Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 li
Smile Airbag Light Fault 98D5

I found this on another site and it worked for me.... all i had to do is straighten the wire as it had gotten crimped somehow.....

Airbag SRS light (Code 98D5) FIX

I have posted this information in another post, however as it appears to be a common issue I thought I'd start a new post.

I have had an Airbag, Safety Restraint System (SRS) problem for a few months, and spent (wasted) a lot of time buying a replacement SBRS module (and time coding it), checking cables, connectors, reseting error code endlessly etc etc.

If you have INPA or similar, and the module that reports the error is the SBRS with a code of 98D5 high resistance (or 98D4 low resistance), then this may help.

Basically when you insert your key, one of the many checks that are carried out is a check of the many firing circuits of the SRS and airbags. You will notice the airbag light staying on for a few seconds whilst checks (resistance) are carried out, then it should extinguish. In my case it didn't and was associated with the 'BONG' and error message.

After lots of searches and translation of German INPA messages, the 98D5/4 codes do not refer to airbags or SRS systems but a safety circuit on the cars battery terminal that will 'blow' if you are in a crash and disconnect the battery.

Once I had realised this, I located it (2 thin black wires that connect to a plastic housing (firing block) on the +ve terminal of the cars battery), re-seated it and bingo, fault code now clears and warning lights/messages stay off.

Obviously battery needs to be disconnected before any work carried out on airbags/SRS system.
Advertisement