Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Transmission removal

Removed and replaced the 5 hp19 transmission out of 2004 z4. For all of you contemplating it, it was probably one of the easiest jobs I've done. It was easier than the water pump. The only special tools you need are the external torx bits for the transmission bolts. Get a whole set of them. Jack the car up safely. I put some extra wheels under each tire as a safety catc, but had the car on jack stands.

Remove the under pans from engine and back.

Remove only the driver side rear end brace.

Remove exhaust system.

Losen shifter cable from shifter arm on tranny.

Remove heat shields.

Remove torx bolts from rear of drive shaft. Shift transmission in and out of park to rotate drive shaft and to hod it when loosening bolts. Shift it with the lever you just loosened from cable. You don't have to crawl out from under the car.

Unbolt driveshaft from rubber coupler on tranny. 18 mm bolts. Use tranny shift lever to move friveshft as necessary.

Remove bolts from driveshaft mid support.

Compress driveshaft. Might need to pry off of differential.

Remov transmission mount and drop down tranny. May need to remove shifter cable from mount to keep from pulling on it.

Remove torq converter bolts from passenger side access hole in engine block. Use screwdriver in bottom hole of bell housing to move flywheel for other two bolts. Don't worry if you drop one into bottom of bellhousing. Even when installing I dropped one. You can move the bolt to the bellhousing hole next to the flywheel access and pry it out with bolt head down.

Remove the torx bolts from tranny, leaving one to steady it.

Remove tranny cooler lines. One 13 mm bolt and they come out.

Remove rear tranny wiring harness. 1/4 turn unscrew release.

Remove shifter harness from driver side at shifter lever coming out of tranny. The front piece of the plug is a twist lock. Twist 1/4turn and it comes out like the rear one. Sometimes the plug spins in the metal holder. You will have to hold it and keep from spinning.

Remove O2 sensor wires from support on drivers side of bellhousing.

Remove wirin harness from clips on side and top of tranny.

Fully remove shifter cable from mount.

Put floor jack under tranny and support . Remove last tranny bolt.

Pull tranny out and lower.

You are done.

Access to the flywheel teeth and the bottom of torque converter make it easy to ligh up bolt holes on install. Don't worr about ligning up the holes. Just spin th torque converter with one finger from bottom to line it up.

Takes about 2 hours alone. I had to remove twice because attempted seal repair and bushing replacement did not work. With help to hand me tools like a surgical nurse, it took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to remove, took about 2 to put it back in with filling the tranny.

I just wanted to write about this, because I was Leary of taking this on because of how painful working on the motor is. This was truly simple though.

Oh yes, you will nee 3-4 ft of extensions to reach the tranny bolts. It's easiest to do it from the back of tranny. You will need a universal for the top tranny bolt and a couple of others that support the exhaust bracket on the bell housing.

Good luck
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
What a great write up. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Makes it sound simple. What was wrong with the transmission?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4, 1976 Jeep CJ-7,
Its awesome that you took the time to write this up to share with others! The trans is a five speed automatic...? with a 2.5L engine? Just curious. I have the SMG manual/auto, 3.0I and I didn't know there were other trans options available except for the six speed manual....
Old 02-01-2015, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Yes,

It is a 5 speed auto. Steps ronin I think. I know it is a zc 5 hp19.

The problem was that it started POURING tranny fluid out of the bell housing. Pulled it out and then pulled the torque converter/pump seal to replace it. Found that the bushing that the converter goes into was loose and spinning. Got an over sized bushing and turned it down to the right fit in my lathe. Must be another problem with pressure build up behind that seal, because it did it again when reinstalled. I went and picked up a used one for $700 tax tag and title,90 day warranty, and got to keep the old one. Plan on rebuilding the whole thing when I get some time.