Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: Mitsubishi
X3 '06 Problems compared with '07

Hi there, just signed in to the forum, I know someone will say use the search option :-)

I really don't have much time but here is the question. I am in the market for a X3 '06; test drove ond in another dealer and two more in my local dealership and did not feel any problems. I was also ready to signed on the dotted line for the '06 model until researching on the Internet discovered all the mess about the acceleration problem with the '07 model and later... Also read about people complaining about a bouncy ride that can make people sick, my two kids won't like that for sure.

Now, does the '06 model with the lower HP engine has the same transmission problem as the 07 and later models. I am concerned and confused, ready to purchase but bumped into this last night.

Your comments and suggest are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Figman
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
Now, does the '06 model with the lower HP engine has the same transmission problem as the 07 and later models.
1. No.

2. Ride is not an issue as long as:
- it doesn't have 18" or bigger wheels
- doesn't have Bridgestone Turanzas or some other bad tires
- not going to be used for low-speed, short trips, on certain types of bad road surfaces
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The 2006 is a safe bet, a superb transmission shared with many other BMWs.

The ride quality will depend on whether your vehicle has sport package (3 spoke steering wheel for 2004-2006) and mostly, the quality of the roads in your area.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM

That's a relief!!!!; what other problems or issues should I be concerned or checked for '06 model.

Now let me ask you this, not to hijack my own thread.

I have two possible options same year, same color different interiors and both have the premium package (leather Etc.)

Option 1 CPO
X3 '06 23K miles; silver with gray leather interior and the Xenon light package for $27K (earlier delivery date)

or

Option 2 CPO
X3' 06 33K miles; silver with black leather interior with winter package... heated seats and stering wheel for 26K (later delivery date

both with 2 year extended warranty, never owned a BMW in my life but the wife is crazy about it; drove both and feel the same, strong, fast and fun to drive.

What do you think? my lady like the second option!!!

Thanks again

Figman
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Almost forgot; regular size 17" tires, Pirelli Scorpios on option #2 and Bridgestone Turanzas in option #1

Thanks again
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The '06 has the very excellent 5 speed automatic that has given little trouble. The ride issue is a more difficult one. The ride in my '06 with the non sport, 18 inch factory option is horrible over rough roads. I have driven the 17" stock version over those same roads and found no difference in the quality (or lack thereof). I have also driven "sport" versions over those same roads and found little difference, it was all bad. You REALLY need to take a long test drive with your wife over some marginal, rough, potholed streets to gain a full appreciation for the X3 ride. The kids however seem to love the jerky bouncy harsh ride and treat it as kind of a carnival ride. I also found virtually no difference between the performance of the '06 and the later versions, other than the '06 was quicker off the line and seemed more responsive than the '07 on versions. Be sure you take that long ride!

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-18-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
I have an 2005 with 68k miles and love the ride. I don't find it jerky at all. I would call it rather sporty. Of course is not a Cadillac, and that's the beauty of the X3. You can feel the road and will be amazed at what it can do.
also remember the CPO warranty starts when the new car warranty expires, meaning you probable going to have a little left on the original warranty and free maintenance!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
What do you think? my lady like the second option!!!
I'd go with option 1 because it has the xenons (definitely not economically feasible to retrofit),
and immediately trade in the Turanzas for Scorpions at a tire shop.

But then, xenons are important to me and I don't attach any importance to a heated steering wheel and heated seats
- in fact, I really don't want them.

However, sounds as though the heated black upholstery is going to win.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

I'd pick the first option with xenons. It's something that can be enjoyed anytime you drive at night. Heated stuff comes into play only during the colder months.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
I have an 2005 with 68k miles and love the ride. I don't find it jerky at all. I would call it rather sporty. Of course is not a Cadillac, and that's the beauty of the X3. You can feel the road and will be amazed at what it can do.
also remember the CPO warranty starts when the new car warranty expires, meaning you probable going to have a little left on the original warranty and free maintenance!
Well said, I just wont say it enuff, I LOVE the firm ride, it was a big selling point for me, specially after test driving CRV, RAV-4, etc....

I'd go with option 1, xenons is a must to have for me
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
I have the standard 17" Pirellis and I have a real problem with the bouncy suspension. I do not think it is the tires but something in the suspension which I have been unable to localize.

Some people either do not have the same issue or do not feel it. It may also be the difference between what you are used to and what you expect. If you have been bouncing around in an old truck for years then it may feel just fine.

Lots of reviewers have complained throughout the years about the ride which has supposedly led to changes in the suspension over the years. If you and your family do not feel it or do not mind it then it won't be an issue for you.

I would also suggest trying out a 3 series sedan at your local dealership if you haven't already. It would give you a better idea about both the suspension (firm and sporty but not bouncy) and the transmission (smooth) in the X3.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Option 1, due to the xenons.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 PM

I also like the lighting package but I am concerned that down the road the mechanical components will start having trouble and eventually fail sooner that a fixed light will.

Do you guys think a different of 10K miles on the same year makes a big different on a X3? the less mileage vehicle is silver with black dashboard and grey interior. the other one is silver with all black interior both with leather. Does all X3 have front windshield defroster or just the ones that have the winter package? The second one also have the headlight washers, are they good to have? I know all of you prefer the lighting package versus the heated seats, steering wheel and headlight washers. I am just trying to assist my wife on the decision.

I know, lots of questions but again I know nothing about BMWs.

Thanks again
Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I also like the lighting package but I am concerned that down the road the mechanical components will start having trouble and eventually fail sooner that a fixed light will.

Do you guys think a different of 10K miles on the same year makes a big different on a X3? the less mileage vehicle is silver with black dashboard and grey interior. the other one is silver with all black interior both with leather. Does all X3 have front windshield defroster or just the ones that have the winter package? The second one also have the headlight washers, are they good to have? I know all of you prefer the lighting package versus the heated seats, steering wheel and headlight washers. I am just trying to assist my wife on the decision.

I know, lots of questions but again I know nothing about BMWs.

Thanks again
Are you in a hurry? If not, why not wait a little more and get both, xenons and heated packages, cause I know I could not live without heated seats either

The 10K miles diference would not bother me at all.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
Option 1. Love Xenon and not a fan of black interior personally. Great low miles.

2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

If y'all don't mind travelling, split the difference with this one. I like the gray interior better than the black one, it's got xenons, heated seats, and definitely a negotiable price.

There haven't been any problems related to the adaptive headlight function of the xenons, and xenon bulbs outlast halogen ones. As for headlamp washers, they're really only needed if you have xenon headlamps but since they're not compulsory in the US, it doesn't matter. Having them with halogens is a bit moot.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I will throw in some more confusion here.

I would choose option #1, because of the Xenon lights and the lighter colored interior.

However, for my wife, the heated seats are a must have. She would insist on option #2.

Last time I checked, Xenon lights can be retrofitted (expensive), but heated seats cannot be added (unless you go with an aftermarket setup).

I was faced with a similar decision a couple years ago, and we ended up with an X3 (CPO) that has the heated seats, but no Xenon lights. I immediately replaced the factory Bridgestone tires with Pirelli Scorpions, which resulted in improved ride and handling. It has the base suspension (non-sport).

Incidentally, our X3 has a 6-speed manual transmission, which is wonderful, but very rare. The MT was mandatory for us, which made our search somewhat more difficult.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM

You guys are great; I belong to other forums and people don't reply that quickly and as friendly.

I will try to convince the wife for the lower mileage and Xenon; but she believes the gray interior seats and carpets will get dirtier much quicker that the black seats and carpets of the higher mileage model.

Excuse my dumb question how does the Xenon work, they move from side to side as you turn the vehicle right? is the lower beam brigther that the lower beam on the regular lights? or it is just the high beam that is much brighter.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
You guys are great; I belong to other forums and people don't reply that quickly and as friendly.

I will try to convince the wife for the lower mileage and Xenon; but she believes the gray interior seats and carpets will get dirtier much quicker that the black seats and carpets of the higher mileage model.

Excuse my dumb question how does the Xenon work, they move from side to side as you turn the vehicle right? is the lower beam brigther that the lower beam on the regular lights? or it is just the high beam that is much brighter.

Thanks
Black gets just as dirty without showing it. IMHO, that's not so good because you will be in a dirty and unhealthy environment without knowing it, if it shows, you know and can clean it.

Xenons are much brighter than halogens. The adaptive headlights are an upgrade and the one with Xenon may or may not have it, easier way to find out is look at the headlight straight in and if it is adaptive headlight then it will be written on top of Xenon housing.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
We're just cool like that.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:

Thanks
Bi-Xenon headlamps in general produce a whiter, broader beam of light albeit with a sharp cut-off at the top end to prevent blinding drivers on low beam. A shutter dips the beam, when the high beams are activated, the shutter is raised for extraordinary light on dark country roads. The inner halogen is only used for flash-to-pass and DRL (on NA models).

The safety advantages are huge, especially when the road is wet or it is foggy outside. Anything with a reflective surface, road signs, lane markers, running shoes, will light up much clearer.

The adaptive headlight will swivel the xenon bulb up to 15° left-or-right depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. This makes night driving even safer, as visibility is enhanced around corners. At a standstill, the headlight only swivels right to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. This feature is inclusive in US vehicles with xenons. The xenons also include auto-leveling upon start up. The headlights are adjusted for height automatically depending on vehicle load. Thus if you're carrying heavy items in the trunk, the xenons will aim lower to prevent blinding others.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
This feature is inclusive in US vehicles with xenons.
Really? I don't think Canadian models differ that much with US but adaptive headlight was a separate option here. My 05 has Xenons but no adaptive headlights. Coming to think of it, Xenons were a standard here until they launched this stripped down 2.8i this year.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks for all your comments, she still deciding on which to get; winter package vs lighting package. I am taking a second test drive tomorrow, want to make sure the transmission is not having the issues as the '07 and to double check on the bouncy ride.

I will keep you posted...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Really? I don't think Canadian models differ that much with US but adaptive headlight was a separate option here. My 05 has Xenons but no adaptive headlights. Coming to think of it, Xenons were a standard here until they launched this stripped down 2.8i this year.
Yeah, the Canadian market was different. I do remember Canada pricing the AKL as seperate from xenons. You're not missing that much unless you live in a rural area with curvy roads.......that's really where the adaptive function shines (literally).
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Hummm, I did test drive a couple of X3 before buying mine, and most 2.5 did not have xenons, and about 1 or 2, 2006 3.0i did not have the xenons either...They were all CPO'd models.