Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 525i
Control arm install question: Bushing side

OK...I just installed a new center link, tie rods, sway bar links, and all 4 control arms on my 92' 525 . I have read in the Bentley that the front wheels need to be on the ground and the car needs to be level before tightening the bushings....I have read a few posts here that say to put the front on ramps so that you can get to the bushing bolts.....will the angle that the car sits on the ramps affect the bushings when tightened or does it really just need the weight of the car at any angle? I really don't want to do all of this and wind up damaging the bushings when tightening....I was thinking I would put the front on ramps and rear on blocks but only if it is necessary....
Thanks for any advice!!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Just put the car on ramps and you will be fine, it needs the weight. I have also done it with out any weight (I did not read the manual) and it does cause them to wear faster.

Then get the front aligned.

Andy
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 91 e34 525
did you do the arms, or just the bushings? if just bushings, how hard was it to get them into the control arm?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM

I got the arms with bushing, the ball joint boots were all torn up, didn't see the point in replacing the bushing and keeping torn boots......
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Steering issue???? need help please.....

OK, I posted earlier that I replaced the center link, L & R tie rods, sway bar links, and all 4 control arms.....I tightened the bushing ends tonight and took it for a ride....the car feels tighter, no shimmy when brakes are applied........BUT....now it does not return to center when I turn the wheel.....ex: When turning left, if I would let go of the wheel mid-turn I would go in circles........I loosened the box adjustment as loose as possible, I checked the torque on the idler arm bolt.....am I missing something???? It did not have this problem before....When backing out of my driveway the wheel returned to center, felt normal, but going forward is a different story....I pulled into my driveway and turned the wheel almost all the way to the R, I then let go of the wheel and it continued turning until it was turned all the way ...?????
Any ideas????? Please
Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 525, 1991 535
did you measure the old tie rods when you took them out. the new ones should be adjusted to the same length when they are installed. after all this work you have the car aligned asap. fwiw.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Yes, I measured them and got them as close as i could...While this was going on I had the struts hanging down (no control arms attached) I imagine the alignment is off regardless of how close I got the tie rods....I really would not have imagined that alignment would do this but I guess it would....right?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 525iT
Alignment can make a big difference. Even though you got the tie-rod length close, you have now taken up any wear in all the ball joints and bushings, so the alignment is definitely going to be off.

Nice looking 944 in the background by the way.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, PORSCHE, LOTUS
Take it into Pep girl for an alignment. No need to take it to a fancy smacy suspension shop since the only adjustment is TOE.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1990.5 e34 525 iA
I disagree. It sounds like he needs more than toe.

Caster is what returns the wheel to center is it not? It sounds to me like you have removed all of the caster in your alignment that will straighten out your front wheels when moving forward.

Wiki
Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 90 535iM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf-porsche View Post
Take it into Pep girl for an alignment. No need to take it to a fancy smacy suspension shop since the only adjustment is TOE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Entry View Post
I disagree. It sounds like he needs more than toe.

Caster is what returns the wheel to center is it not? It sounds to me like you have removed all of the caster in your alignment that will straighten out your front wheels when moving forward.

Wiki
What porsche is saying is that the only adjustable position on e34's is the toe.
You can no adjust caster, and you can only adjust camber if you purchase aftermarket camber plates.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Well I took the car to a local Ford dealer that had a sale on alignments ($30 for front end alignment)...One thing I did was forget that I had adjusted my steering box screw all the way out, their report came back saying that my steering box was loose, i wish i had adjusted it back and then had them check it...Anyway....The car is about 95% better, the wheel returns almost all the way....Would all new parts make for stiffness in the steering and affect the return of the wheel? Another possibility is that The box is still a little tight from me adjusting it back....I guess I could adjust it out a little more but I don't want it to be too loose...right now there is a little "play" when going straight....but I think I have some issues in the rear that need addressed too (dogbones are SHOT)....
long story short....the Alignment Helped
BTW: the 944 Turbo belongs to my Brother.....He actually just got an e34 for a daily driver...I have already been giving him advice based on what i have learned from this site and my own personal e34 adventures.....
Thanks for all of the help!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1990.5 e34 525 iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmp411 View Post
the only adjustable position on e34's is the toe.
You can not adjust caster, and you can only adjust camber if you purchase aftermarket camber plates.

I see. Good to know thank you!