Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: MG ZT, Mitsubishi L200
Prospective E66 760Li purchase

Dear all,

I went to look at an E66 760Li (build date is 03/19/2004) today and have a few questions as this would be my first 7 Series.
Despite only registering today I have already read quite a lot about these and believe that I am aware of most issues (including the HPFP membrane failures and their repair process).

I went to see the car today, it is a 1-owner car in very good overall shape.
Unfortunately I was not able to test drive it (apart from a big parking lot) but it will be arranged over the next few days (any specific things to look out for during the test drive?)
I will also have the maintenance details at that time, apparently maintenance was always done by the country's sole BMW dealer.

Here are the information returned by a VIN lookup:
Quote:
Series options
No. Description
202 STEPTRONIC
216 SERVOTRONIC
220 SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION
223 DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL
229 DYNAMIC DRIVE
245 STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT ELEC
261 SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS
302 ALARM SYSTEM
323 SOFT CLOSE AUTOMATIC SYSTEM FOR DOORS
356 CLIMATE COMFORT LAMINATED GLASS
358 CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN
415 SUNBLIND FOR REAR WINDOW
416 SUNBLINDS
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
442 CUPHOLDER
456 COMFORT SEATS, ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE
460 COMFORT SEATS RR ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
502 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
521 RAIN SENSOR
522 XENON LIGHT
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
638 CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL
677 HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
Quote:
Order options
No. Description
212 NATIONAL BRAKE SYSTEM EQUIPMENT
268 LT/ALY WHEELS WITH MIXED TYRES
322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
455 ACTIVE SEAT F DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER
523 AIR CONDITIONING F REAR W COOLING BOX
524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS
548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING
601 TV FUNCTION
603 MONITOR IN REAR
631 SECOND RECEIVER IN REAR, CORDLESS
651 MD PLAYER
672 CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS
696 DVD CHANGER FOR 6 DISKS
701 AREA-CODE 5
761 INDIVIDUAL SUN PROTECTION GLAZING
776 INDIV. ROOF-LINING ALCANTARA ANTHRACITE
785 WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS
815 BAD ROAD PACKAGE
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
864 OVERSEAS/DEALER DIRECTORY
877 DELETION CROSS-OVER OPERATION
880 ENGLISH / ON-BOARD DOCUMENTATION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE
After today's quick look, my concerns stem form mainly three things:
1. This damage, which I assume is either a botched jacking attempt or a rock/hump impact? Any possible issues here? My other cars' undersides are very tidy so any little thing catches my eye...

2. The intake manifold's paint is crackling, which I guess it to be expected on an "old" V12; however there is this this thing on the front-right side, could it simply be due to someone inadvertently hitting the manifold during servicing or is it a sign of something serious?

3. I think that the bump stops will have to be replaced quite soon, ideally yesterday.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance for your assistance._a2_
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
well as far as jack damage, thats minimal, but not ideal.. i would paint it to keep corrosion from forming...

now, that pry mark on the valve cover is suspect.. idk what caused it, but it took quite some force, or is it really bad corrosion? did you ask the owner? are you a diy'er? service records?? such an expensive car someone should have records, especially a one owner... what did they say about it??

the suspension stuff is nothing.. if your hitting bumps that big you should practice dodging them, but if you wanna do em they are not that bad ive done mine with autozone rental tools...

the 760 is def the most expensive seven to get parts for.. i would replace that valve cover for sure.. if your not prepared to work on this car yourself i would probably get something with the 4.8, any dealer is going to destroy your wallet and any indy is going to go v-12 say whattttt $$$$$$$$$$$$ its a beautiful sweet car, just remember its priced the way it is because cost of ownership is high as @#$^
overall it would be price dependent and mileage dependent
honestly if you havnt sat in this car and used every button you may only be scratching the surface.. you need to move every seat put all the curtains up use navigatin heated seats cooled move headrests automatic hvac controls work? how bout a/c all the lights, what about cruise control or brakes, does it throw any warnings upon startup.. do all the controls in idrive function as they should.. there is a lot to look at both keys??? they are expensive.. can you get a used car warrenty, you will definitly need it.. this is not a car for someone who is not prepared to spend thousands of dollars a year repairing.. just some things to think about.. so many buttons!! so little time when buying a new car!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
definitly meet at a bmw dealership or indy that can provide diagnostic printout of the whole car and every control module, that way you know about any problems upfront.. best 60-100$ you'll ever spend
Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li, 325i, ZR-1
good luck with the purchase. Just bought my '05 760li about a month ago and have been very happy. It's an amazing car!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: MG ZT, Mitsubishi L200
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.w.crater View Post
well as far as jack damage, thats minimal, but not ideal.. i would paint it to keep corrosion from forming...
Yeah, I know that it's not big but as I said I am pretty nitpicky...

Quote:
now, that pry mark on the valve cover is suspect.. idk what caused it, but it took quite some force, or is it really bad corrosion?
Well, it's a magnesium part so it could simply be corrosion; outside of this spot the part is in good cosmetic condition (apart form the mentioned crackled paint/coating)

Quote:
did you ask the owner? are you a diy'er? service records?? such an expensive car someone should have records, especially a one owner... what did they say about it??
I actually did not meet the owner himself, the car is currently in storage at the country's sole BMW dealership (people from the dealership's management and personnel were present). As said in the first post I should be able to see full maintenance records next time I go there.
As for DIY stuff, my father and I are pretty good with spanners, having worked on a variety of road and rally cars.

Quote:
honestly if you havnt sat in this car and used every button you may only be scratching the surface.. you need to move every seat put all the curtains up use navigatin heated seats cooled move headrests automatic hvac controls work? how bout a/c all the lights, what about cruise control or brakes, does it throw any warnings upon startup.. do all the controls in idrive function as they should.. there is a lot to look at both keys???
I did seat in it for quite a while; if I remember correctly the only controls that I did not check were the driver's side rear seat (this is a RHD car), everything else seemed to work flawlessly.
As I forgot to bring a CD with me I only tested the Logic7 sound system with FM radio, I will bring 06 next time to check the CD changer too.
Lights work, AC does, roof opens and closes as do the five rear curtains, even the TV tuner somehow still works!

Driving-related things (cruise control, ...) will be checked during the test drive; I did not test navigation but I don't even know if compatible maps exist for this country, I don't need it anyway.
There were a few warnings, apparently caused by the discharged battery (they have this 760Li and a Rolls-Royce Phantom for sale and both batteries had gone flat...

Quote:
definitly meet at a bmw dealership or indy that can provide diagnostic printout of the whole car and every control module, that way you know about any problems upfront.. best 60-100$ you'll ever spend
Should not be a problem as the car is at the country's one and only BMW dealership (since 1972).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finvette View Post
good luck with the purchase. Just bought my '05 760li about a month ago and have been very happy. It's an amazing car!
I hope to be as happy as you are!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 745i / 03 760li
The thing is, with magnesium, its really bad for corrosion, its like alloy on steroids for just turning to a grey powder and blowing away in the wind. Strict preventative maintenance is required to keep it in good nick. These to pictures are of mine. Not bad over all but the second photo is a closeup of one of a number of areas ive got clean and paint to stop it one day forming a hole that i can never fix. My valve covers needed a touch-up recently too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1463175960.436325.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	563092   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1463175999.243019.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	563093  
Old 05-13-2016, 03:05 PM

"Well, it's a magnesium part so it could simply be corrosion; outside of this spot the part is in good cosmetic condition (apart form the mentioned crackled paint/coating)"

I guess im trying to say that the manifold you have is in bad need of a complete strip clean and reseal/repaint. Every one of those defects in the paint is corrosion. The defect on the side is most definitely corrosion thats probably been dug at with a screw driver by a mechanic showing the last owner why he should sell it while its still running. Magnesium is awesome like that and to make it even better the valve covers are made of it too.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
find out when the high pressure fuel pumps were replaced, it'll be $3500-$4000 for replacements.

Verify the audio system and subwoofers work properly
Verify the rear reclining seats work properly
Verify that the cooling system is working properly.
Verify that there are no harsh downshifts when coming to a complete stop! (bad transmission or guibo joint)
Verify there are no vibrations, clunking or other noises at 60+ MPH (lower control arms may need replacement)

2013 TL Advance 3.5L

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone

2010 Honda Accord EX - Basque Red/Ivory
lOE Fog Lightsl

2007 MDX Sport/Ent.- NGM/Taupe
lRB Slotted RotorslRoof RailslFront & Rear GarnishlAuto Mirrorl

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
lComptech SwaybarlHacked NavlTVNAV2GolUSA-SPEClDVD PlayerlSwitchblade KeylRB Slotted RotorslA-Spec Brakesl
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 AM

Before and after shots of the manifold refurbish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1463307340.529279.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	563292   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1463307359.576580.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	563293  
Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li (2008)
I don't see how a car that is cared for could have such badly corroded magnesium. Warning flag IMO.

Check the comfort access system works if the car is left alone for more than 17 minutes. The car, if it has a current drain from the battery, can shut down the comfort access after the 17 minutes.

I would get a newer facelift car. Shouldn't change the price that much.

Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM

Difference between a pre facelift being 15k and a facelift being 29k here in nz...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search