Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:04 PM
It's all about torque

Mein Auto: 2000 328i SP/PP FernGreen
2000 328i list of problems

My list is rather long but everything was repaired by the dealer (Fields BMW in Winter Park, FL) to my satisfaction.

I originally bought the 2000 328iA SP/PP with 13,000 miles and CPO warranty in April 2002. Vehicle service history data showed previous services were performed on time. The vehicle was traded in for a red 330cic while I was there looking at a new 330iA and I couldn't turn down the deal by the salesman. This list of warranty work is from the most recent on:

9/2003, Mileage 36,000 replaced right-rear window regulator after failure; also replaced left-front window regulator after inspection found potentially failing mechanism.

12/2002, Mileage 23,500 replaced Business CD due to Flux Capacitor failure (that's right, a flux capcitor- think Back to the Future !). Replaced wood plate around shifter due to poor fitment. Replaced left track in sunroof slide cover due to misaligning track. Replaced front brake pads, rotors and wear sensor. Notes: This was a laundry list of items which I took care of in one visit while Fields provided me with a BMW loaner for the day. The brakes were unscheduled but discovered during a vehicle inspection. The dealer called me before doing the brakes (under warranty).

10/2002, Mileage 19,700 replaced windshield washer pump. Reservoir unable to hold fluid due to leaking pump seals

8/2002 through 9/2002, Mileage 19,100 O.K. this one deserves a full explanation. The car was brought in for an intermittant metallic tapping noise eminating from the shifter tunnel area. The faint noise occurred only under moderate to hard acceleration after the car was driven for at least 10 minutes. It was most noticeable at Interstate speeds. I told them I thought it was a universal joint or Steptronic transmission bearing problem.

The dealer initially replaced the piston for the timing chain tensioner- but the problem persisted.

The dealer then used two techs, one to drive and one to use a Chassis Ear (stethoscope) with the console out to hear the location of the problem. In doing so, they discovered that the oil pump was making a noise. They perforrmed a diagnostic on it and the oil pressure was jumping all around in the 2400-2600 RPM range. After dropping the oil pan and inspecting, they noticed no damage to main bearings and connecting rods (thank goodness). They also checked the fuel pressure, A/C, alternator, belts and accessories. The problem still remained.

Next, the dealer consulted the Factory who told them first to replace the catalytic converters, then the front and rear exhaust mainfolds, the intake manifolds and intake silencers, then the resonator section of the exhaust, and finally the heat shield. These parts cost $8K by the way. This direction by the factory didn't fix the problem (anyone here surprised?).

The next directive from the Factory was to check the transmission fluid levels, clear the adaption values, and replace the torque converter. Bingo! problem fixed. Now I needed to wait another week for them to remove all the parts they replaced and put back my originals.

Total time: 7 weeks
Number of loaner cars: 3
Patience left: 21.47%
Dealer Gift: OEM clear lens set (patience back to 100%)

7/2002, Mileage 17,500 Replaced window regulator in left-front window after failure.

Although this list seems long, the dealer service department was very good about keeping me informed along the way. I am very mechanically oriented and fully understand the issues in locating a problem as well as needing to follow the Factory guidance.

My only wish is that BMW-AG fixes the window regulator problem (plastic rollers and pulleys break over time due to fatigue/oxidation of Nylon parts) This problem affects all models, not just the E46. It is very embarassing when your nice car sounds like it's eating the window while your clients are riding with you.

Thanks for visiting my diatribe.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2003, 04:08 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
my list a very long too.