Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Ben Carufel
Mein Auto: BMW Motorcycles
M Coupe retired to weekend car status -- already!

After about two weeks of M Coupe ownership (Friday was two weeks exactly) and over 2500 miles in my beloved Coupe, I broke down and bought a cheap daily driver today. I can't bear to put her in parallel parking situations (too many people here in San Diego think bumpers are just that -- bumpers!) and park her out in the sun all day when I'm on location.

I work for a commercial photographer, so sometimes we shoot in areas where I would rather not park the Coupe, or areas I'm not familiar with -- and therefore don't know what to expect parking wise. I figured this is cheap insurance.

The car is a 1985 325e 4 door. Luckily it's a 5 speed so it's not a TOTAL slug. Decent condition -- visually it's great, brand new all season tires, but the shifter is INCREDIBLY sloppy and the motor has some weird issues. It never fails to start, though. It's been my neighbor's extra car for a few years -- she and her husband have a Mercedes SUV and a Lexus SUV but have kept the BMW in the garage figuring they'd use it again someday, but she decided to get rid of it and I happened to be conveniently nearby...

Anyhow, with me being 18 years old, insurance on the M Coupe was about $229 a month. That, along with my $400+ monthly car payment, meant not too much fun money left after rent and other bills. I put the 325e on liability insurance, and the M Coupe on "secondary car" insurance. I specified that I would be driving the Coupe in the area of 8,000 miles per year, but the gentleman on the phone (21st Century Insurance) said they don't really care how much I drive it.

I ended up saving almost $900 a year on insurance by having the two cars instead of just my Coupe.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share...

p.s: I'm sure this has something to do with seller's remorse, too -- I sold my pristine 1989 325i Coupe almost three months ago when I started looking for an M Coupe to purchase...I still miss that car! It was my first car, and I owned it for about 11 months...
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
We've saved a lot of money over the years listing our BMWs as "leisure cars"
Photo gallery