Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335 I
Z4 Winter tires

Just purchased a 2009 BMW 335I cabriolet so the Z4 had to go ! Currently have a set of 4 winter tires on rims in excellent shape good for Z4 2003 to 2008 models.

Asking $1,300 will accept any reasonable offer. Contact greatdad18@hotmail.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw date code 001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	208479  
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
I recently tried to move the winter tires/wheels that I used on my 2007 Z4 onto my 2009 Z4 and I found that these 17" wheels did not fit. The problem was only on the front: the brake caliper is rubbing against the wheel.

As I haven been looking for options, I have been told that the 2009/10 35i has larger front brakes than the 30i and previous Z4 models. I was looking at purchasing a set of Style 290 wheels from someone who just took the standard 17" wheels off of his 2009 30i and now it appears that they won't fit on the front of my car.

Does anyone have specific definitive information on this topic? I'd love to know if the Style 290 wheels will fit on my car or not.

TIA,
Danny
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Okay, so here's where I am so far.

The BMW Canada web site is current advertising a winter tires and wheels package for 2009 and later model Z4 cars. Interestingly, the package does not differentiate between the 30i and 35i. The recommended package uses Style 290 wheels.

Problem solved, right? Wrong. Elsewhere on the BMW Canada web site one can shop for accessories. If you say that you're looking for accessories for a 2009 and on Z4 and look at the 17" wheels, the 290 is listed, but the listing specifically states that the Style 290 wheels are not for use on the 35i. So, it seems that this official web site contains contradictory information.

The same information is not available on the BMW USA web site. I could not locate a telephone number for BMW Canada in order to call them and discuss this contradictory information. I called a BMW dealer in Canada (Otto's in Ottawa) to see if they could end this problem but that didn't help either. The Parts Department indicated that the front rotors for the 30i and 35i were indeed different parts (supporting the hypothesis that the wheel intended for the 30i may not fit on the 35i), but went on to say that their catalog (published by BMW Canada) indicated that the winter tire/wheel package for all E89 models used the Style 290 wheel.

Curiouser and curisouer.

I'll keep trying to dig into this tomorrow. Perhaps I will be able to get a number for BMW Canada if I keep looking.

Update: The BMW UK site also indicates that the Style 290 wheels are not for the sDrive 35i.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Smile Mystery solved!

I thought I'd post one more message into this thread with the answer to my own question.

Yes: Style 290 BMW wheels will fit on a 2009 E89 Z4 sDrive35i.

I purchased set of 290 wheels earlier today and I can report from direct personal experience that the wheels work on my 35i. I hope this information / confirmation is helpful for others looking at various wheel options.