Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: car
factory settings

I bought my X3 used. It looks like the last owner had some kind of remote start or other alarm installed but had it taken out. My question is:

I though all X3's have day time running lights. Mine does not or was it turned off?

Are the doors supposed to lock when you shift to drive or when you hit 10mph, then unlock when you shift to park? My locks do nothing.

I read that the X3 has a great anti theft system. When you shake the car of enter it is an alarm supposed to sound? I have shaked the heck out of the car as if I was going to steal the tires and nothing. I then left windows open, locked the doors and entered the X3 through a window and still nothing. Is there supposed to be an audible alarm? Also when I lock and unlock the doors there is no sound. And the panic on the key does not work!

Do I have to go to a dealer to have them check the system and re program everything? Or is there a way I can do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
Most of what you are asking about can be enabled or disabled by the dealer or yourself if you have the software.
The day time running lights and door locks fall within this and can be enabled if you so desire. The alarm on the other hand is optional and may not be installed. If your red light on the rear view mirror blinks when you have locked the X3, you have the alarm. If not, you don't however this can be added for a reasonable sum and is not a big deal to install.
hope this helped.
And no, unless you have software to interface with the computer, the dealership is your only choice for changing these options. You may want to review what can be programmed so you only have to do this once.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56jr View Post
... some kind of remote start or other alarm installed but had it taken out.

..... day time running lights

.... Are the doors supposed to lock when you shift to drive or when you hit 10mph, then unlock when you shift to park?

..... I read that the X3 has a great anti theft system ..... when I lock and unlock the doors there is no sound.

.... Do I have to go to a dealer to have them check the system and re program everything? Or is there a way I can do it?
1. Hope it was removed properly and no loose wires left hanging about.
Also hope the remote start was not used to excess - or preferably not at all.

2. DRL's have to be activated in key programming.

3. Yes, default is 10 mph, or thereabouts. Original owner must have specifically had this turned off. Seller should be responsible for restoring default at no charge, I'd say.
Key programming again.
No automatic unlock - often discussed, but I feel this is the right implementation by BMW, all things considered.

4. It has an immobilizer that is considered above-average in effectiveness.
X3s with a factory alarm are rare - hence you can shake yours without any effect.
And the "panic button" is just a dedicated unlock for the hatch/tailgate.
Visual (lights) notification of locking/unlocking. No beep unless you have a BMW or aftermarket alarm. (I find the mechanical noise of the locks loud enough on its own.)

5. Unfortunately yes, unless you buy their software costing quite a few hundred $$$.
If you bought from a BMW dealer they should do it gratis, especailly in view of No. 3.
Othewrwise, figure about $100.

UPDATE Re. Szee1's point about the flashing clown nose - this too is normally activated under key programming
Potential thieves can never tell whether there is a full alarm system or just the immobilizer, so they move on.

Last edited by Supercourse; 12-01-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I do not have the alarm but my "clown nose" flashes when I lock the car. I really like that feature and as pointed out sociopaths who are passing by see the blink and hopefully continue on to a less obvious car.