Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Are we being trolled? Seriously. Are we?

I swear there's been a huge influx of threads with ridiculous questions or content and beyond stubborn (or even angry) replies from the OPs when they hear an answer they don't like. Am I missing something or are we experiencing a forum takeover?

I've tried to be patient with some of these people, but the blatant ignorance in others really puts my patience to the test. Yeah, I know I can sometimes come across as callous and a bit of a dick (gets the point across, doesn't it? ), but when someone says, "I'M GONNA RUN LEAD IN MY CAR LOL!" it kind of pisses me off, not just from a car guy standpoint, but a safety standpoint as well.

The E46 is NOT a friggin' Honda. You're not going to gain any noticeable horsepower from bolting on a $400 intake and putting a custom exhaust on it. You're just not. It takes a LOT of money to make these cars fast and, if you're one of the people asking how to make a cold air intake out of PVC pipe, I'm willing to bet you can't afford it. Hell... even I can't afford to make an E46 fast! When I had my first E46, I spent a LOT of money on it, only to barely be able to outrun a (basically stock) ZHP with a 3.46 differential!

On another note, these cars are aging. The newest E46 is now 11 years old. It will need some hardcore maintenance if it hasn't already been done. (I know mine does!) On a high school kid's part-time job wages, it's doable, but said kid will need to learn how to turn a wrench pretty quickly. I'm a working professional and with a house payment, all the insurance payments, bills, house upkeep, other car maintenance, my E46 kind of gets put on the back burner (thankfully, it's just a weekend toy). AND I MAKE DECENT MONEY!

I would apologize for this thread, but I'm not going to. Because you know I'm right.

Advertisement
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci Convertible
I think as the E46 becomes older and the value drops to where the punk kids buying their first car can now afford them, they want to start 'modding' them before they even get home from the used car lot. These new owners do not want to hear the truth about what they just bought and almost all of them failed to research the car before making a purchase. Every 20-something that starts drifting or aggressively driving a used BMW ends up ruining what could have been a good classic. Sad really.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Hell, E46Fanatics forum had these types of posts 11 years ago...

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM
beemlyfe

Mein Auto: 2009 335i, 2003 330i
Well I guess I won't be making any threads soon about trying to get a few hundred more HP out of my e46 for $100 or less anytime soon.

- 2009 335I, M-Sport W/ Prem, Manual, Dinan Stage 2 Performance Package
- 2003 330I, ZHP, Manual (my pride and joy)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & JB4+ 335i
Hi, I'm new. I'd like to know how to get more power? I'm thinking of getting mufflers, a hot air intake that sits in my engine bay sucking up hot air, some wheels that weigh more than my OEM ones and put some leaded 100 octane in my car.
That should make it go faster right?

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. Single Turbo 6266.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM
beemlyfe

Mein Auto: 2009 335i, 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Hi, I'm new. I'd like to know how to get more power? I'm thinking of getting mufflers, a hot air intake that sits in my engine bay sucking up hot air, some wheels that weigh more than my OEM ones and put some leaded 100 octane in my car.
Theoretically, yes. You will notice a huge boost in HP right before you blow your engine into the next atmostphere.

- 2009 335I, M-Sport W/ Prem, Manual, Dinan Stage 2 Performance Package
- 2003 330I, ZHP, Manual (my pride and joy)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
I think as the E46 becomes older and the value drops to where the punk kids buying their first car can now afford them, they want to start 'modding' them before they even get home from the used car lot. These new owners do not want to hear the truth about what they just bought and almost all of them failed to research the car before making a purchase. Every 20-something that starts drifting or aggressively driving a used BMW ends up ruining what could have been a good classic. Sad really.
That's quite it. E46 gets older and cheaper, so even idiots can buy it now.
Perfectly maintained stock E30 or E36 are already rare (atleast here), and same will happen to E46, unfortunately.
It's not that i need BMW which is 100% original, but teen tuners ruin cars in such way, that they can't be saved anymore.

Last edited by lgr122; 05-26-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Going to be state of affairs for next 5 to 10 years, then whichever cars are still around will go to more of the prized and pampered car status instead of cheap beater with BMW badge on the hood.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Just wait until M4's start to hit that $15,000 range...
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Hell, E46Fanatics forum had these types of posts 11 years ago...
Sheeeit....`Fanatics pretty much gave birth to that school of thought....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Just wait until M4's start to hit that $15,000 range...
Now that's a scary thought.

Scarier still: By the time M4s drop to that range, the hot topic will probably be how to retrofit them with "that cool self-driving sh!t."

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

Scarier still: By the time M4s drop to that range, the hot topic will probably be how to retrofit them with "that cool self-driving sh!t."
Indeed....self-parking, power sunvisors, and heated & cooled cupholders will be de rigeur among the M4 Boulevard cruisers....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & JB4+ 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

That'l be the day. I hope that doesn't happen.

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. Single Turbo 6266.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
CAI Powah!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
Now that I've just replaced the control arm on my beamer 325ci, I wasn't happy at all with my test drive afterward. The car seems to be bogged down with too much frictions and resistance. It even seems to not have enough power too. I hope you experts can help me out.

1. When I hit the left pedal, the car loses power and slows down. I think the friction comes from the 4 metal plates with the 2 clamping pad thingies. Should I grease those metal plates to eliminate the friction?
2. I just saw Slick50 bottles at the part store. Awesome product from what I read the label. Instead of using oil, I'm thinking about stop using oil and instead use all Slick50 at my next oil change. How many HP do you think I can get from doing this?
3. Driving with my windows down, I hear too much wind noise. Must be all that air drag. Should I install spoilers (one on hood, one on roof and one on trunk) to smooth out the airflow? Also, I got some mud flaps and I'm planning to install them in front of my tires (instead of the back) to reduce the tire-air drag. And the wipers got to go too!
4. I read from car magazines about tire rolling resistance. Bad. I'll get myself 4 spinning rim wheel covers. That should fix that issue.
5. 93 octane gas is too expensive. Can I use Octane Booster gas additive to boost my car's HP? It also keeps my carburetor clean too.
6. Should I replace my air filter with a metal screen to catch thrown rocks while allowing my car to get all of the air it needs to breath? That should give me some more HP, right?

I'm a poor college student who couldn't afford to take my car to the dealer to fix the control arm and had to do it myself so I hope all of these low hanging fruits will give me some much needed HP. I'm saving $ and when I have enough, I'll get one of those twin-scrolled turbos from the E90 and strap that on my 325ci. Can't wait.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
The only really effective mod is curb feelers.

Yeah, I subscribe, like most of you, to the devolution hypothesis: the cheaper these cars get, the more likely they are to come into the hands of those who make the kinds of posts we're seeing more of these days.

(No, SPDSKTR, you are not a dick, despite your assurances to the contrary, lol!)

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i

Last edited by Tommy D; 05-27-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
what everybody said is true, the e46 has become so affordable (dirt cheap) that buyers think it was a good deal, unfortunately the upkeep will be compounded. I've joined other forums like the Jaguar and Lincoln LS (own both and bought them dirt cheap too) and everyday you got the same issue being posted (cops and cooling system/overheating) I do notice that plastic parts in the US tend to last longer than the one in Europe (lack of QA or just how the way it is)

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/
Old 05-27-2017, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
I think a big part of the problem is that people buy BMWs without understanding what kind of car they really are. They assume BMWs are sports cars, and therefore should be very powerful and accelerate very fast. They don't understand that these cars are really about roadholding, overall handling, driving fast on winding roads, and cruising at high speed on the autobahn. For what they want, they bought the wrong kind of car.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
I think a big part of the problem is that people buy BMWs without understanding what kind of car they really are. They assume BMWs are sports cars, and therefore should be very powerful and accelerate very fast. They don't understand that these cars are really about roadholding, overall handling, driving fast on winding roads, and cruising at high speed on the autobahn. For what they want, they bought the wrong kind of car.
Many of those same people also feel that since these cars cost $40,000 when new, nothing should ever go wrong with them....

Old 05-27-2017, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 99M32
Are we being trolled? Seriously. Are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Many of those same people also feel that since these cars cost $40,000 when new, nothing should ever go wrong with them....

I'm going to assume that nothing in $40k BMW line-up appeals to most of the people on this vbb, that those cars range $60 -$80k.
One can hope that they are more reliable than a sub-20K econo-box.
Instead they seem to be higher performing and high-strung. I can't wait to see what happens to resale values as this new generation of boosted models start to age out.
I always been astounded how little value the upper end 5-series and 7-series retains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-27-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:24 AM
<- Bailey

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I am pretty sure Direct Exhaust Injection (DEI) is what you are looking for.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
...I always been astounded how little value the upper end 5-series and 7-series retains.
And I'm thankful for it.

Sent from the past using the Bimmerfest app on my flip-phone

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG (hello X7, and lottery!)
1999 BMW 740i - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 BMW 330xi - fXtXeX/son project time - still needs work but he's driving it
2008 BMW 335xi - quite the replacement winter beater for an Impala!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
I always been astounded how little value the upper end 5-series and 7-series retains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.nanimous View Post
And I'm thankful for it.
Around 10 years ago, I was window-shopping, pricing out an E60 535iTouring, nicely -equipped with Sport Pkg., etc. It priced out to more than $70,000, which made me put down my pencil and paper when I realized that if I was patient, I`d probanly be able to pick one up coming off a short (30-month) lease for about HALF that amount....

New-car depreciation is a real kick in the nuts....

Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330ci MT
Sup

Was browsing these awesome forums you guys have and decided to join up.

Purchased a e46 330ci manual. The plan is to make this car look as oem-nice as possible. I have adjustable koni's, and a staggered setup coming once I get some tires for the wheels. I'll post pics.

Also, any preferred vendors, outside of a dealership, where I could get interior trim pieces? The original ones (quality being the motivator), so I can replace some scratched up ones.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search