Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997usa View Post
I have bought both the GP Thunder H8 7500 as well as the LED Bulbs (Ebay: 400126028357) - Once I have my (in about 10 days I hope), I will make pictures of before & after with both lights.
Did you get the LED lights yet? I just saw the auction and I am really curious. Hopefully they look amazing.

Anyone know if the new LED corona rings on the F10 are compatible with the F01?

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i Blk/Blk
Angel Eyes

Hello Bill,

Followed your instructions and finally got the GP Thunder H8 bulbs installed this morning . Very easy to reach and change it. Very happy with the result.

Picture is little crappy, I was using the iphone. The actual color is bright white and looking very good.

My next step is to change the stock head lights. Is the bulb located in front of the parking lights? I saw it saids "H3". Is that what it use for head lights?

I have a pair of 8500k D1S Bulb, Just wonder if this car uses this type though.

Thanks
CED

Last edited by mbworldz; 08-20-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Angel Eyes

So does it really take 15 minutes to make the switch? Everyone who has made the change successfully and posted have commented on how easy it is. I pick up my new 750i in three days. I have never so much as changed wiper blades on my car.

The only thing I have to go on to make the switch myself is this post and the owner's manual. For those of you who made the change, any tips of what to watch out for, or anything that may have tripped you up in the process? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The finished product looks so good that even a newb like me is compelled to try myself.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Hello Bill,

Followed your instructions and finally got the H8 bulbs installed this morning . Very easy to reach and change it. Very happy with the result.

Picture is little crappy, I was using the iphone. The actual color is bright white and looking very good.

My next step is to change the stock head lights. Is the bulb located in front of the parking lights? I saw it saids "H3". Is that what it use for head lights?

I have a pair of 8500k D1S Bulb, Just wonder if this car uses this type though.

Thanks
CED
wow!! your angel eyes looks amazing.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonsu View Post
So does it really take 15 minutes to make the switch? Everyone who has made the change successfully and posted have commented on how easy it is. I pick up my new 750i in three days. I have never so much as changed wiper blades on my car.

The only thing I have to go on to make the switch myself is this post and the owner's manual. For those of you who made the change, any tips of what to watch out for, or anything that may have tripped you up in the process? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The finished product looks so good that even a newb like me is compelled to try myself.
It only takes like ten minutes and it's very simple. The only thing I would say to be careful about is when you take out the existing bulb, be very careful when you loosen the connectors. I had one connector break off and the bulb is being held by the other one. You will see it when you get to it. It is a very simple process and you shouldn't have any problems. Good Luck!!

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: '14 750i
Like hammadurb said.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
so what brand bulbs are you using?? gpthunders or piaas?????
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Munchen bound

Mein Auto: Ferrari
Sorry for my absence, been working.

I have not done the headlights, but they are right there so can't imagine them being difficult.

I have done the GP's and had bad luck with them after a short spell, and so did a friend. I have had NO problems with the PIAAs. I am in the process of order some LED versions from China, directly from the manufacturer, no middleman. I'll post up what they look like once I get them.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 PM

It takes less than 15 mins to switch. Extremely simple. Cause they are all reachable. Just follow his instructions from his first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonsu View Post

Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Did you mean you had bad luck with GP Thunder bulb that you used at the beginning, they didn't last ? Mine still good for now, no error codes at all. But I still think they are not bright enough. Looking for alternatives. Is PIAA more brighter ?

As for the low beam head light. They are EXTREMELY hard to change. I attempted to do it this morning and finally gave up.

I removed the plastic cover along the side on the top, and notice that the plastic cap that covered the low beam head lamp has a screwed to tighten it. It makes me more difficult to unscrew it and there might be another screw on the bottom. Room is very limited. I have tiny hands but still can't reach it. Bill, if you can try it yourself or have a different way to change the low beam bulb, please let me know. Cause it is not as easy as changing the angel eyes. Seriously.

I don't know why bmw made this so difficult. My previous E63 AMG was piece of cake also. They probably don't want us to change the low beam bulb i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR2009 View Post
Sorry for my absence, been working.

I have not done the headlights, but they are right there so can't imagine them being difficult.

I have done the GP's and had bad luck with them after a short spell, and so did a friend. I have had NO problems with the PIAAs. I am in the process of order some LED versions from China, directly from the manufacturer, no middleman. I'll post up what they look like once I get them.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Is your new PIAA angel eye more white and brighter the GP thunder you had before?

Quote:
Interesting. I have seen those before on-line-- I'd love to see them in person. I'm happy with my PIAA's, but if there is something better, I'm happy to consider. Send me any links you have. thx
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Munchen bound

The PIAA's are whiter and brighter than my GP's were. In addition, they have not coded on me either. I DID have error code problems with the GP's and would not recommend them. If, however, you have had good luck, good for you. I plan to test other bulbs in hopes of finding bluer/whiter bulbs. I want to raise the Kelvin a bit to get a very slight blue tint.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Munchen bound

When the GP's coded on me, the car would shut down the angel eyes completely and only the headlights would work. I would have to turn off the car for a reset to get them to come back on. Once they came on, I would either receive an error code where they would be shut off, or if I turned on the headlights they would code and shut down. Real pain in the ass. I believe there may be a temperature sensor in there somewhere that measures the heat reflected back, if it gets to hot they shut down. And since these bulbs have a tint (the GP's much worse than the PIAA's) they get hotter and code. So, do NOT go deep blue or you'll code, IMO.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i 2006 330ci
Led h8?

Anyone tried LED bulbs yet? If yes, please share your experience.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Munchen bound

Keep in mind, the bluer you go, the less light you throw. There's no way around this unless you go with higher wattage bulbs, and then you get more heat and a higher risk of damage due to heat. You see, the bulbs are dyed to project the color, and that color is measured in temperature (Kelvin). It has nothing to do with how hot the bulb gets, but the color the bulb will throw due to its tinting. The deeper the tint, the hotter the bulb will be (reflective heat). The clearer the bulb, the cooler it will run as more light escapes, and less heat is retained. Sadly, the bulb's natural color is a yellowish-white.

LED may very well provide the best of both worlds; bluish coloring, and no heat. LED's generate very little heat.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Munchen bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
Anyone tried LED bulbs yet? If yes, please share your experience.
I am in the process of ordering some from China. I have no idea what they will look like, but I am optimistic given their characteristics. My only concern is their efficiency which is largely based on the quality of the LED itself. I can't evaluate that until I have them in my hand/car. I will post them once I have them.

What's that phrase, "..the slow boat from China.."
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Munchen bound

And yes, there is an H8 LED bulb. Imagine if they work? Man, you can put them in your fogs too.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM

I wonder why GP thunder put 8500 Kelvin. Which I doubt that it it. My D1S bulb has 8000K Kelvin temp and it looks blueish. But the GP thunder is not. so far I dont have error code. But if I do, I will try the PIAA bill.

Quote:
When the GP's coded on me, the car would shut down the angel eyes completely and only the headlights would work. I would have to turn off the car for a reset to get them to come back on. Once they came on, I would either receive an error code where they would be shut off, or if I turned on the headlights they would code and shut down. Real pain in the ass. I believe there may be a temperature sensor in there somewhere that measures the heat reflected back, if it gets to hot they shut down. And since these bulbs have a tint (the GP's much worse than the PIAA's) they get hotter and code. So, do NOT go deep blue or you'll code, IMO.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Munchen bound

PLEASE keep us posted if you code as we want everyone to know what codes and what does not. I may have just been unlucky, but then that would also include a friend. So keep us posted. Personally, I think that is too blue. Going down the the spectrum would probably give a more factory look. Just my opinion.

Here are the bulbs I'm ordering: over 60 LED's and another that has 16. We'll see!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED H8.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	242849  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Munchen bound

I'll put the GP's in tomorrow and post pics of the anomoly. Really straaaaaaange.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM

I will absolutely keep you guys posted. But bill, can you check how to change the low beam head light bulb. It seems extremely hard lol. No Kidding.
I don't know how to remove that cap to open it, seems like there are screws on the top and bottom to tighten it.

Quote:
PLEASE keep us posted if you code as we want everyone to know what codes and what does not. I may have just been unlucky, but then that would also include a friend. So keep us posted. Personally, I think that is too blue. Going down the the spectrum would probably give a more factory look. Just my opinion.

Here are the bulbs I'm ordering: over 60 LED's and another that has 16. We'll see!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
im getting confused with all the PIAA choices...theres extreme white....star white...norther star blah blah.....which really is the best PIAA???? i want the whitest piaa, i dont like blue bulbs.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 PM

What about this one ?
http://www.carpartslights.com/2x-18-...ght-p-112.html

Quote:

Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Munchen bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Certainly look like they're from China. If that's for two units, that's a steal (if they work, etc.). I think they are worth trying for that price, and free shipping. I put my order in directly to a manufacturer, and they were nearly $20 each. There are another pair out there with 16 and I've decided to pass on them due to shipping charges and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any reason to go dim.

Someone should try these out.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Is H8 and H11 socket both the same ?