Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: Mitsubishi
I just bought the Consumer Report 2010 review booklet searching for what they have to say about the X3s. They recommend the newer X3 and from the Used cars at various price ranges they recomend the 04-05 and the 06 as well.

Like I said tomorrow I am going back for a second test drive to see if I pick any transmission problem or the bouncy vs sporty ride. You guys are recommending the car with Xenon and I am trying to convince the wife but she still firm on the other one. At the end the car is for her, I already have my truck. Quick question? have anyone tried to retrofit Xeon to regular headlights, I am sure it could be done, expensive but is it more that replacement the lights and other compoments in the front? or you have to rewire and installed other stuff.

Figman
Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
To retrofit xenons, at minimum you have to

*Buy new headlamps. Yes, the whole unit, not just a bulb.
*Buy the ballasts
*Reprogram the Light Control Module
You may also need a new light switch.

The cost would be anywhere $1200-2000. No one has done it before, if that's any indicator.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Hummm, I did test drive a couple of X3 before buying mine, and most 2.5 did not have xenons, and about 1 or 2, 2006 3.0i did not have the xenons either...They were all CPO'd models.
I think those must have been U.S. models imported by the dealer to sell as CPO's.

Quite definitely (I still have the 2004 Price Guide) "Xenon headlighlights with auto-leveling and high-beam function" shows as Standard for both the 2.5i and the 3.0i, and the Adaptive feature shows as an Option at $490.

(I tried to scan the price list, but its pale blue background, small font and general layout makes it impossible to read - with my scanning s/w at least.)

AFAIK, this did not change for 2005/6 Canadian models.

As enamoured corroborates, it was not until the 2010 X3 xDrive28i model that you could get one without xenons.

Most Canadian buyers did not opt for the pricey adaptive option, but I am thankful the original owner of mine did - it helped clinch our private sale deal.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
Thanks for all your comments, she still deciding on which to get; winter package vs lighting package. I am taking a second test drive tomorrow, want to make sure the transmission is not having the issues as the '07 and to double check on the bouncy ride.

I will keep you posted...
IMO black interiors hold up better long term than lighter colored ones but they also need lots of maintenance because you can see every single speck of anything in them. Ditto black exteriors. Black is also much hotter in the summer if that is an issue in your neck of the woods.

Even with the lightest tan interiors, good maintenance keeps them looking nice for many years especially if you have a good detailer. You can also get custom fitted covers if you intend to get really dirty.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments, she still deciding on which to get; winter package vs lighting package. I am taking a second test drive tomorrow, want to make sure the transmission is not having the issues as the '07 and to double check on the bouncy ride.

I will keep you posted...

Well, if you get the option 2, get started right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...item3a54f03190
Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Ok here is more information

Option 1 with 33K was registered as a personal car in Upstate NY and has original warranty until 08/10; because already have 33K the 30K service including brakes were done recently.

Option 2 with 23K was registered as a lease car in Texas and according to the records it has original warranty until 06/10; I doubt my lady will put 7K in the car until May. Does this mean the next 30K service is on me?

Both options have the CPO two year warranty after original warranty expires.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Option 2 with 23K was registered as a lease car
Lease, as a car rental compagnie, or a 36-39 months lease with BMW credit?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:40 AM

06BMWX3 what do you think from the point of view of personal vs lease or the mileage difference? I know I am repeting myself... do you think my wife will like the heated seats in new york during the winter versus the ligth package. you sent a link for Xenon lights which looks good, the ligths from the lighting package are fixed or the move besides the different bulb.

Thanks again
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
06BMWX3 what do you think from the point of view of personal vs lease or the mileage difference? I know I am repeting myself... do you think my wife will like the heated seats in new york during the winter versus the ligth package. you sent a link for Xenon lights which looks good, the ligths from the lighting package are fixed or the move besides the different bulb.

Thanks again
First, I thought it might be a car from a rental/lease compagnie like Hertz or Budget, but they probably mean it was a lease from BMW. Cause I know for sure I would NEVER buy a car from a leasing/rental fleet.

In my case, now that I have them both here in our cold climate, snow strom condition's, heated seats and xenons is definatly a must for me and my gf, she even noticed the diferences between halogen and xenons(shes not into cars at all)

I dont want to get myself to deep with xenons retrofit, but those seems only to be the housing, my guess it still need ballast's and the leveling sensors underneath the car. But dont quote me on that one, maybe the ballast are included in the housing.....My knowledge with BMW is still pretty new
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
First, I thought it might be a car from a rental/lease compagnie like Hertz or Budget, but they probably mean it was a lease from BMW. Cause I know for sure I would NEVER buy a car from a leasing/rental fleet.

In my case, now that I have them both here in our cold climate, snow strom condition's, heated seats and xenons is definatly a must for me and my gf, she even noticed the diferences between halogen and xenons(shes not into cars at all)

I dont want to get myself to deep with xenons retrofit, but those seems only to be the housing, my guess it still need ballast's and the leveling sensors underneath the car. But dont quote me on that one, maybe the ballast are included in the housing.....My knowledge with BMW is still pretty new
+1 on everything. Never buy from rental companies and Xenons and heated seats are a must. I have lived in NJ for quite some time and I know the weather there, trust me Xenons and heated seats BOTH are a blessing. You won't realize its importance if you don't have it, once you experience it though you would know what you have been missing.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Well, if you get the option 2, get started right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...item3a54f03190
Wouldnt he might as well buy some off eBay in Europe to get the clear headlight corners?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Figman, I think you are receiving some very good advice from many here. If I would to reduce it to its essence it would be this: exercise some patience and look for another used X3 that has both the Xenons and heated seats. There are many, many, solid used X3's in the marketplace right now, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris View Post
Figman, I think you are receiving some very good advice from many here. If I would to reduce it to its essence it would be this: exercise some patience and look for another used X3 that has both the Xenons and heated seats. There are many, many, solid used X3's in the marketplace right now, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

X2
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
figman, my '07 has both heated seats and adaptive Xenons, and, as much as I love the way-cool Xenons, I (and my wife!) would not ever want to give up the heated seats, especially when those cold winter nights get here! good luck with your search -- you will love the X3!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Don't forget the heated steering wheel, it really compliments the heated seats.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Okay friends I took a second test drive yesterday. First I drove the one with 33K miles and the Pirelli tires and did not feel anything funny with the transmission, it feel a little loose compare with the newer one that feel tighter. The ride is a bit bouncy but not as bad as my truck with solid front and rear axles. The second car with 23K feels a bit tigher, it could be that is newer and less mileage, this one has the Bridgestone tires. It felt ok while driving however on one instance while I was accelerating on a straight line then I had to stop it downshifted in a funny way. it could be that the fith gear just kicked in and then I had to stop. I tried to replicate the situation but it not do it anymore. I really don't think is a problem but wanted to mention it . I like I said I tested both and everything seems to be working fine, after many conversations with the wife it look like we will be making an offer for the less miles with the Xenon package, I will keep you posted.

Thanks a million for all your help

Figman
Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Friends:

any last comment, I will be making a decision tomorrow by noon, again your help has been greatly appreciated for the last couple days... I can't wait.....

Thanks again,

Figman
Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Try to get some sleep. And make sure the dealer supplies ALL the manuals; owner's manual, radio manual, Telephone/BT if applicable, service manual.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 and all three keys!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Just remember that Consumer Reports recommended the Pinto.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
+1 and all three keys!
Well, to avoid confusion, it's actually 2 Master keys and one plastic valet key.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Or two keys with remotes on the head and one thin plastic key with an embedded chip.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Figman and his wife must be out for a spin . . . the lonnnnnggggggg way home!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Not yet my friends; I closed the deal today, it looks like the financial piece when thru, last I heard the the dealership was talking to my insurance agent. BMW is going to double check everything on the car and will be ready for pick up on Friday. The wife is very happy I can tell... decided on option #1 23K miles with the Xenon lighting package. Thank you all for your support.

Let's see what a BMW ownership brings me, Thanks again

Figman
Old 11-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Congratulations! Please post some pics after you get the X3 home and have the time to take them.