11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
Join Date: Nov 2008
Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Dying CVV? Diagnosis, please?
When I was installing and testing the new SilverStar high beams and Nokya fogs, I discovered that when the engine is shut off, it makes an unusual "puff" sound, like vacuum is released somewhere. First thing that came to mind is the infamous CVV. This is what I have gathered thus far:
I've recorded two sound samples. First one I start the engine, let it stabilize at idle, rev it up to 2K, drop back to idle, then shut off. The puff occurs about half a second afterwards. Second sample is a higher resolution of the puff sound. Left both in MP3 format at http://public.me.com/courcoul
- Car has 55k KM/34k Miles. Built Aug/05, sold Oct/05, third owner.
- No oil consumption. None, nada, zilch. Even when I've taken it up to 130MPH.
- No smoking in the tailpipe. Passed stringent emissions controls.
- When the oil fill cover is removed, idle goes somewhat rough.
- Plastic bag over oil fill hole gets sucked in about 1 1/2 inch.
- CVV and associated tubing is completely dry.
- Engine as a whole is also completely dry.
Is this a normal sound for this engine? Or is the CVV in the first stages of failure? Also appreciate any diagnosis of anything else you might hear.