Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 328is coupe
Need tips for SMG programs

Hi all,

I just picked up a new 2006 BMW M3 with SMG and need some tips and help on how to use the different programs for both automatic and manual modes. I understand much of it is affected by the tensioner button that has 5-6 bar setting. So in following scenarios, what would be the optimal setting?

1. Cruising around town or in traffic
2. Freeway driving or open streets with high speed limits (50mph)
3. Track days and racing

Thanks!
Ben
2006 BMW M3 coupe
///M power
Silver/Red Leather
Competition Package SMG
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
Drive the car some more and you'll find what works for you. Throttle position impacts the shift speed a lot -- at least as much as the Drivelogic program setting.

There's lots of information (and opinions) out there, start by searching this forum.

And keep driving!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 04 E46 M3 cabro
you cant get the number 5 fastest position on the SMG setting unless you turn off DTC. I like 3 for all regular driving and 4 in sport mode DTC on for moderate sport and 5 sport no DCS for serious partying. congrats! enjoy!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport/Premium/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3jonesrr View Post
you cant get the number 5 fastest position on the SMG setting unless you turn off DTC. I like 3 for all regular driving and 4 in sport mode DTC on for moderate sport and 5 sport no DCS for serious partying. congrats! enjoy!
This sounds about like what I do to. The reason....S4 and S5 cause hard shifts in anything but the lightest throttle positions. S3 is smooth and still gives quick shifts if you are using a lot of throttle.