Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to pkepneriv
Mein Auto: 1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5
Any Thougts on this 1976 BMW Bavaria 3.0S w/4spd???

I found this 1976 BMW Bavaria 3.0S about a year ago and was in the process of buying it when I thought it was sold out from under me. Yesterday my wife and I were heading to a customers and we passed where is was originally and she noticed it was still there. I stopped in and asked the guy about it and he said that some guy from out of state was going to buy it but had some problems come up and never got it so it has just sat there. The shop was asking $400.00 for it back then and now is asking between $200.00 - $300.00 for it. I want it and love how the car looks. The car does start, run and drive fine. The only problem with it is that it does not register any oil pressure. They said they pulled the valve cover and ran it and that oil was squirting out as it should. Do you think that it could just be a faulty gauge or oil pressure sending unit? Is there a way to test the oil pressure with a gauge like you do to test fuel pressure? I believe it has the M30 engine in it. Do you know anything about the Bavaria's? Did it come with the front spoiler or do you think it was added aftermarket? I was told that the Bavaria's were only imported to the states. Is this true? I am sending you some pictures that I took of it. It does have some rust bubbles on the deck lid and a couple of other places. It is a factory 4spd with air, power windows and locks. The seats will need to be recovered due to age but the carpet is nice and the dash is in fair shape and some of the wood trim needs to be taken care of. All in all it seems to be in very good shape. I crawled under it to look for rust and couldn't find any. I would love to hear your thought or suggestions you might have on this car. You may email me off the list if you want at pkepneriv@yahoo.com or IM me.

Cheers!
Paul Kepner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010791.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	209965   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010793.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	209966   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010794.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	209967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010796.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	209968   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010798.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	209969  

Name:	P1010790.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	209970   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010799.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	209971   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010801.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	209972   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010803.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	209973   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010800.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	209974  

Name:	P1010802.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	209975   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010797.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	209976  
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Baur e30, E34 5 spd,318ti
It has had some older parts swaped. The bumpers should be bigger if its a 76. the ones on it are Euro or from a pre 73 car.
The spoiler is aftermarket a guy in Atlanta had the one from the 2 door coupe cut down and made a mold. He sold a few dozen of them about 12 years ago. Now who know who made copies. or haw many were made.
I think its a 73 or older. If it was a 76 it would have Fuel Injection vs carbs. If that is the case then the bumpers are right for the car. The rear one. I sone see a front.
At $400 its a steal. the twin Webber carbs alone are woth $400. Buy it. If its getting oil up to the head then I would think its a sender unit or a bad ground on the Guage. They tended to loose the ground where the harness mounts under the dash. I spent $500 for mine a rust free FL car with peeling clear coat and a 4 speed that was stuck in 4th gear.. The prev owner ran the trans with no lube. I was given a free 4 speed and got it back on the road. I think I may have about a grand in the car now due to the Cluch master and slave needing to be relpaced.
Ill be getting it painted in a few months.
SO yes buy it. they are nice car for hi way driving . only get about 15 mpg around town and 20 on the Hi way.
check out Seniorsix.org.

B
Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Oh, yeah, great car. A '74 was my first BMW. It was an automatic but it planted the seed.

Be prepared to spend some $ though becuase it's going to need a bunch of things to get ot right.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to pkepneriv
Mein Auto: 1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5
Bam thanks for writing. Are there any pictures of the difference between pre 73' bumpers and what 76' ones should look like? Pardon my ignorance but how can you tell from the picture that the cabs on the car are Webbers? I am asking so I will know better. Worst case scenario if I have to end up putting a new used engine in it would any of the 80's 3.3ltr. or 3.5ltr engines from a 5 or 7 series work? If so would they be a drop in and bolt up? Would the intake and exhaust manifolds on the Bavaria work on the other engines? If I have to end up changing out engines would it benefit me at all to flow match the intake, head and exhaust manifold? Do they make cams for the engines that would give it a bit more pep than factory? If I wanted to change it over to a 5spd what all would be involved? What is the factory wheel spacing so I would know what to look for if I want to get different wheels for it? I was thinking a set of the BBS clones that you get on the 740i. Any help on this would be great. Sorry about all the questions but I don't know much about BMW's. I am very familiar older Mercedes and Jaguar's of the same time period. You are welcome to see the cars I have in my garage.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1973 3.0CS, 1969 2002
Paul, Yes it appears to be a `76 with an earlier rear bumper (which looks much better). It can't be a Bavaria and a 3.0S, it must be a 3.0S, it has the heavier reinforcing in the trunk for the bigger US bumpers, it has electric mirrors not available until `74 unless added later. Owners remove the front bumper and put on an aftermarket airdam all the time. The carbs would have been Zeniths, those look like Webers. You could also buy a 3.0Si in the US which was injected. This is an e3 BMW, search on that and SeniorSix.

Chris
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
Interesting

Interesting Bavaria you got there. Although not really my cup of tea, still a testament to German engineering. In the 70's, I like the E9s a lot better (great design but poor build execution). I can see where maybe the Bavaria types were just the stepping stones that led to the 5-Series of the 80's. Thanks for sharing.
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Baur e30, E34 5 spd,318ti
Any of the late 70s mid 80s BMW have the huge bumpers. The ones on the car look much better I would leave them.

Yes any Big 6 would fit.. so any thing out of a Old 6 or 7 series, a 528 535, the newer Fuel injected engines can be converted over to the Carbs, the Distributor may need to be figured out or take the one off the old engine. I see alot of the Big 6 engines at the junkyards. Usually because the Auto transmission has failed , but the engine is still good.

The 5 speed is pretty easy. I have done one using a 535 as a donar. We did have to have the driveshaft shortened. Other than that it was a bolt in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkepneriv View Post
Bam thanks for writing. Are there any pictures of the difference between pre 73' bumpers and what 76' ones should look like? Pardon my ignorance but how can you tell from the picture that the cabs on the car are Webbers? I am asking so I will know better. Worst case scenario if I have to end up putting a new used engine in it would any of the 80's 3.3ltr. or 3.5ltr engines from a 5 or 7 series work? If so would they be a drop in and bolt up? Would the intake and exhaust manifolds on the Bavaria work on the other engines? If I have to end up changing out engines would it benefit me at all to flow match the intake, head and exhaust manifold? Do they make cams for the engines that would give it a bit more pep than factory? If I wanted to change it over to a 5spd what all would be involved? What is the factory wheel spacing so I would know what to look for if I want to get different wheels for it? I was thinking a set of the BBS clones that you get on the 740i. Any help on this would be great. Sorry about all the questions but I don't know much about BMW's. I am very familiar older Mercedes and Jaguar's of the same time period. You are welcome to see the cars I have in my garage.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '81 745i, '97 540i Dinan
Just because there is oil flow at the oil sender hole does NOT mean that it is at the correct pressure... a 1/4" column of oil shooting out can look like a geyser even if it's only at 5 psi!

Cautionary tale. When I bought my 745i in 1991 it had the same problem. A suburban-Maryland BMW independent shop, who should have known better, told me the same line of BS about "flow to the head". I paid them a bunch of money (this is before I started doing all my own BMW wrenching) to replace the oil pump, chain, rod and main bearings. Guess what, $1100 (in '91 dollars) later, still no oil pressure (light on).

I took it home, pulled the engine myself, and immediately discovered the reason. The crank was really clunking-loose in the mains. The main bearings had .012 clearance instead of the correct .002
Some previous idiot who rebuilt the engine (the indy shop had found a dingle ball from a hone in the oil pan!) had had the crank turned .010 under but had put in standard size main bearings

Which the BMW indy shop should easily have seen - but they just took out the old mains, said "hm, standard size" and put that size back in, without checking the clearance. Morons. I considered suing but it would have cost just as much as my losses... anyhow I never went there again.

So unfortunately I am not surprised that your shop didn't screw a known-working mechanical gauge into the hole and read it directly. This is the ONLY reliable way to determine oil pressure!

Assume the engine is toast and bid accordingly...

-Charles
'81 745i
'97 540i
Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
buy the car 2 spots down from it
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1974 BMW Bavaria
1974 BMW Bavaria

I have some pictures I can post of the post 1973 bumpers. I am looking for the pre bumpers for it.

If you don't buy that car, I will . I just paid $2300 for a daily driver that needs it's carbs synced. And, the odometer doesn't work. I'm in OC California. Did I pay too much?

I'm new to this world, but I thought I did pretty good. I'll post pics. It's guzzling gas, and I imagine that's because of the carbs.

So this is a post, and It's also questions?

Thanks Guys! And Gals. My son is in love with BMWs, so this is our first start.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M5 VW MK2
Ohh that old car look so nice
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Junk
I say you pass on it and & give me sellers info. I'll can call them and berate them for trying to pass off such a pos clunker onto some poor sap for the $200 kingsransom they are asking.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Macs72 bmw

Mein Auto: E3 3.0 bavaria for dd
Where can I get a front bumper like that help
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
The car looks nice and the oil pressure gauge can be diagnosed by checking the oil, see that it's at the proper level (neither low nor overfilled). If low, the engine may be burning or leaking oil. Adding oil may temporarily remedy the low pressure condition, but unless the level is properly maintained, the problem may reoccur.