we walked back to the rental my buddy pulled out the ziploc pouch with the key in it and it was ruined!

It was a Chrysler 300 and didn't have a key ignition so we were dead in the water. We had to get a ride from a stranger back into town and then hire a taxi to deliver us a new key from the airport. $100 mistake + 4 hours of lost time on a very expensive vacation.

Made for a good story, though.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I might give this a try, but I have a feeling my case might not be a fault with the key.

Since Friday afternoon, my X3 won't respond to either key's remote locking/unlocking. Inserting the key and locking/unlocking manually works fine. The fuel door operates as it should, as does everything else except remote operation. The three fuses related to Central Locking checked out okay.

Oddly enough, it will respond on rare occasion, as in once a day at some random time. That's the case for both keys. And then it stops working a few hours later.

I was tempted to say a dead battery, but I use my key almost everyday and there's plenty of extended driving time. I find it weird that both keys would not remotely work all of a sudden.

Any clues?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
... Oddly enough, it will respond on rare occasion, as in once a day at some random time. That's the case for both keys. And then it stops working a few hours later.
Maybe a connection with the burning smell during your high speed mountain driving recently?

Not sure if the central locking receiver is in the center dash area behind the manual unlock key,
but could it be failing intermittently?

One of its components could have burnt out- which would give the cabin occupants an olfactory signal.

If the over-heated component was not too far gone, I suppose it's possible it could still work at odd times (when fully cooled down?).
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Any changes in your surrounding in terms of large electronic installations etc.? My keys don't work in a particular area of city where there is a huge AM radio transmitter, but I guess it won't apply in your case since you said they don't work in different area either. My suspicion would be that some gremlin making your car's computer out of sync with both keys, try reinitializing one, you have nothing to lose.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: x3 and Porsche Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Have you tried re-initializing it? Do a search and you will find step-by-step directions on how
Here you go: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1259364873

X3_terrestrial just posted this on my Newbie thread. Hope this copied link works.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM

I saw this somewhat different procedure that seems easier to follow,
and allows for different situations (1 working key, etc.):

http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_X...ogramming.html

Don't know how reliable the source is.

It implies the receiver is located in the driver's "B" pillar.

UPDATE: I now see that this is a U.K. site (instructions for other vehicles include Peugeots, Citroens and Renaults),
so holding the key over your left shoulder means pointing mid-car - ahead of the pano roof?)

Last edited by Supercourse; 11-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

I tried the reinitalisation multiple times and got no response from the vehicle.

I recently did install the front parking lights but that was well over a week ago, almost two weeks.

On Friday, I met up with Evlengr to see if we could secure the dangling wires underneath the hood since I had not secured them and had taped stuff together as a temporary measure. It worked fine that morning, and the first time it failed was after we'd finished securing the wires. No additional items were added except for some plastic wire ties which secured my wires to some existing ones running down the left side of the hood.

It was not raining Friday-Sunday, and the vehicle was garaged the few wet days before Thanksgiving.

The rest of the evening, I manually unlocked and locked with the key. The next morning, the remotes worked normally as if nothing happened. Luck ran out by the end of the morning.

On Sunday, the remote didnt work in the morning as I moved it about 10 metres to another part of the car park in my neighbourhood. As I walked away, the remote began to work normally again. But coming back a few hours later, it stopped working.

I think a visit to the dealership may be necessary.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Do this first, cut open those plastic ties, and secure the wires again but tying them in a different way. Just open them up and try your keys if they work. Check for any short circuits etc. Just thinking that there is a loop with those wires acting like antenna.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Do this first, cut open those plastic ties, and secure the wires again but tying them in a different way. Just open them up and try your keys if they work. Check for any short circuits etc. Just thinking that there is a loop with those wires acting like antenna.

Ahhh we did secure the wiring to another cable running along the interior which could have created some kind of RF interference. Good point.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
I saw this somewhat different procedure that seems easier to follow,
and allows for different situations (1 working key, etc.):

http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_X...ogramming.html

Don't know how reliable the source is.

It implies the receiver is located in the driver's "B" pillar.
Thanks! Number 2 worked for me using the good key first. I thought I needed a battery for sure.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

No luck in undoing the bindings. I don't have much time this week but perhaps I can squeeze a trip to the dealer, where they will tell me that some $1000 part is broken and I need to replace it.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
No luck in undoing the bindings. I don't have much time this week but perhaps I can squeeze a trip to the dealer, where they will tell me that some $1000 part is broken and I need to replace it.
Azn, if it is intermittently working it may just be that the battery is on its last leg. Are they the original batteries?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM

This is weird. I program one key and the other quits working and vice versa. There's got to be an answer.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Azn, if it is intermittently working it may just be that the battery is on its last leg. Are they the original batteries?
Yes. I will say that the remote has not worked since Sunday.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
This is weird. I program one key and the other quits working and vice versa. There's got to be an answer.
You have to program both the keys at the same time to keep them in sync.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. I will say that the remote has not worked since Sunday.
May be worth to check battery. Did you separate the wires completely though, similar to the when it was working?

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
May be worth to check battery. Did you separate the wires completely though, similar to the when it was working?
Yes everything was undone. Is there any way to check the battery? If it was dead, wouldn't the immobilser also not work and thus I shouldn't be able to start the car? My understanding is that the battery on these keys weren't really meant to be replaced, although I know it can be done. Plus, it seems almost coincidental that both keys would not work at the same time.

One knows he/she really cares about the car when it's the only thing stuck in my mind right now
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes everything was undone. Is there any way to check the battery? If it was dead, wouldn't the immobilser also not work and thus I shouldn't be able to start the car? My understanding is that the battery on these keys weren't really meant to be replaced, although I know it can be done. Plus, it seems almost coincidental that both keys would not work at the same time.

One knows he/she really cares about the car when it's the only thing stuck in my mind right now
Don't know how immobilizer works, may be someone can comment on it. You don't seem to have any issues starting/cranking the car so I would think that battery is fine. The key battery, I am guessing it will be floating ground with positive on the key. One way to measure would be to get the key into ignition, and measure the voltage between whatever small part of key is out to car's chassis, and then take the key out and measure the voltage between the two points again. You should see only some little drop assuming the key is getting charged while it's inserted in the ignition. Evlengr, you can probably come up with a better method of measuring the key battery voltage.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You have to program both the keys at the same time to keep them in sync.
I initialize one then the other. The last one works and the first one doesn't.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
I initialize one then the other. The last one works and the first one doesn't.
The time between initializations is important, they have to be done quickly.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)