Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Dr.

Send a message via AIM to doktajay Send a message via Yahoo to doktajay
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is
Question battery drain in my X5 4.8 (2007)

After parking the car for just one week i get a "increased battery drain" message and car is sluggish to start, does anyone have a similar problem and any clues?
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
I know your X5 is a completely different type of key than my 1996 328i that I had, but here is an interesting tale. I bought my 328i new and owned it for 9 years. It was a great car. Back around 2002 I was traveling overseas quite a bit and left my car in the garage at home. Normally I would leave my key in the ignition. Well, every time I got home from a 3-6 week trip, the battery would be dead. I had replaced the original with a Sears DieHard (because I had killed it too) and so I kept going back to Sears and getting my battery replaced. I checked the current draw several times with the key off (and out) and it measured 20ma. So I was puzzled. Then one time I was monitoring current draw at the battery, turned on the ignition, then back off. Current draw stayed at 150ma. Huh. I pulled out my key and the current draw dropped to 20ma. So I learned the hard way to take my key out of the ignition.

Check that out, also make sure no accessories are plugged into your 12VDC outlets. Beyond the basics that you can do, next step might be visit to a mechanic to check for more in-depth issues.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Dr.

Send a message via AIM to doktajay Send a message via Yahoo to doktajay
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is
thanks but car is keyless go, although i have the option of inserting the keypad in the ignition slot sometimes, might that be the problem? maybe i should start the car without inserting the key pad in the ignition slot and see; beyond this i have no electrical plug-ins accessories
Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 4.6 X5
I was having a similar problem in my 2001 x5 4.6 and I noticed the Onboard Computer wasn't turning off when I shut down the car. The screen remained backlit and when I re-started the car, it would pick up where I left off and wouldn't put up the disclaimer. It was like the computer wasn't shutting down. I just traded it in, but if I didn't pull the fuses in the back to turn the computer off, I would be jumping it in the morning.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
You have a parasitic drain, and need to get a parasitic drain test conducted. They are not too difficult and shouldn't take long, especially if you go to the dealer and they use a GT1/ICOM to do the test with.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktajay View Post
After parking the car for just one week i get a "increased battery drain" message and car is sluggish to start, does anyone have a similar problem and any clues?
This is a well documented and unresolved issue with E70 X5s. Do a little searching on ANY X5 forum and you will find numerous threads describing the issue.

Funf Dreisig
Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
From the SA training manual, "You are not driving it enough, BMW' are built to be driven". All kidding aside, +1 on Ryan's post!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
We had this problem with a 2008 X5 and of course the response from BMW was too many short trips. My wife uses the car to drive to and from the school where she teaches. 5.6 miles and the grocery store is also only a mile from the house. What BMW claimed was all these short trips never gave enough time for the battery to fully re-charge. I however did not accept this response because shortly after getting this answer we took a 300+ mile trip and after stopping at a hotel the next morning we got the same alert. What I found, BMW claims that my findings were not what was causing it, is if my blue tooth phone stayed connected to the vehicle after shut down the vehicle would get this alert.

How did I come to this conclusion:

I had a 2003 325i that would drain the battery when left at the airport for over a week. This was caused by the onboard computers waking up for a health check and never going back to sleep. BMW updated the software to correct this.

I took my X5 in expecting to get a similar answer. They kept the vehicle for a week and ran several parasitic drain tests. Of course the issue could not be re-created at the dealership. This is when I got the too many short trips. I was annoyed with this response and asked did they do a specific gravity test on the battery, the answer to that was no BMW does not do that. They did offer me a battery charger which I took but never used.

I stepped back and thought what was different from the X5 at home and the X5 at the dealership.

The only thing I could conclude was my blue tooth phone.

I recharge my phone on the nightstand next to my bed, our garage is located underneath the master bedroom so the phone and the car maintain their link.

The 300+ mile trip I left the phone in the car overnight with the bluetooth active, and that was when I had the drain alert.

I stopped keeping my blue tooth active when re-charging in the evening and I never leave the phone in the X5 while traveling. I also deleted the previous paring between the X5 and the phone. Since doing this I have not had any alerts.

Conclusion: If the bluetooth module remains active with a bluetooth device and the onboard computer does a health check both devices do not sleep correctly causing a slow battery drain. Because these devices do not drain allot of power this will only manifest itself when the battery is not in a fully charged state to begin with or over an extended period of time of inactivity.

Bottom line if you are under your warranty keep complaining. From the service manager at out dealership he agreed with me that something was draining the battery but until it failed he could not replace it because BMW would not pay for it.

I just traded in the 2008 X5 on a 2010 X5d. I am hoping the new vehicle does not have this issue since it has an upgrade technology package.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKBerg View Post
What I found, BMW claims that my findings were not what was causing it, is if my blue tooth phone stayed connected to the vehicle after shut down the vehicle would get this alert.

Excellent logic and diagnosis.

I guess the next question to see if it is generalized problem, is to ask those who have experienced the battery discharge issue whether they use a bluetooth-connected phone.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Excellent logic and diagnosis.....
I agree!

BUT I would not expect the E70 BlueTooth pairing -- by itself -- to be able to draw down a fully charged 12v car battery over night. So either the 12v battery began the night with a marginal charge and the overnight BlueTooth pairing pushed it 'over the edge'. Or the BlueTooth pairing is a trigger that fires up (and keeps awake) other electrical 'stuff' that draws more power.

FWIW on our E53 X5 we regularly (as in a couple of times a week for 6 years) left a 12v 40quart cooler plugged in (and running while parked with the engine off) for several hours without drawing down the battery enough to not start the X5. I know its not apples to apples. But it seems to me that a cooler running for several hours should draw a bunch more juice than a BlueTooth pairing overnight.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 11-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
Or the BlueTooth pairing is a trigger that fires up (and keeps awake) other electrical 'stuff' that draws more power. Funf Dreisig
That would be my guess.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That would be my guess.
Mine too.

BTW have you installed the continuous volt meter in your new 35d to monitor the E70 charging system?

I'm dying to hot wire the 12v outlet in the cargo bay to be always hot like it was in our E53 X5. But this unresolved battery drain issue makes me very reluctant to take the risk that it will push my wife's 35d over the edge and leave her stranded

So for now we load a couple of frozen bottles of water in the electric cooler so it 'keeps its cool' while her X5 is not running.

Funf Dreisig
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
BTW have you installed the continuous volt meter in your new 35d to monitor the E70 charging system? Funf Dreisig

Yup, but I forgot to do it Today, and it only monitors the voltage while the engine is running. So far it seems to run about 14.8-15.0 volts most of the time. When I get more data I'll take a closer look.

It also monitors coolant temperature, and I found that with a 50 degree ambient starting point, it take about 10-15 minutes of moderate operation to get up to operating temperature of around 195 degrees.

The chip collects a maximum of four parameters from the OBD-II buss, so I'm still testing to see which parameters BMW puts on the system for the chip to capture (it varies form manufacturer).
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Yup, but I forgot to do it Today, and it only monitors the voltage while the engine is running. So far it seems to run about 14.8-15.0 volts most of the time. When I get more data I'll take a closer look.
Hmmm... I would have expected to see the voltage drop back to 12.5 or so during acceleration due to the "regenerative braking' BMW brags about in their technology literature.

Quote:
It also monitors coolant temperature, and I found that with a 50 degree ambient starting point, it take about 10-15 minutes of moderate operation to get up to operating temperature of around 195 degrees.
Even more interesting. IIRC diesels really need to be at full operating temp before they run efficiently. So this probably explains the low fuel mileage reported by the OBC for short trips and during the early section of long trips.

Funf Dreisig
Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X5 4.8i
Battery Drain

INTRO
Just purchased my 2007 X5 4.8i (20,000 miles) today. This vehicle is immaculate and is a CPO. According to the dealership, the vehicle was on the lot for 38 days. The previous owner is a collector--or perhaps an enthusiast of high end autos. His other vehicles are exotic type sports cars. Anyhow, he traded this one for the X5 M. The reason I say this is to provide background on the overall condition of this vehicle. It was not a fleet or rental. The vehicle has every option except for the rear DVD. I really lucked in to this one.

ISSUES
The dealership is roughly 2 hours drive from my home. No problems on the trip home. Once home, I left my iPhone connected to the adapter (center console) and went about my business. An hour later, I decided to spend some time reading manuals and applying my settings. I sat in the vehicle, powerd up the electronics, and for about 10 minutes I adjusted everything. Suddenly, I received an audible alert (standard bling) with a battery icon on the instrument cluster. I immediately started the engine. No problems. I ran the engine for only a minute or so then powered it off. So I proceeded to finish the settings. About 5 minutes later I received another (bling) with battery icon. I tried to start the engine and noticed the icon with the car elevated on a lift. Ahh Sh#$%. No love. The wipers went half way up the windshield and that was the end of it.

Needless to say, I had to jump it with my ever reliable GX470. The dealer provided the USB / iPod jack. I assume this is OEM or approved. But I have to think that the iPhone / Bluetooth connection is the culprit--as lame as that may sound.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanyai View Post
....Needless to say, I had to jump it with my ever reliable GX470.....
Did you have any trouble jumping the X5? For example, did you have to leave the jumpers on for a few minutes? Or did it start right up after you attached the jumpers?

I ask because others, who have posted that their E70 X5 wouldn't start, have said that the tow truck driver (or someone similar i.e. not themselves) was unable to get their E70 jump started. Hence it had to be towed. Some of the E70 literature indicates that the system(s) that monitors the battery only wakes up every 5 min to check the voltage for starting. So there has been some speculation that you might have to leave the jumpers attached for up to 5 min. to be able to jump an E70 X5.

FWIW the problem with fully loaded E70 X5s is that they have lots of stuff that does not turn off when they are parked (e.g. the Comfort Access system stays on for up to 192 hours 'groping' for a key). This makes them both more vulnerable to the dreaded low battery issues and more difficult to diagnose.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 11-22-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:30 PM

I left the GX running for 5 minutes or so. I think the owner's manual suggests this. But for sure, I waited atleast 5 minutes.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:30 PM

Oh yea, today, i have not driven anywhere--but I have started the ignition twice with no problems.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanyai View Post
I left the GX running for 5 minutes or so. I think the owner's manual suggests this. But for sure, I waited at least 5 minutes.
This 5 minutes may be critical to a successful jump start. Since some of the system(s) that monitor battery voltage and enable/disable the ability to start the engine may* only wake up every 5 min. when the battery is below the "start capability limit". In any case it gives the X5 battery a little time to charge using the jump vehicle's charging system.

FWIW In the accounts of unsuccessful jump starts that I've read, the owner did not know how long the jumpers were attached before attempting to start the X5. I suspect most people (especially a tow truck driver) would clip on the jumpers and give it a try to see if it even responded. Since the X5 actually "disables" starting, it probably does absolutely nothing and they give up before the system(s) wake up, get their act together and re-enable starting.

Funf Dreisig

* the info I'm using comes from the description of E70 Energy Management. Even after reading this document a couple of times it is not clear to me exactly how long it takes for the X5 to re-enable starting once the battery falls below the "start capability limit". But there are several references to times as long a 5 minutes for various parts of the overall energy management system. Hence my suggestion to wait at least 5 minutes to give all the systems plenty of time to wake up and enable starting of an X5.

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 11-22-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 S7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktajay View Post
thanks but car is keyless go, although i have the option of inserting the keypad in the ignition slot sometimes, might that be the problem? maybe i should start the car without inserting the key pad in the ignition slot and see; beyond this i have no electrical plug-ins accessories
I use to have an issue with my 2007 with comfort access. Make sure you press the stop button long enough and lock the auto when away. I was told that between my fast pressings on the stop button which stopped the engine but had the auto in accessory mode. Also not locking the auto kept it in standby mode rather than truly shutting it off.

That is what I was told and I do not have the issue anymore. I did need to replace a battery also so who knows.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
i had the same problem, 2 years ago , i was advised to unplug fuses etc , nothing worked , i took it to the dealers and it turned out that the on board computer stereo went in to sleep mode which was draining the battery , the whole strereo console had to be replace which cost 1100 pounds , since then touch wood no problems, hope this hepl you.x
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 S7
Battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd View Post
i had the same problem, 2 years ago , i was advised to unplug fuses etc , nothing worked , i took it to the dealers and it turned out that the on board computer stereo went in to sleep mode which was draining the battery , the whole strereo console had to be replace which cost 1100 pounds , since then touch wood no problems, hope this hepl you.x
I am on my third battery and the SUV is back in the shop for about three weeks now with me having it two days. New battery Monday, new sunroof cousel and two days later back in due to same battery drain issue. Horrid for realibility. I will suggest the stereo to my advisor as they and BMW (Barely Moving Worry) and I know it seem lost.

My E70 is literally the joke of work
Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Since my issue back in 11/2009, I have only had one other issue. I left the USB Fob in the port for about 8 hours. The battery was nearly drained -- but reluctantly provided just enough power to start the truck. My house is only a block from my office. So, I drove around for a few miles before going straight home. Problem solved. I really think the issue is with the stereo. It wakes up and wants to communicate with anything plugged in.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
x5 drain

I had the same problem - an auto electrician traced it to the climate control unit - can't remember what he did but this was not turning off totally , it looked like it was but as this did not turn off the on board computer did not then go to sleep when you had removed the keys - if anyone need the exact info i can source it - a new relay springs to mind now for the fan controller. apparently this is a common fault

cheers

mark
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM

The last two times I've detailed the truck, the battery has died. When I detail the vehicle, it typically takes me about 3 hours. After the initial battery drain, I purchased a pretty decent charger which takes about an hour to recharge. I really don't know much about the climate control issue. But, this sounds plausable. I have made one correlation though. Over the prior three times i've washed the truck, the battery has drained twice. In both drainage cases, I have been using my Iphone connected to a bose speaker (plugged into the garage). I did not disable bluetooth. The other time (no drain) I did not have the phone connected to any device and it was inside the house. Also, when detailing the vehicle, I made certain to never leave the doors open whatsoever. So, something was draining the battery. Perhaps the bluetooth -- or maybe the climate control system. What I do know is this: the key was not left in the ignition; the vehicle was fully powered down; the doors were always closed; nothing was connected to the usb port.

This weekend, I will test my theory by turning off the bluetooth whilst washing the truck.