Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
What are you using for a trunk/cargo mat?

Something that breathes is better, I think. So moisture underneath might air out a bit. Something that can cover the trunk both with the rear sit in the normal position and when folded down.

How about a 36" wide carpet runner? Keep a portion rolled up near the front of the trunk and unroll it if folding down the seat.

What is your solution? Pictures?
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I use the optional BMW lipped rubber mat. I haul a lot of gardening stuff around for the wife and it does spill. The lipped mat has been a life saver, or at least a "major cleaning saver" many times. When I need to put down the back seats for bigger loads I just use an old blanket to keep the interior from getting scuffed, or (in some cases) the antiques from banging around back there. Carpet wouldn't work for me because of what I usually haul. I have never noticed any moisture on the bottom of the mat when I pull it out (easy to do) to shake out the dirt and potting mix that leaked from the bags. It is a useful little car but I really miss the split back hatch which keeps things from rolling out when you park on a hill and open the back.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Note

This should work however be careful if this latex non skid material comes in contact with any plastic surfaces. There are petroleum products that leach out of it. I used a piece on the dash of my wifes car to keep a GPS unit from moving about once and oils from the material left a permanent waffle pattern on her dash. Lovely I thought. just great. Live and learn.

Here is an idea- http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc....html?cat=1003

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc....html?cat=1003

Here is the whole bunch for your viewing pleasure-
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc....html?cat=1003
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I use the BMW trunk mat, but I find it slides around a bit. Had the incorporated a rougher texture on the bottom side it would have worked better.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0
I use a simple moving blanket, you know the kind movers use to cover funiture when it's in the moving van. It's heavy duty. I just folded it in half and always leave it there. Carpet is like new back there.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
I got a Weathertech from Bavarian Auto and have been very satisfied.

Last edited by legalfee; 11-27-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Another satisfied user of BMW's rubber mat.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
I use the lipped BMW one and while it does hold spills and cleans well, the only drawback is it does slide around a lot.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 AM

I flipped my back floor hatch over to the "hard" side and put some double sided tape down, works a treat to keep the mat in place.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
pocket rocket

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
OEM BMW for me.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'n R View Post
I use a simple moving blanket, you know the kind movers use to cover funiture when it's in the moving van. It's heavy duty. I just folded it in half and always leave it there. Carpet is like new back there.
+1. I can also position it so that the lashing rails are still available for tiedowns.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i Sport
I use the BMW soft cargo liner for mine because in my line of work I often move 'stuff' (usually lumps of grubby aircraft). It is in 2 parts and will line only the cargo area, or when you link the 2 bits together totally covers the cargo and back seat area.

It's a bit of a pfaff to put it in, but it comes high up the sides to protect the trim/doors/backs of the front seats, gives you access to the adjustable lashing rails with velcro'd slits, and it also has a flap that lays over the rear bumper. All folds up into a nice BMW bag. Dear at the dealer but I got mine as a 'used twice' bargain off ebay for 15
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
I use the BMW soft cargo liner for mine because in my line of work I often move 'stuff' (usually lumps of grubby aircraft). It is in 2 parts and will line only the cargo area, or when you link the 2 bits together totally covers the cargo and back seat area.

It's a bit of a pfaff to put it in, but it comes high up the sides to protect the trim/doors/backs of the front seats, gives you access to the adjustable lashing rails with velcro'd slits, and it also has a flap that lays over the rear bumper. All folds up into a nice BMW bag. Dear at the dealer but I got mine as a 'used twice' bargain off ebay for 15
Is this the one? Looks thin in the picture, how sturdy is it? Also, I can't see the access to the lashing rails in this pic.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM

The lashing rails and tie downs are yet another feature of the X3 I have yet to figure out any use for, so I don't worry about the mat covering them.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Is this the one? Looks thin in the picture, how sturdy is it? Also, I can't see the access to the lashing rails in this pic.

Looks like that one, yes.

There are two long 'slits' down the length of the mat that are held closed with velcro. What I do is 'plug in' the lashing blocks into the rails, install the mat then undo the velcro where the lashing blocks are and pole the flip-up lashing rings through.

It's quite 'thin' I suppose, but has a heavy backing. It has been pretty good in use. It depends what you lug about. I just like the idea that I can carry it around in the back in its bag and use it when I need to, and that it covers up either just the luggare area or the luggage and back seat area if I need to move something with the back seats down.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
<--- uses the factory floor, flipped with the fabric side down. In the rare instance I need a true lining back there, I just use a tarp for the trip (a whopping $7.99), which covers, the walls all the way up to the rear of the front seats.

But then again, I am using this car more as an SU - oops SAV, so it gets used...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:06 PM
x318ti

Mein Auto: 318ti, x3
I also use the soft liner that comes up the sides and hangs over the tailgate when fully opened, and I highly recommend it. We have an 80 lb lab/shepherd/heinz 57 dog and this is great to keep his fur under control and out of the upholstry. Its tough enough that his nails have left no marks, and we use one of the the tie-downs (accessed via the velcro slit) to secure his harness with a short lead, so he's safe in the back. Great for tailgating, too, just be sure to NEVER close the hatch (or even lean it down lightly, it'll catch easily) or you'll put a hole in it. It isn't the easiest thing to install, but we just leave it in all the time - even great for when the orange juice leaks on the way home from the grocery store. The other mats did not meet our needs of protecting the sides and seat backs from dog fur.
His then - 323i, Fern Green, 2000
His now - 535i, Platinum Gray, 2008
Theirs - Baby Racer, Blue, 2006
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
3'x5' commercial door mat from home depot. $17. Keep it folded, flip it over the rear bumber to protect it from scratching when needed. Of course, this is from a guy whose idea of customizing is to add mud flaps. :-)