Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
What kind of mpg is everyone getting on the 3.0 si engine? The best I have gotten since the head replacement is 25.0 mpg according to the computer.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/2007 Z4 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCoupe View Post
What kind of mpg is everyone getting on the 3.0 si engine? The best I have gotten since the head replacement is 25.0 mpg according to the computer.
My car is in this week to have this problem looked at. However, I've gotten 30mpg on the highway before. Of course the problem never appears when driven for 10 minutes or more on the highway. It only occurs shortly after cold start-up and after a minute or two around town. As for the fix, I don't think a head replacement is part of the fix. Only replacing valve lifter components.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
6-speed manual, CWP, Xenon, Cft. Seats, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Privacy glass
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCoupe View Post
How does the power feel? Do you feel as though you've gained some power? Is there a break-in for the new components? Also, did they reset your DME and now it will have to re-learn and become efficient?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 PM

The head was replaced in September of 2008. That was the path that BMW was taking at the time to take care of the valve noise. I did notice a little boost in power after the head was replaced. However, I have had two oil changes since then and had the oil analyzed each time. There has been excessive amounts of aluminum in the sample each time. Yet I still only get 25 mpg at the best.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM

I forgot to answer the question on break in. I did allow about a 1000 miles of easy driving after the head replacement. No one at the dealership alerted me to break in the new parts. I just assumed that was the correct path. I do not know if the reset the DME. There was nothing on the repair bill to notify me of that.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 AM

Just got my new lifters installed yesterday and took it out this morning for a low-speed neighborhood drive for a mile or two. Normally, this type of drive triggered the very annoying "tick-tick-tick" sound but today, very quiet and no unusual noises at all. This morning was fairly warm for this time of year (about 45 degrees) but the true test will be when it gets down well below freezing in the morning. Not sure how many hours this procedure takes but my car was at the dealer for a day and a half and it took two weeks for them to get the parts once they were ordered.

So far, I couldn't be more pleased.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 330i 6-speed, ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsz4 View Post
Just got my car back from the dealer. It runs much better now that the VANOS is back into alignment. The parts required for the lifters were;
12 11-33-7-605-330 Hydr. Valve Pushrod
1 11-12-7-581-215 Profile Gasket
1 11-12-0-409-288 Set of Alu. Screws
2 11-36-7-524-954 Collar Screw
Now that the VANOS is back in line, the MPG has increased by 5 MPG in the city, I'll be interested to see how it does on the highway.
Did the dealer give any figures on what the out of warranty cost in parts + labor would have been? I'm curious about this, as some 2006 3.0i/si cars are clocking in under $20k in the local market with about 50-60k miles.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
Did the dealer give any figures on what the out of warranty cost in parts + labor would have been? I'm curious about this, as some 2006 3.0i/si cars are clocking in under $20k in the local market with about 50-60k miles.
The statement I got to keep did not have labor hours on it but the one I sign did. I thought it showed a total of about 7-8 hours labor. The main parts are the 12 x pushrod lifters which have a list price of about $20 each. The other items total about $35. Depending on the labor rate, I'd say this job would run about $1,000-$1,200 if done out of warranty.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Car was in the shop again this week as it had still been making the dreaded ticking noise when driving around town in the morning. Despite the fact that it made it only sporatically at the dealer, BMW has agreed to put a new head on the car. I was frankly shocked but not complaining. Also, it seems that they have approximately 1,300 heads at warehouses around the country ready for such replacement. Seems like they recognize there is a problem and they are being proactive about it. Also, the SA said the heads come all pre-assembled with camshafts and lifters already installed. They said it's a pretty simple swap. Car will only be in for a day or two longer. Sweet.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi, MGA, e39
I may be going down this path. Haven't put my car on the road yet but have noticed the valve tic already. Car only has 5800 miles. Question: Did BMW need to verify the noise before performing work. Did you have to bring the car in a number of times before it was scheduled. Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp View Post
I may be going down this path. Haven't put my car on the road yet but have noticed the valve tic already. Car only has 5800 miles. Question: Did BMW need to verify the noise before performing work. Did you have to bring the car in a number of times before it was scheduled. Thanks
Yes, and yes. they first tried to install the redesigned valve lifters to see if that would work first. When the noise returned, they agreed to the more expensive fix. I can say that I am very pleased with the sound of the engine now. It is MUCH quieter at idle and the car runs like a scalded dog. I was a little concerned at first about the complexity of the repair but it seems my dealer did a great job putting everything back together.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi, MGA, e39
Valve Tic

Thanks for the information. I'll be getting the Title today. Monday I'll call the Dealer SA to discuss the issue. My plans are to drive the car only occasionally so I would like this taken care of ASAP.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i E90
I recently bought a use certified pre-owned 07 328i sedan and a few months into my ownership I had this tickling noise coming from the right side of the engine upon cold start or due to frequent short distance trip. Did a google search and run across this board which describe my exact problem. I took it to the dealer the first time and they couldn't duplicate the noise so I got back and the noise came back. I make a two 2 minutes video of the noise and drop it off at the dealer. They confirmed the noise through my video and were able to fix my issue by replacing 12 hydraulic lifter. Been about a week now and no noise, just want to say thank you for this post last but not least thanks goodness I bought a certified pre-owned.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i coupe
I bought a CPO 2009 328i in April, now have 29k on it, and was quick enough to make a smartphone video of the valve noise last week. I dropped the car off today and got a call this afternoon that they will be replacing the lifters and rocker arms. Hopefully i never hear the noise again, and wont need the new cylinder head. I have only been getting 24mpg on purely highway driving. I hope this repair will improve my mileage. Does anyone have any more info i should know about?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i coupe
I picked up the car and they did replace the exhaust side lifters and rocker arms. They also did the "bleed" procedure and an oil change. They also replaced two VANOS solenoids. The car runs smooth and in the about two weeks since the repair haven't heard any of the lifter noises. The car does seem to run a bit smoother, and seem to get slightly better gas mileage.