Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i E39
I'm sorry, no idea.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Oil leakage fixed

Hi,

my car has now 328'500 km and since I repair the leakage as you show, I don't see more oil leakage. This repair method is very cheap and fix the leakage very well. Thank you for publishing it! Coronet24
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Did my 99 last fall, it had the new type of screw in plugs. Doing my 97 right now and guess what?......... new type of plugs. Build date on the 97 is 6/96. I'm bowing the the Gods of BMW right now.

I'm guessing that someone had the entire housing replaced a long time ago.

BTW, while you are down there and have the alternator out, PLEASE pull the plastic cover off the back of it and clean it out. Guaranteed to be a disgusting mess in there. Both of my cars had leaves and bugs clogging it. I hit it with degreaser, lightly scrubbed the entire alternator with a brush, then hit it with a spray bottle of warm water to rinse it, letting it dry, then I'll hit it with electronics cleaner spray. Don't forget to spray out the duct too. Probably a lot of mess in there as well.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
For screw type plugs, what are you guys doing? I'm planning on doing this soon (got a leak coming down and I'm hoping it's not the wet hose coming from the sump). My idea is to use loctite silicone gasket maker on the exterior of the thing; without a hole to screw into (do I want to tap a Allen/Torx hole?) I'm not sure the washer will do anything additional.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM

No leakage until now

Hi guys,

since I've repaired the leakage with the washers, the screws and the high temperature silicone I've a clean engine and no more oil under it.

Actually my 528i has 344'000 km and the serviced VANOS system (Beisan O-Ring) works very well (more couple and less gear changes done by the automatic transmission).

Greetings from Switzerland,

Coronet24
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
For screw type plugs, what are you guys doing? I'm planning on doing this soon (got a leak coming down and I'm hoping it's not the wet hose coming from the sump). My idea is to use loctite silicone gasket maker on the exterior of the thing; without a hole to screw into (do I want to tap a Allen/Torx hole?) I'm not sure the washer will do anything additional.
Are you leaking from the plugs? If not, don't bother them. Just pull the housing and replace the gasket. Put some black RTV on the gasket between the housing and the block, and you should be set. I wouldn't try to tap those Torx holes, if you need to open them, get the appropriate sized Torx wrench and do it. You shouldn't be having any leaks from there now though. $5 says it's coming from the gasket.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 E39
CN90, you are my new hero. Great (again) DIY post. Weird thing with mine. Followed your instructions exactly and finished in under 2 hours. But dang thin kept leaking. Did it again. Still leaking. Drove 80 miles and no more leaks. Did the gasket just have to seat? Or perhaps I drove by an exorcism and picked up on the blessing. Anyway - great post and thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530i
Thank you CN90 for your detailed post. I have a question for everyone and that is do you simply "dry fit" the new gasket in or should I use some sort of grease, etc.? This is my 3rd E39 and first time doing this myself. I appreciate everyone's helpful thoughts and insights.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
aioros

Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
I'll be doing this repair in a couple of weeks when in my Christmas vacation. I plan to do it to my wife's e46 330xi first then my e39. I hope I can do both cars in the same day. There is not enough thanks to CN90 for writing this diy, he's a life saver.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Can you describe how you pryed your alternator out? Mine is stuck tightly. I can move it back and forth about a inch.

Nevermind... I took out the right PS pump bolt and thought that was for the alternator. All fixed. Great write up!

Last edited by rjheard; 12-19-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Found my problem
Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: E53
we tried using the dealerships o rings, but they were too big.

these are the o rings i used for our e36..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Oil-Filt...item2eb8e76e50
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, there is a warning about iron versus aluminum blocks in this thread today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > e39 530i (6cyl) oil leak
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Mada

Send a message via MSN to Mada_infinity Send a message via Yahoo to Mada_infinity
Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 530i
Hey guys I have a 2003 530i and I just changed the oil filter adapter gaskit and the way I did it I had to take off the air intake ,air sensor ,power steering reservoir and the alternator and of Course the serpentine belt I had to get help from a friend it took about 3 hrs
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i 5-spd/PP/SP
Just replaced my the OFH gasket of my 530i (with 190k miles) this past Sunday - and no more oil leaks!!! I also had initially thought it was the oil pan gasket and had actually bought it many months ago (and promptly set it aside because of the DIY difficulty). After the "seepage" became drips, I am glad I surf'd this forum again and found this write-up!

I echo the other posts - THANK YOU, CN90, for this (and other) fantastic DIY write-ups!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: E39 523i
M7 bolts are impossible to find here, especially with a length of 10mm.

M7 is equivalent to 0.275". Anyone know if a 1/4" bolt will do the trick? It's a bit smaller than M7, but not as small as M6.

Thanks,

Stuart
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This was posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Oil filter housing gasket

See also:
- How to identify & fix an oil filter housing (OFH) leak (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to identify an oil pan gasket leak (1) & how to remove & replace the E39 V8 oil pan gasket (1) (2) or the E39 I6 oil pan gasket (1) (2) & hints how to replace the rigid metalized I6 oil pan gasket without removing the subframe (1) (2) & if even if you do remove the subframe, how much you may need to bend the gasket (1) & how to build or buy your own hoist & engine-support tools (1) (2) & how to fix broken or stripped oil drain pan plug bolt threads (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) & examples of an E39 M5 oil pan helicoil repair (1) & an E39 M5 timesert repair (1).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i 5-spd
Thanks... this thread enabled my 530i purchase

This is my first post. I wanted it to be on this thread because it was the post that allowed me buy my first BMW. A guy was selling a 2001 530i in amazing condition. He said that the oil filter housing was leaking, and he would get it fixed prior to sale. I said that I could do it (after reading this!) and offered him $900 less to save him the hassle of a trip to the repair shop. He said yes, and I now own a near-mint condition 530i with a 5spd, which I spent the better part of 6 months looking for on a near daily basis. I was looking all across the country for a stick, and here it shows up in my own town. One owner, non smoker. The guy must have weighed 50 pounds because there is minimal driver's seat wear.

The picture of the 6 bolts was SUPER helpful. I had access to everything but just couldn't find them and had to refer to the picture.

As a VW Passat owner, I have to do plenty of work keeping it running. I know that this car will need control arms replaced relatively soon, and someday I'll do the transmission detents (but in no rush there). Still... I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase even knowing I'll be turning a wrench on it now and then. This site has been so helpful... I could not justify an older BMW if I had to pay for service.

Thanks again.

P.S. I've read many of your posts. You provide an amazing service.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Getting Ready to do the Vanos oil hose replacement.

2000 e39 528i 120K

While I'm doing the replacement also going to do the CCV replacement. Just wanted to find out if it is necessary to replace the large grommet 11611437453 $20 that the ICV plugs into?

Last edited by riverjamie; 01-28-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM

What type of OFH plugs are these?

I have a 2000 e39 528i with 120k. My Vanos oil line is leaking. I'm going to replace when I do the CCV replacement. My OFH is the newer style I guess with two sensors on it.

I looked at the OFH plugs, they don't seem to be leaking. Also the plugs don't look like the ones CN90 pictures show. Mine look to be a large torx 30 or 35 bit style? So what does this mean? Do they unscrew? Is there a seal behind them that could be relaced? I looked up the OFH in the M54 with Realoem.com, it did not show any part numbers for the large torx screw caps or a seal?

The reason I ask is that if I'm going to remove the Throtle body and the CCV, then might also remove the OFH and replace the gasket incase it is also leaking.

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 01-31-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 AM

More info needed on OFH removal

2000 e39 528i 120k First sorry for the three msg's regarding this procedure. As I stated earlier getting ready to do CCV replacement, and power steering high pressure hose replacement, and now have decided to add in the OFH gasket and Vanos oil line. So my question is it possible to remove the Alternator, Tensioner, and Belt without removing the Fan and Shroud. I just had both out for the Vanos Seal replacement. Really don't want to remove them again if possible. So looking for some feedback.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Intro referring my intentions

Hello,

Thanks for having me, I am going to take on replacing my olfilter housing gasket. I am just trying to getting some information from those who has come before me.

D. McGhee
Old 02-19-2014, 01:26 PM

If your going to do the OFH gasket, depending on the type of housing you have you may need to do the fix that CN90 came up with if the freeze plug type plugs are installed on it. I was lucky mine had what looks like a big torx bit cap. Also consider doing the Vanos oil line, and the CCV replacement and hoses. Just read the whole thread here and you should have plenty of info.

edit: When you re-install the Vanos oil line from the OFH pay attention to the position of the oil line it runs between some coolant pipe to the left of it and the Vanos CCV vent tube on the right. Try to position so it doesn't touch either when tightening. I had to re-position mine after I installed it because I didn't notice it was touching the coolant pipe. I used some steel wire to hold it's position and and wood shim between the pipe and oil line, then removed them both after tightening.

Last edited by riverjamie; 02-22-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjamie View Post
So my question is it possible to remove the Alternator, Tensioner, and Belt without removing the Fan and Shroud.
That alternator bolt is pretty long. Not sure if it will come out with the radiator in the way, it will be close. It is so much easier to work in there with the fan and shroud out. If you recently removed the fan, I have heard that it comes out very easily the next time because it hasn't tightened up too much, but I can't verify that as fact. GL
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Hi Guys well recently I installed the OFH Gasket, Vanos Oil line, and Oil Pan Gasket. The Oil Pan Gasket is okay it's not leaking, but I believe that my new OFH Gasket has a small leak. First I thought it might be coming from the Vanos Oil line but haven't been able to detect any oil from it? I've really been looking at this the best I can without pulling the alternator, PS pump, and OFH. I've tried putting small pieces of paper towel with a hand made tool under the bottom area of the OFH to determine if it's the Gasket or not? At this point it seems that the gasket might be leaking. I really spent a lot of time cleaning the OFH surfaces and the grove that the gasket goes into, the engine block surface to make sure there was nothing on the surfaces, then brake cleaning areas, installed the new gasket, and torqued it down to 18ftlbs. I did not use any sealant. But it seems that it's got a slight leak. Mine is the newer style with the two sensors and large Caps with big torx type plugs, which don't appear to be leaking? Also the new Vanos line does not appear to be leaking, and yes I did install new Vanos line ring seals. Any thoughts? Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so what did you do? I'm thinking that not only do I have to remove the OFH again and get a new gasket, but then what?

Edit: I have what looks to be an Aluminum Block so I don't want to over torque the bolts. I put them in at 18ftlbs. Does anyone have the factory settings? It's a 2000 E39 528i 120k.

Thanks River

Last edited by riverjamie; 03-03-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Here's the picture of my leak I think is coming from OFH

The first pic is obvious it's the oil, the second is below the OFH doesn't show signs of the oil but I think it's flowing down at an angle because of the engine tilt? Also if the Oil Pan Gasket (which I just did, cut method) was leaking I don't think the oil to go uphill onto the block, but maybe I could be wrong? If it should come back going to stuff some rags inside and under the OFH to stop the oil from going down to the block. That way I might be able to see if it's the OFH or Oil pan gasket.

Edit: Update after cleaning things up today I took the car for a ride about 20 miles and again found some oil in the same area but more toward the OFH. I also looked back on the part I installed it was a Victor Reinz 11421719855 so not sure if some of the problem might be the Victor Reinz Gasket? Going to pickup a BMW one to have on hand just in case.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6575.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	426078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	426079  

Last edited by riverjamie; 03-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.