Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 S52, 2002 S54
S54 Oil Accumulator

I'm finally taking over the maintenance of my M Roadster from my dealer and doing my first oil change. Now that I have it up on the lift, I see that it has an oil leak. I remove the under tray, and can see a drip coming from the lowest point of the line that connects the VANOS accumulator to the head. The line is being held together by a screw clamp, is this right? When I look at RealOEM, the parts diagram shows a line with crimped fittings. Would a dealer mechanic to save time just cut the line and put it back together with a screw clamp? That doesn't seem like a secure way to seal against 1700 or so psi.

Has anyone seen the replacement part and can verify whether it a also uses a screw clamp?

Thanks,

John

2002 M Roadster
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4MC AW/IR
Surprisingly, it is a screw clamp. Try tightening it.

Last edited by car62; 11-18-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
I had the same problem with my car. The hose clamp only holds the silver insulation on the line (not any pressure) You have to replace the line, it's a SS flex hose under the insulation thats leaking not a big deal to replace about $80.00 .
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
I'm finally taking over the maintenance of my M Roadster from my dealer and doing my first oil change. Now that I have it up on the lift, I see that it has an oil leak. I remove the under tray, and can see a drip coming from the lowest point of the line that connects the VANOS accumulator to the head. The line is being held together by a screw clamp, is this right? When I look at RealOEM, the parts diagram shows a line with crimped fittings. Would a dealer mechanic to save time just cut the line and put it back together with a screw clamp? That doesn't seem like a secure way to seal against 1700 or so psi.

Has anyone seen the replacement part and can verify whether it a also uses a screw clamp?

Thanks,

John

2002 M Roadster
See realoem pic.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=15&hl=4

I also have one (new) for sale if interested.
Current retail is $83.67. I'll sell it for $52 shipped via check.
$53.86 via paypal to ronstygar@aol.com

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 11-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Your best bet is to go with Ron. He helped me a lot when I did mine he gave me torque specs and what I needed to do the job, Thanks again Ron.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
See realoem pic.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=15&hl=4

I also have one (new) for sale if interested.
Current retail is $83.67. I'll sell it for $52 shipped via check.
$53.86 via paypal to ronstygar@aol.com

Great! I've sent you an e-mail.

I did look at the RealOEM pic, and it doesn't show the outer cover and screw clamp. I'm glad to know the screw clamp just holds on the outer silver cover!

John
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks, Ron!

I just want to publicly thank Ron for his outstanding service! The line is here already, long before I cleaned the car well enough to install it.

That thing must have been leaking since new; there were places where the oil sludge had built up to almost a quarter inch. Even with a lift and bottle brushes, it's no picnic, but after a quart of Simple Green I'm almost done from the bottom; then I'll drop it and work down from the top, then lift it and re-clean the bottom...

I knew there was gonna be trouble when I removed the lower cover and a P/S cap fell out...

Thanks again, Ron!