Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Rattle/Creak Fix Compilation

A while back 3-5 months ago I came accross a thread with a post that talked about all the places they put felt to reduce the rattles/creaks etc. Does anyone know where it is . I have looked and searched but I have not been able to find it. I don't think it was a thread starter but a reply to someones complaints about all the rattles.

My car is really silent but I really get a lot of noise when i go over bad expansion joints on the highway and I wanted to get some of the more common rattles taken care of !

THX

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ZPP/ZCW/ZPP/iPod/USB/CA/SMARTPHONE/MT
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Debadge
BMW Performance Exhaust!!
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek9339 View Post
A while back 3-5 months ago I came accross a thread with a post that talked about all the places they put felt to reduce the rattles/creaks etc. Does anyone know where it is . I have looked and searched but I have not been able to find it. I don't think it was a thread starter but a reply to someones complaints about all the rattles.

My car is really silent but I really get a lot of noise when i go over bad expansion joints on the highway and I wanted to get some of the more common rattles taken care of !

THX
1. Small driver's side vent that points to the window, remove and felt line the interior.

2. Lift rear seats and felt the metal hook that the seat attaches to

3. Remove rear deck and felt the areas where it attaches (nekkid from the factory)

4. All the door sills need some felt

5. power seat button case, remove seats to remove the case and felt the entire freaking fisher price plastic piece

6. Krytox all your rubber weatherstripping and the flock material on all the doors and trunk.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
on my e92 coupe, make sure both rear seat belt receptacles are pushed down. If they come up they will rattle. This happened when I first got the car and it drove me crazy for a few weeks. then just recently it happened again and my girlfriend reminded me of what the fix was last time...ah no more rattles.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
thekurgan, when you say you "felt" all these things, what felt do you use? Where can one get it and how do you properly afix it?

Thanks!

If pictures exists of the areas you describe up that need felting and how to do it, linkys would be appreciated. Over hard bumps I can hear noise from the rear at times I'd like to eliminate, though it is not a big deal to me. My old car squeaked and creaked like nothing else so the BMW has been extremely quiet in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 12-15-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
thekurgan, when you say you "felt" all these things, what felt do you use? Where can one get it and how do you properly afix it?

Thanks!

If pictures exists of the areas you describe up that need felting and how to do it, linkys would be appreciated. Over hard bumps I can hear noise from the rear at times I'd like to eliminate, though it is not a big deal to me. My old car squeaked and creaked like nothing else so the BMW has been extremely quiet in comparison.
I wish I had some photos, but these are common areas. I used a very thin felt I picked up at a hobby shop locally, there isn't anything special about it except that it is thin. In some places, I used 3M's anti-squeak tape (google for it).

1. Small driver's side vent that points to the window, remove and felt line the interior.
You can carefully pry this little vent up from the rear towards the front and you'll see where it rubs against the plastic, a small amount of felt cured that "click"

2. Lift rear seats and felt the metal hook that the seat attaches to
Carefully pull up on the rear seat cushion and you'll see that under the seat, there is a plastic notch that clips into a metal "U" hook. clean the hook with isopropyl and wrap some felt around it.

3. Remove rear deck and felt the areas where it attaches (nekkid from the factory)
This one was a pain in the ass, as I don't have the fold down seats, but someone here and on e90post did the righteous and detailed the entire procedure.

4. All the door sills need some felt
The door sills tend to squeak, so I pried them up and placed felt underneath them

5. power seat button case, remove seats to remove the case and felt the entire freaking fisher price plastic piece
The most satisfaction came from this one, removal of the seats is required to completely remove the plastic housing and felt the **** out of this really crappy plastic that would squeak every time I sat, moved or leaned into a corner, really a ****ty design.

This is the link to the rear deck creak photo, there may be more as well:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ear+deck+creak

Last edited by thekurgan; 12-15-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: found a link
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Here comes trouble!

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into doing some felting on the rear seats. My front air vents appear to be quiet...

Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into doing some felting on the rear seats. My front air vents appear to be quiet...
This stuff is amazing, by the way:

http://www.goferauto.com/063msqreta54.html

Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
I found at either Home Depot or Lowe's (can't remember) a sheet of green felt adhesive that can be cut however you need it. It was in the section where they have furniture leg pads, etc. I have yet to use it but most of the noise in my car seems to come from the rear seats or rear deck so that may be a holiday project since I have some time off.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
I seem to have a rattle from the center vent on the rear deck. Anyone know how to remove it so I can felt it ?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarney View Post
I seem to have a rattle from the center vent on the rear deck. Anyone know how to remove it so I can felt it ?
I believe there are a couple of screws near the bottom of the console and you probably have to remove the lid as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
What about the center vents on the dash? Mine has made noise from day one. I've tried making the metal pins that hold in the assemble thicker with tape, but no luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
What about the center vents on the dash? Mine has made noise from day one. I've tried making the metal pins that hold in the assemble thicker with tape, but no luck.
I've never had any noise from the center vents, but either apply some thin felt or some krytox if you suspect it is plastic against plastic.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
Is Krytox a spray ? or what ?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
about the mini part....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I've never had any noise from the center vents, but either apply some thin felt or some krytox if you suspect it is plastic against plastic.
It actually sounds like it is coming from the hazard/unlock assembly.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarney View Post
Is Krytox a spray ? or what ?
http://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-K...913045&sr=8-10

I use the 205 grease. I have used it on the door sills (plastic) as they creak and squeak when touched. I applied the krytox to the plastic and reassembled, it is clear and you don't need much. I assume you can do the same thing to plastic within the vehicle as well, it has no smell, it harmless to plastic or rubber as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
It actually sounds like it is coming from the hazard/unlock assembly.
I am not sure how to get those out, but seems to me you would have to remove one or both vents first.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
about the mini part....

I plan on taking it apart over the holidays and figure it out. My dad is going to be switching cars with me for a few weeks so he can show it off to his buddies at work. I don't think he wants to hear the comment, "how much did you pay for that rattle again?"
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
This stuff is amazing, by the way:

http://www.goferauto.com/063msqreta54.html
ooohhh, this looks really good. I have an occasional rattle sound from the trim between the start button and the end of the trim just to the left. If I put just a little pressure on it it goes away.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
ooohhh, this looks really good. I have an occasional rattle sound from the trim between the start button and the end of the trim just to the left. If I put just a little pressure on it it goes away.
Oh yeah, this stuff is thin, stays put even in the heat. I originally picked up a few rolls for my girlfriends sunroof in her toyota, the rubber against the paint drove us nuts, lined it with this stuff and it is solved. Honda/Toyota dealerships used to stock it but it's cheaper online.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:42 PM

WOW!!!!
This thread really has taken off

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Debadge
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Well I decided to take Krytox and apply it to the air vent fin contact points. I had to remove the wood trim near the light switch because I was putting in a Euro switch and I have always noticed how creaky the vents are when you move them! I had tried to lubricate them with Teflon spray lube but it never really worked.

I removed the vent from the clips that are on the wood trim. Then I started to remove the clips that hold together the various pieces that make up the air vent. I would suggest you get something pointy so you can push the clips in to free them, sometimes they are a bitch to remove. Once I removed all the plastic covers etc I then removed the vent fins one by one and put krytox where the vent fins meet the plastic sides. They are very tight and creaky but after I put the Krytox in them, they move move nice and smooth even when cold.

My car is in winter storage right now but over the winter I will be planning on doing this to all the other vents. You can order new vent assemblies if you were to break one while you were taking them apart I think they are about $50-$60 each (from Tischer). I am really happy now and we will see how it works next spring. The krytox lubricated the joints nicely so the plastic contact points dont rub and creak. Now they function very smooth and free of any hesitation or noise.
Hopefully next time I do this I might try a DIY to show you all !
Krytox is a must for this project!

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Debadge
Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i e92 6MT Sport 230
Krytox is available here for $29. https://www.technologylk.com
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Here comes trouble!

How long does the Krytox stuff last on the door sills? If I put wax or Klasse AIO on it the creak disappears for about 4-6 weeks. I'll start using this stuff if it lasts longer.

I also seem to have a rattle from the rear deck (not the seats, they seem quiet though I will felt the hooks when I get a chance). I am not in the mood to tear apart to rear deck. If it still bothers me in a few months, I will bring it up when the car is needing its first dealer service...rear deck makes a rattle when going over sharp bumps. Pretty annoying at times...

Would it help to felt that plastic trim on the door sill (that rubs on the shadowtrim)? If so, what felt should I use? I want it to be black and stay stuck in place, obviously.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 12-29-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
How long does the Krytox stuff last on the door sills? If I put wax or Klasse AIO on it the creak disappears for about 4-6 weeks. I'll start using this stuff if it lasts longer.

I also seem to have a rattle from the rear deck (not the seats, they seem quiet though I will felt the hooks when I get a chance). I am not in the mood to tear apart to rear deck. If it still bothers me in a few months, I will bring it up when the car is needing its first dealer service...rear deck makes a rattle when going over sharp bumps. Pretty annoying at times...

Would it help to felt that plastic trim on the door sill (that rubs on the shadowtrim)? If so, what felt should I use? I want it to be black and stay stuck in place, obviously.
Krytox will last quite some time as it's under the plastic. I have never had to reapply it but I reapply to the seals 2x per year. I don't have that shadow trim creak, not sure if you could felt that without it being noticed.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i
Anyone have pics of the felt or krytox application process? I am sort of a visual learner.

The most troublesome area for me seems to be the area where the windshield joins the dash - can felt or krytox be used to alleviate rattles coming from this area?

Also, what sort of tools would be required for the removal and re-installation of the vents? I am not exactley Bob Villa when it comes to tools.

Definately a very helpful thread...