Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
Question Nav update for MY 2009+?

So MY2009+ nav is HDD-based and supposedly requires a dealer to update. Anyone know how/when/if the next update is available? How much will it cost and how will we know what is updated? No DVD website to consult now!

I've ranted before about the transition from the earlier E90 system to the crappiest Tele Atlas database known to humans. It is so bad, there should be an SIB to fix it.
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
I'm curious too. However I don't believe it will require a dealer to update. From what I was told, you buy an update DVD and insert the disc into the player. It will automatically load the new software onto the HDD and once it's done you remove the DVD and don't need it again. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen since they haven't offered an update yet (and many cars have a database that is now over a year old). I've gone to the Tele Atlas web site but unfortunately they don't list products for BMWNA.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
Tele Atlas does list BMW nav databases, but for 2004 and earlier models only.

Who updated depends on if we are given the enable code:

According to the CIC tech. sheet (search forum),

The maps data can be updated in two different ways:
• Updating the BMWprogramming system
In this case, the map data in the CIC is updated through the Ethernet connection in
the diagnostic connector. The data is enabled by means of an enable code that
needs to be downloaded and entered into the BMW programming system.
• Using a complete DVD set
The DVD is loaded directly into the head unit. The enable code can then be entered
directly into the iDrive system by the customer or service technician using the
"speller”. The customer can still continue navigating with the old map material after
loading the CD and starting the update procedure. A reset is triggered in the CIC
immediately on completion of the update procedure and the customer continues to
navigate with the new map material. The navigation destination, last destination and
contact data are retained. The update can be interrupted at any time and continued
when ever the trip is resumed.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Tastes like chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHakim View Post
Tele Atlas does list BMW nav databases, but for 2004 and earlier models only.
But it doesn't list for BMWNA, regardless of year, which was my original point. That site is for Europe only.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Nav update

If your vehicle is equiped with the idrive system you do not update your navigation system with a DVD. Your system will be updated through the dealer when they plug it into their system and update it. This costs around $199 which is about the same cost as the nav disc. I firmly believe this is a complete overcharge but, what do you do?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi LCI
Does anyone know if updating the nav maps in this way (eg having the dealer do it because you have hdd iDrive system) also updates any of the iDrive software too? Or is it just maps, POIs, etc?

I've seen screenshots of supposed 2012 iDrive screens and they look different than my 2009 iDrive screens. And I want them
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Got some 2012 DVD North America Professional Maps (East & West)... $20 mailed... These maps are good for CCC Navigation.

Shoot me an email to bmwminicoding [at] gmail [dot] com.

Last edited by icuc; 05-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Tastes like chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Got some 2012 DVD North America Professional Maps (East & West)... $20 mailed... These maps are good for CCC Navigation and CIC if you have the FSC codes..

Shoot me an email to bmwminicoding [at] gmail [dot] com.

The CCC discs (2 disc set) and the CIC discs (3 disc set) are different. There is no East & West for the CIC discs.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
The CCC discs (2 disc set) and the CIC discs (3 disc set) are different. There is no East & West for the CIC discs.
Thanks for the clarification..