Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 11-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
Good buy?

Hey guys, I have been talking with someone about buying this e28. I wanted to get your guys' take on it before snatching it up. It seems like a super deal, the only thing I am questioning is the power output, being a 528e. I am used to the power of an e46 330. This is not a humongous deal but I'm guessing these are at the lower end of the 5 series?
Well, here are the details:
170,000 miles
One family owned (bought new in 1988, sold to his son who might be selling it to me)
Clean Carfax (have not confirmed this yet)
Serviced by a European shop that works exclusively on BMWs and Porsches
New tires all around
New front brakes (rotors and pads)
Rear brakes are one year old
Leather seats, sunroof
Timing belt replaced several times over the life of the car (should I be worried??)

His regular shop had all the records but he said their computer crashed in 1995, so he doesn't have any before 1995. He also said he lost the title and the new one will be coming in shortly.
I'll be using this as an all season car, and with winter approaching I'm concerned about it's performance in the snow. I imagine this can be fixed with a good set of snow tires (this holds true for all BMWs )
Two weeks ago he was asking 2750, but now is down to 2000 which I think is a steal!!

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Manualaholic

For some reason photobucket doesn't want to display pictures using the html code, so here are some links:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sim/bmw3-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sim/bmw2-3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sim/bmw1-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...interior-3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...riorrear-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...partment-4.jpg

Forgot to mention in the first post that the transmission was rebuilt 3 or 4 years ago. If I could change one thing on this car, it would be a manual...

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Well the 1988 528e is the best of the 528e, it is known as the super eta. The M20 was given more power that year. It is still not a fast car. If the the car has a LSD diff then it will handle very well in the snow. I was driving my 528e in 12 inches of snow and it went right through it without snow tires. If it only has a open diff it is not great in the snow.
As to the timing belt it is suppose to be replaced every 60 thousand miles. f the belt is not replaced they have a bad habit of breaking and ruining the engine. I would also se if the the heater blower works and when the front end was last replaced. The e28 tends to need work on the front. But as to a daily driver it is a good car, I get between 27 to 30 miles to the gallon. As to it being a steal for 2000, they tend to go for around that price.

Andy
Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: Biiiiimmer
When it comes to the E28's preformace in the snow you really don't have to worry, the e28 is really well balanced and in alot of ways a blast to drive during winter.
Where I lived last year during the winter season we have pretty much 6 or 7 feet of snow in the landscape all winter, with a good 7 to 10 inches of snow on the roads before the snow plow has been out, I had horrible studded tires which should have been thrown away some time before year 2000. And even with that much snow on the road there was never a problem getting anywhere.
But like any old BMW without traction controll, getting to know your car is crusial, no matter how carefully you drive the rear end of the car has a tendency to want to go sideways. (I neeeever do it on purpose) but the thing is that if you get to know the E28 well, the rear end loosing traction is about as dramatic as taking walking to the kitchen and getting a cup of coffee in the morning.

Like previously mentioned above here if the car has the limitied slip differential which gives 25% lock (not 100% certain about that number) its winter preformance its miles better than the E36 3-series to mention one.
Even without that limited slip differential the E28 has better traction and does better in just about every single way on winter condtions than the E36 3-series, just got our first day of snow last night here, I just had to take the old bird (E28 520i with that limited slip diff) out for a run and I can only say that I really look forwards to snow covered roads now

A couple of errors on these cars which is worth mentioning are:
Seat backs have a tendency to break - Easy to fix
The cooling channel in the cylinder head, the one all the way to the back towards the driver compartment has a tencendy to break, leaking the coolant into the cylinder head. - (This is atleast a problem for the m20b20. Don't know if its the same for the m20b28)
Rust in the doors.

Hmm can't really think of anything more but its 6am so abit tired here.

And one good really good thing about the E28 the handbreak actually works! Unlike the E36, E46, E39 where the handbreak really reallly dosn't work even if you replace all the parts.

Lots of useless info here but bottom line. Driving in the winter really isn't something you need to worry about.

-And pardon my poor spelling on grammar, I'm tried
Old 11-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Manualaholic

Hi guys, I appreciate the detailed input. In looking around for similar 5's, Argonaut posted one for sale a few days ago... 1983 with 140,000 miles for $1400. Maybe I can get this car for 1500??
Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
I would say look for a clean car (no rust on the bottom of the doors, in the tire wheels or check the back trunk channels) I don't have to drive in the snow, so I'm no help there. One of the continuing sagas for these 5ers is the brakes and rotors that tend to warp (reoccurances) So check on the test drive. Usually noticeable when driving/breaking around 15-25 mph. Steering fluid leaks are also common (at least for mine it was). I would recommend looking for an E30 motor car (528i or 535i). I think you will be much happier. Should still be around the same pricing pending condition of the car.
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/