Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 740i Blk/Blk
Bill, I know man. They are nuts. $12 for shipping is little high.

Go ahead install the HID Kit for the Fog, you will like it. But to me I think you should get the 8000K instead of 6000K. But of course your call, The 8000K really an eye candy. Pretty much everyone will look at your car and the lighting. That blueish white it amazing.

(PS: From my Mercedes E63 AMG, I had the same HID Kit for fog. And the space for the bulb is more closer and tighter than our BMW 7 series, I didn't have any heat problem at all. So on our 7 series, you will be fine. It shouldn't have heat problem, it will not melt anything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR2009 View Post
If you recall, during my measurements the voltage drops appx 2 volts when the headlights are turned on resulting in dimmer Angel Eyes.

The HID's look great on the fogs. And I agree, the space between the HID bulb and the lense appears to be adequate. In addition, the space inside the assembly where the bulb is operating is large allowing for heat dissipation. I am going to go ahead with the install.

What pisses me off is I need the harness which is $12, and they want to charge me $12 shipping. What the heck? They suggested I just buy another bulb kit. What am I going to do with that? Forgetaboutit. I'll make my own kit, reluctantly.

Sam, I don't know about those AE bulbs. The color is fantastic, but they just don't do it for me on the outer ring. Maybe that is going to be the best we can do. I wish they would stack those LED's on top of each other on the two forks giving twice the brightness. It doesn't appear I can add to the system either. I wonder if I could attach an LED on the top of each of the metal forks (of the same quality). The voltage pull would be minimum and the light would probably increase over 50%. Hmmm. How much were those? I may buy two sets and tear them up.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Bill:

I am using this for AE now.

As for the Fog, I did post details pictures. Here is the link.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=415604&page=6

For the Error Canceller. I have to use two of these on each side in order to fix the flickering problem. Make sure you get the 9-36V. I am not if one canceller will work on your 2009 750 but on mine, that damn car need two lol.

Quote:
SAM and MBWORLDZ,

are you using the same AE bulbs?

did you use a harness/relay on the fogs?

what was the rating on the relay (if you know voltage/amps)?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Sam, according to your picture, I think the inner ring still little brighter than the outer one.

I believe there is none of the LED or HID Kit will make them have the same equal brightness.
Unless stupid BMW fix the damn corona ring on our 7 series. Cause only the new 3 and 5 have re-designed corona ring that will get the same brightness output.

One of my friend just came back from Taiwan and he found a manufacturer that make LEDs. He showed him a super bright LED bulb. But he didn't get any sample. He is deciding if he will order 20 pcs to test it out here. So, I told him. As soon as he gets it, I will put that on my car as prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO View Post
As requested, here are the photos taken in broad daylight although it was raining all day. Now if just the DTRL are on, it looks nice and white but when the headlights are on, it's more yellowish. BUT with the LED's, one ring is brighter than the other which I am not very fond of either, with these Philip bulbs, both rings are bright.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM

I also changed the Adaptive Light bulb to LED. If you notice yours, when you turn your steering wheel, that adaptive light is horrible yellow color. That must go away LOL.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Munchen bound

Mein Auto: Ferrari
I'm doing the install now; including creating a harness with fuses and appropriate wire. Silly that DDM didn't use some form of mounting bracket on their ballast--just a strange deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Munchen bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Bill, I know man. They are nuts. $12 for shipping is little high.

Go ahead install the HID Kit for the Fog, you will like it. But to me I think you should get the 8000K instead of 6000K. But of course your call, The 8000K really an eye candy. Pretty much everyone will look at your car and the lighting. That blueish white it amazing.

(PS: From my Mercedes E63 AMG, I had the same HID Kit for fog. And the space for the bulb is more closer and tighter than our BMW 7 series, I didn't have any heat problem at all. So on our 7 series, you will be fine. It shouldn't have heat problem, it will not melt anything).
Great information. I have photos detailing the space...I'll share shortly.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Bill are you installing the HID FOG ? Use the 3M double sided tape

Quote:
I'm doing the install now; including creating a harness with fuses and appropriate wire. Silly that DDM didn't use some form of mounting bracket on their ballast--just a strange deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Mercedes, Ford
Quote:
Sam, according to your picture, I think the inner ring still little brighter than the outer one.

I believe there is none of the LED or HID Kit will make them have the same equal brightness.
Unless stupid BMW fix the damn corona ring on our 7 series. Cause only the new 3 and 5 have re-designed corona ring that will get the same brightness output.

One of my friend just came back from Taiwan and he found a manufacturer that make LEDs. He showed him a super bright LED bulb. But he didn't get any sample. He is deciding if he will order 20 pcs to test it out here. So, I told him. As soon as he gets it, I will put that on my car as prototype.
Maybe a little brighter but for now I am happy with the bulbs I have got, not extreme white but one look you can tell it's white and bright enough. Off course when some LED's out with no warning codes, I will jump at it. I leave my DTRL on all day when I'm driving, I love how this looks now and especially on a white body.
Hopefully the one's your friend brings back send no error codes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	248594  

"Age is but a statistic that has no relevance to enjoyment of horsepower"

Last edited by SAMLAMBO; 10-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Hows the installation bill? Did you get it done yet ?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Munchen bound

I have completed the installation.

First off, anything worth doing is worth doing right; so nothing was skmped on and nothing not done well. Every connection was sealed twice; once with heat shrink connection, then with heat shrink plastic. I utilized one main fuse (30 amps), two branch fuses (15 amps each), one relay I constructed myself adding the various connectors, tie-downs, and proper feeding of the wires through appropriate places, and strong ground and power connections.

The result is nothing short of incredible.

OBSERVATIONS:

1. I installed 6000 Kelvin, which I initially thought would be low on the color spectrum. Well, compared to the stock bulbs they absolutely look waaaay better, and possibly aftermarket--bothers me a tad.

2. I tested voltage and amp pull, nothing extraordinary but a direct line is necessary utilizing 12 g wire to be sure the pipeline is large enough for the current draw.

3. I hung the ballasts behind the bulb box on an aluminum cross member with two high temperature ties around the cables--nothing will melt if it gets hot. My testing showed it not to get hotter than 120 F.

4. The cable runs were the most difficult because I wanted to do it right where I had access to each fuse easily in the instance I needed to track down problems with a short. Having a fuse for each ballasts makes isolating any trouble shooting easy. There is also a main fuse to protect the overall circuits as well. Nothing blew during my testing following the installation.

5. Error codes were tripped. Since the original wires are hanging (with the exception of the left side since I needed it to trip my relay to tell the bulbs to come on when switched), they were empty, so naturally the ECU thinks the bulbs are out. No problem really, add two resistors matched to the resistance of the bulbs. But this doesn't concern me as it can be solved. However...

6. After the install I began taking temperature readings. First it was 110F. No big deal since the low beams run around 90F. A few minutes later another reading; 160F, then 180F, then 200F, then 205F. Oooookay. Now I'm getting worried. These things are running waaaay hotter than they did when I tested them on the bench. And closing in on three times hotter than the stock bulbs (for the fogs). I am very concerned that this heat will build-up. And not surprisingly, the temperature was hotter on the top than the bottom of the fixture lens.

Now you have to ask yourself if this is a big deal. I don't know. What I do know is the area was not designed for that kind of temperatures. I am worried that it will cause damage at some point. Not an electrical problem that will trip the fuses, but a melting problem that will show nothing until it's too late. This IS my ONLY concern with these bulbs and this set-up. It may be fine, but I'm not so sure I want to take the chance.

7. The color is waaaay to blue compared to the stock bulbs. You must upgrade your low beams or the car will look stupid, or aftermarket accessory-ville, which isn't my goal here. If you upgrade both, I think you're in good shape.

IN SUMMATION:

I really like the look a lot. However, you are now committed to upgrading your low beam color as well. The biggest, and the deal killer for me is the heat. I don't trust the temperature at all. You see, I have clear-coat protection over the front of my car, including the headlight and fog light lenses. This will cause heat rentention to be even higher, but it will also skew my temperature readings to a lower reading due to the fact I'm reading the lens protector and not the lens. So what is the true temperature of the lens--it's higher than my readings that's for sure.

A very important note regarding temperature taking: I attempted to get the highest reading possible on the lens, not the filament. So to do this I sat off to the side where I could not hit the gas/fire with the lazer reader, but just the lens. So it is much hotter in there than what I'm reading, I just don't know how much hotter. If I had to guess; 70-80F hotter.

So, after 5 hours of install work what am I going to do? Take the whole set-up out. The heat is just too high and while I do not believe the damage will occur quickly, it will accumulate and eventually raise its ugly head. Now this is only my opinion, and my opinion only. Without the lens covers they may run cooler and not show any marked damage after a period of time. I just don't want to chance it.

I was surprised to see such high temperatures given my bench tests. Live and learn. I had fun doing it. Don't think I'll do it again anytime soon, though.

Pics to follow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	248677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	248678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	248679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	248680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	248681  

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	248682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	248685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	248686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	248687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	248688  

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	248689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	248690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	248691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	248692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	248693  

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	248694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1756.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	248695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	248696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	248697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	248698  

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	248699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	248700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	248701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	248702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	248703  

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	248704  

Last edited by BMR2009; 10-02-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Please send us details pictures
I got my low beam and fog matches the same temperature. They look amazing.
The only thing that bothers me is the AE lol.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Munchen bound

Quote:
Please send us details pictures
I got my low beam and fog matches the same temperature. They look amazing.
The only thing that bothers me is the AE lol.

Now I see why you changed the low beams---you have to or it looks really bad. Sadly, photos don't come close to showing how powerful and sharp they look. You really need to see them in person to appreciate them. I will be changing the color in my headlights, AE's and Fogs. Please keep us posted on the function of yours long-term and if anything creeps up on you from heat etc. You need to post pics with the matching lights.

Just bought these 102 LED's. I had tested the 68ish version but they lacked power. Maaaaybe these will do it (for the AE's). If not, I'm making my own.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	248624  

Last edited by BMR2009; 10-01-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Yes, They look amazing with 8000K on the fog and low beam. I can't describe how good it looks but just when I stop at the traffic light or cruising around , people will just look at my fog and low beam then the whole car. LOL.

Digital camera is really hard to capture a clean shot and clarity. May be I try shoot a small video and post it on youtube.

Yesterday I got a pair of 10000K D2S HID bulb for my wife's Porsche 911. Couple minutes ago I just removed her driver side head light and put in the D2S bulb.
The results just night and day. Stock 4300K temperature VS 10000K.

I will post pictures once I download it

Bill, I will really suggest you get the 8000K bulb and give it a try on the low beam and fog. That will change the way you look at it. This blueish look is no joke.

Quote:
Now I see why you changed the low beams---you have to or it looks really bad. Sadly, photos don't come close to showing how powerful and sharp they look. You really need to see them in person to appreciate them. I will be changing the color in my headlights, AE's and Fogs. Please keep us posted on the function of yours long-term and if anything creeps up on you from heat etc. You need to post pics with the matching lights.

Just bought these 102 LED's. I had tested the 68ish version but they lacked power. Maaaaybe these will do it (for the AE's). If not, I'm making my own.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Munchen bound

I think my 6000k are perfect, and they kick-up some serious heat. The 8000k will produce more heat given the tint, I'm sure.

I kid you not when I say the fog lights are BRIGHTER than the headlights, a strange anomoly for me. Fog lights are a supplement to the headlights, not necessarily brighter than them though. I totally agree; you must change out the headlight color if you are to keep the fog lights at a higher temperature. It just looks odd with 4100k low beams vs a 6000k or 8000k fog.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Bill, True that. Thats just my personal taste.

I captured the videos last night.

Stock 4300K HID vs 10000K HID

Close up 8000K HID on BMW and 10000K on Porsche 911

10000K Bulb on both sides.

Quote:
I think my 6000k are perfect, and they kick-up some serious heat. The 8000k will produce more heat given the tint, I'm sure.

I kid you not when I say the fog lights are BRIGHTER than the headlights, a strange anomoly for me. Fog lights are a supplement to the headlights, not necessarily brighter than them though. I totally agree; you must change out the headlight color if you are to keep the fog lights at a higher temperature. It just looks odd with 4100k low beams vs a 6000k or 8000k fog.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Munchen bound

Man, don't you just love how easy it is to remove the headlights on a Porsche? One twist with the tool on the inside of the trunk and it pops right out. They did that right.

I don't think 10,000k is legal here in the states. That said, photography does not do the improvement any justice--they look ten times better in person than they do in video. There's more depth, clarity and color than appears on film.

Good work.

Last edited by BMR2009; 10-02-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Munchen bound

How did you get to the low beams--was it through the front wheel well?

And did you just replace the bulb, nothing else?

What bulbs did you use?

Any codes (for low beam bubl replacement)?

Last edited by BMR2009; 10-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Yes, 10000K is not legal. But during my comparison. The 10000K vs 8000K are very close to each other. You can't really tell the huge difference. (Here in LA, cops mostly pull over those modified Japanese cars )

As for how to change the low beam. First I thought I had to remove the bumper and head lights but actually you don't. But it not easy.

You need to turn the wheels all the way to other direction so you can get access to the wheel well. You will need to unscrew two screws from that low beam cap. One need to access it through the wheel well and one from the top. Try force to push the headlight (slide out) a little bit cause you don't really have much room to access it. Thanks god I have small hand.

You just need to replace the bulb, thats it. The bulb is pretty standard on most updated German Cars. It is D1S. Your choice of Kevin of course. No error code at all. Don't worry.

Once you open the cap, you need to unlock that metal piece that hold the D1S bulb.
remove that metal piece and take out the bulb. (very tiny room, horrible).
Be carefully with the wire that connect on the bottom of the D1S bulb, you need to use your tiny finger to unplug it.

Putting it back it hard as well LOL. Especially once you put the bulb back, there is no way you can see the plug, you need to feel it.

Very bad design from BMW. Look at the porsche. Use a small wrench, twist it. The whole thing slide out, i can change low beam, high beam, fog...etc all at once

So bill, your next project will be doing the low beam I believe. It will take you some time.

Too bad I was doing it myself and no one help me take pictures to show the steps.

Quote:
Man, don't you just love how easy it is to remove the headlights on a Porsche? One twist with the tool on the inside of the trunk and it pops right out. They did that right.

I don't think 10,000k is legal here in the states. That said, photography does not do the improvement any justice--they look ten times better in person than they do in video. There's more depth, clarity and color than appears on film.

Good work.

Last edited by mbworldz; 10-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Munchen bound

So you went in through the wheel well removing the molding?

So I guess you can't change your own bulb if it burns out.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Yes, you need to turn the steering all the way, then you get room to remove the wheel well.
Then on the top, open the hood, remove the whole plastic molding on the side from the front along the side, so you can see through the location of the low beam. Pain in the ass.

BMW don't want you to change the low beam. Thats why we don't see any instructions on how to change it on our owner's manual. They want you take it back to dealer.
I guess they don't like people mess with their cars lol.

But I can change it now just need more time and patient :-)

Quote:
So you went in through the wheel well removing the molding?

So I guess you can't change your own bulb if it burns out.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Munchen bound

What bulbs did you use? I'm thinking Phillips since that is stock anyway.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
What bulbs did you use? I'm thinking Phillips since that is stock anyway.
Mine has no name brand. They all work the same to me. I have uses these D1S in the past. A goog brand and no brand just te same to me. They do last very long. Never had problem. The only problem I had was the ballasts. Get a name brand one is better.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Munchen bound

For D1S bulbs, the ballast is attached to the bulb. For those set-ups that require a ballast, I agree.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li AH
You guys are killing me on these lights. Love the looks but after reading all the posts, confused on what to do or get.

Mbworldz love the look. What did you have to so for the 8000k. I am not a diy person. Need a very simple solution
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Mercedes, Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh111 View Post
You guys are killing me on these lights. Love the looks but after reading all the posts, confused on what to do or get.

Mbworldz love the look. What did you have to so for the 8000k. I am not a diy person. Need a very simple solution
Which is why I ended up with what I bought. Cheap and good made in Germany from Philips.

"Age is but a statistic that has no relevance to enjoyment of horsepower"

Last edited by SAMLAMBO; 10-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.