Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 3.0i Sport
Thumbs up Parking brake - 2007 Z4 3.0i

Dropped the car off at the dealership to have a headlight bulb replaced and the horn fixed. Figured as long as it was there, I'd have them check out a metallic, rotational noise coming from my rear wheel for the last couple of weeks (thought I had a dust shield or squeal pad out of alignment.)

Got a call from the SA yesterday... found the cause of the noise.

He asked me if I had been driving with the parking brake engaged (I have not) because the 'parking brake shoes were completely worn out.' Can't figure out how that could have happened. They're going to replace/repair/adjust them under warranty/goodwill so no worries there.

The only thing I can think of is that the brake may not be fully disengaging when released, so it basically gets worn out. Have had a few instances where after parking overnight or a day or 2, upon release and then backing up, the brake is 'hung', so I re-engage it and re-release it, which seems to clear it.

Was just wondering if anyone else has run into this or if there are any known TSRs, etc out there about it.

tia,

bob p
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjmpr View Post
Dropped the car off at the dealership to have a headlight bulb replaced and the horn fixed. Figured as long as it was there, I'd have them check out a metallic, rotational noise coming from my rear wheel for the last couple of weeks (thought I had a dust shield or squeal pad out of alignment.)

Got a call from the SA yesterday... found the cause of the noise.

He asked me if I had been driving with the parking brake engaged (I have not) because the 'parking brake shoes were completely worn out.' Can't figure out how that could have happened. They're going to replace/repair/adjust them under warranty/goodwill so no worries there.

The only thing I can think of is that the brake may not be fully disengaging when released, so it basically gets worn out. Have had a few instances where after parking overnight or a day or 2, upon release and then backing up, the brake is 'hung', so I re-engage it and re-release it, which seems to clear it.

Was just wondering if anyone else has run into this or if there are any known TSRs, etc out there about it.

tia,

bob p
Ask them if this bulletin applies to you car.
SIB 34 03 06 dated March 2006

Parking Brake Noise

MODEL
E85 (Z4)

SITUATION
When the parking brake is not being applied, the brake shoes rub on the brake drum and cause grinding or squeaking noises.

CAUSE
Faulty parking brake pressure springs.

CORRECTION
In case of a customer complaint, install improved pressure springs (4x).

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number 34 40 6 774 707 ($1.37r each)
Description Pressure springs
Quantity 4

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 11-18-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
There was a similar issue with the parking break on the Z3's, as just after I bought my used '00 Z3 I began noticing a metallic rattling noise coming from the rear of my rig, seemingly from the tire/wheel area. Took it in, along with copies of various threads from this BB suggesting that such a noise could be caused by the parking break needing an adjustment, and sure enough, the adjustment did the trick.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 3.0i Sport
Thanks for the input. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the parking brake was badly out of adjustment. Picked up the car and the brake lever has an entirely different feel to it now.

thx again
bob p