Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Convertible
Confounding Harmon Kardon Stereo malfunctions

Again, 2007 Mini Convert with nearly all options etc supercharger won in a contest.

Anyway, now all i get is AM radio broadcasts out of the top level stereo, and there is a CD stuck in it. None of the buttons work (but are not sticky or hard to move).

After repeatedly hitting 'eject', the CD came out, then everything worked normally. Hooray, patience paid off and i thought it was just a wonky CD and the problem was solved. Put the cd back in and out and everything was normal.

Now, again, I'm back to the same situation. Different CD stuck in, no buttons work, only AM radio, but this time, no amount of hitting eject will work. The mode button, source button, AM button, FM button, pre set buttons...none of them do anything. It's gone into some kind of "freeze" mode. I can turn it on and off, adjust the volume, and tune the radio via the steering wheel controls.

Is there some "magic" combo of buttons to do a master reset on the stereo? I really don't think any liquid shorted or gummed anything up (since it straightened up and acted fine for awhile, then went back. Shorted out circuits either work or they don't).

I STRONGLY know that if I could get the CD out, all would be normal (with the radio anyway).

I don't see a manual release hole to force out the CD.

I'm disappointed in the electronics in this car. The stereo was a very expensive option, the HVAC units work with their own brain, the right rear window often binds and has to be "helped" down, the leather is already showing wear at only 20+K MILES! I also have a '95 Lincoln Mark VIII, and that car shows no wear at 50K miles. I am not hard on my cars and keep them well maintained. I assumed the Euro build quality of the Mini would be superior, and the plastics appear to be, but everything else...eh, not so much.

Basically...anyone have a good way to reset this stereo without dismantling the dash? I hesitate to take it to the dealer as EVERYTHING I've had them do so far they've blamed on me, including a burnt out fog light. (?)

I am not motivated to buy another Mini or move up to a BMW. In fact, I am motivated to get this car ready in Spring for sale and buy something more reliable. But i don't want to spend all winter listening to AM radio with no presets.

Thanks pals!
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the car and your dealer. Try taking the car to a different MINI dealer. Sounds to me like your car needs a new head unit but I'm far from an expert on this.

You might want to try searching first and then asking your question here --> http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...-interior-ice/

Quote:
I assumed the Euro build quality of the Mini would be superior, and the plastics appear to be, but everything else...eh, not so much....
I am not motivated to buy another Mini or move up to a BMW.
MINIs, especially first generation MINIs like yours, are not BMWs.

First generation MINIs have all sorts of quirks and problems. The car started life as a Rover design and then BMW came in and made changes. The engine was a product of a joint venture between Rover and Chrysler and was built by Chrysler in Brazil.

2nd gen cars are more reliable and have a better build quality. The car is a BMW design and the engines are built in a BMW plant.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-03-2009 at 01:33 AM.