Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
EML, DSC, and service engine now lights all on??

i own a 2004 bmw x3 2.5i with 36k miles. I left for a week and came back to a dead battery. i jumped it and it started immediately but the DSC light came on for the first time. i drove the car and left it on for 15 mins, no issues. went to restart the car and had to jump it again. After starting the EML and "service engine soon" lights came on along with a "chugging" sound in the engine that resulted in the rpms to fluctuate from 1000 to 1500. I released the emergency brake, its' light stayed on now but in yellow(not red), and the car would accelerate very slowly when i stepped on the gas. It's on its way to the dealership for service. Any ideas or suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1276 View Post
Any ideas or suggestions?
My first guess was a power spike from the jump start caused an electronic glitch - that erroneously turned on those warning lights and put you in limp mode.

But if that was the case, it would more than likely have resolved itself on the next cold start.

Your battery now being totally unable to hold a charge could be the reason things did not get resolved on that next startup.

I would still expect that a new battery is all that is needed, but the dealership will probably want to charge you for diagnostics.
They may ask if you jump started from the under-hood terminal or right at the battery - although I don't know if that makes any real difference.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
Thanks for the reply, the glitch sounds plausible. I should have left the car on longer after the first jump. The battery will hold a charge, evident from the second jump, but why after the second jump do i have rpms revving 1000 to 1500 and little to no acceleration? I did turn the car off and on two additional times where the "chugging" still occurred and DSC, EML lights still appeared. i jumped it from the under hood termimal.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1276 View Post
I should have left the car on longer after the first jump.
.... why after the second jump do i have rpms revving 1000 to 1500 and little to no acceleration?
I did turn the car off and on two additional times where the "chugging" still occurred and DSC, EML lights still appeared. i jumped it from the under hood termimal.
Yes, it takes a good fast drive, say at least 30 mins., to get the battery anywhere near full charge.
Letting it idle afterwards could result in a net loss of charge.

Limp mode would give you that lower power, and I think the variable revs. is just the electronic throttle management (EML) sensing a (phantom?) fault and governing the limp mode.
In the worst case, the voltage spike might have damaged some component in the EML, or the boost could have been coincidental, and a failure ocurred anyway on startup.

For electronic gremlins, owners have often found that the car must be off for more than a few minutes to reset things, or even require disconnecting the negative terminal for a period.

Typically with this sort of thing, it could be anything that set off the EML,SES and DSC lights.
And if it does generate a code, it is not necessarily accurate.
I read of one case where the cause was eventually identified as a faulty coil pack.
As you have a 2004, might be worth verifying the service records to confirm that you have Bosch coils and not the suspect Bremi ones.
It wasn't a recall - just a voluntary "campaign" I think.