Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
BMW 2009 CPO Consumer Information Statement

Here is the 2009 version of BMW's Certified Pre-Owned Consumer Information Statement. This has more information than you will find at BMW's website at http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx.

Some interesting additional information:

The website states the Engine is covered, but the actual document excludes piston rings, valves and valve guides.

The website states the Suspension is covered, but the actual document excludes suspension dampers, springs, stabilizer bars and supports/links, control arms and brackets, wishbones, trailing arms, bushings, thrust struts, ball joints, center tie rods, tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves, ideler and pitman arms. Really? What's left?

The weasel wording that BMW uses to protect itself is "there are components or parts on any vehicle that are subject to gradual deterioration or wear". I think it's fair to say just about any part on a car fits this description. I find this pretty lame for a 2 year extended warranty on a luxury car. If a piston ring and valve can't make 2 years beyond the basic factory warranty there is clearly a design problem.

There are plenty of other exceptions also, take a look at the attached PDF of the booklet I scanned.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW 2009 CPO Consumer Information Statement.pdf (828.7 KB, 1128 views)
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth View Post
Here is the 2009 version of BMW's Certified Pre-Owned Consumer Information Statement. This has more information than you will find at BMW's website at http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx.

Some interesting additional information:

The website states the Engine is covered, but the actual document excludes piston rings, valves and valve guides.

The website states the Suspension is covered, but the actual document excludes suspension dampers, springs, stabilizer bars and supports/links, control arms and brackets, wishbones, trailing arms, bushings, thrust struts, ball joints, center tie rods, tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves, ideler and pitman arms. Really? What's left?

The weasel wording that BMW uses to protect itself is "there are components or parts on any vehicle that are subject to gradual deterioration or wear". I think it's fair to say just about any part on a car fits this description. I find this pretty lame for a 2 year extended warranty on a luxury car. If a piston ring and valve can't make 2 years beyond the basic factory warranty there is clearly a design problem.

There are plenty of other exceptions also, take a look at the attached PDF of the booklet I scanned.
It doesn't completely exclude piston rings, valves and valve guides. It limits coverage to defects in material or workmanship. As the contract says the CPO is a warranty against defects in material or workmanship for covered components. It is not an extended service contract. I think a lot of people think of it as a service contract. I think that is probably why BMW has dumped the Original Owner's Protection Plan and begun offering BMW backed extended service contracts.

Thanks for posting this!

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-29-2009 at 09:03 PM.