Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Unhappy Post your stories of things told to you by the dealer or BMWUSA that were flat wrong

Post examples of what you were told by either the dealer or BMWUSA that was flat out wrong.

In my case, I sent an inquiry to BMWUSA to see if I would still get the voice command functionality if I didn't opt for Navigation (i.e. to use with standard idrive functions). This is what they replied back...

"I believe there is confusion regarding the capabilities of our iDrive system. For our current models, iDrive is not available unless ordering the navigation option specifically, or by selecting a package that includes our navigation system. I apologize for any disappointment that may cause. I suggest speaking directly with your local BMW center for any questions you may have regarding our vehicles. The sales team is continuously trained on our vehicle options and would be in the best position to assist you further"

Last edited by Housh; 12-03-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i M Sport
I can't help you, but I am dismayed by some of the issues I'm reading about. Very different from my experience with BMWNA when I owned both my '01 330i and my '02 530i. I am second-guessing my decision to return to the fold!

I ordered a 2010 X5 3.0 for my wife last week and have already had an issue-delayed production due to top-camera availability with Tech Package. An official bulletin on this was out on 11/23, but when I ordered on 11/25, my CA didn't mention a thing. It wasn't until two days later that he emailed me (having already taken a $1000 deposit) to say my car was now scheduled for Week 1 Production. Probably won't get the car until February when he specifically told me to order on 11/25 to ensure arrival by 12/31. I'm not saying this was intentionally misleading, but certainly less than thorough.

To your point, these reps obviously don't know their product. Just amazing that a brand with such a loyal & vocal following is dropping the ball in such an important area. When you buy or lease a $50-$70K vehicle, you expect solid support!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter330i View Post
I can't help you, but I am dismayed by some of the issues I'm reading about. Very different from my experience with BMWNA when I owned both my '01 330i and my '02 530i. I am second-guessing my decision to return to the fold!

I ordered a 2010 X5 3.0 for my wife last week and have already had an issue-delayed production due to top-camera availability with Tech Package. An official bulletin on this was out on 11/23, but when I ordered on 11/25, my CA didn't mention a thing. It wasn't until two days later that he emailed me (having already taken a $1000 deposit) to say my car was now scheduled for Week 1 Production. Probably won't get the car until February when he specifically told me to order on 11/25 to ensure arrival by 12/31. I'm not saying this was intentionally misleading, but certainly less than thorough.

To your point, these reps obviously don't know their product. Just amazing that a brand with such a loyal & vocal following is dropping the ball in such an important area. When you buy or lease a $50-$70K vehicle, you expect solid support!
I've gone back and forth on this with my dealer and BMW Canada. I was initially told by the dealer that the order I placed, couldn't be filled with the Tech package, as a memo had been sent out that stated it was no longer available. I was told a few days later that the memo had been written incorrectly, and that the Tech package (ie. Top view camera) was not available, only on the 3.0.

I had, at the same time, contacted BMW Canada for clarification and they had a slightly conflicting story. They stated that there was an availability issue (due to the supplier not being able to keep up with demand) and that there could be a possibility that I still may not get the camera.

In theory, they could both be correct. If there is a shortage of cameras, BMW could have arbitrarily decided that they would delete them from the 3.0 and still offer them on the 35d's and 4.8's.

The day after the conversation with BMW Canada, my sales guy called to inform me that the order had been confirmed and they had moved my production up to mid-December by modifying an already existing order. I guess I'll see when it finally shows up at the end of January.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i M Sport
Hope that's not the case re. Tech being deleted from just the 3.0! Will call my CA for an update today. Seems like another example of BMW's communication deficiencies.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 35d
Thumbs down

Incompitence and lack of product knoweledge and information have been MAJOR issues for me since shortly after I first ordered my X5 diesel ( which I have since cancelled due to BMW's inability to give me a straight answer as to why the production date kept getting pushed back - three times, with still no confirmed build date ).

BMW NA customer service ( as well as the dealership ) people were completely clueless re: the two major questions that I had for them - the first being why the tax credit on the diesel changed from $1800 when I placed the order to $900 the following week and also what was going on with production dates. In both cases, I was told by BMW NA reps. that I would get a call- back YEAH, RIGHT! I'm still waiting...

I've been sounding off about this stuff for the last few weeks because I've been so disgusted about the " lack of training". I'm particularly dissapointed about all of this because I love BMW vehicles. I'm just amazed at the stupidity that I've encountered at all levels of BMW's management.

The most recent episode of " lack of knoweledge " was when I was at the dealership taking delivery of my X5 3.0 ( because I got sick of hearing " I don't know" with regard to production of my diesel ) and I asked my salesperson how to activate the top view cameras. He said there was no such thing. I told him to feel for the lens underneath the outside rearview mirror housing. He said " no, that's probably for some lane departure thing ", I said " BMW offers lane departure? " He said " yeah, but I think only in Europe ". Right after he said that I pressed a button that I noticed just above the center console and LO AND BEHOLD THE TOP VIEW CAMERAS TURNED ON. He was literally stunned and speechless. He had absoloutely no idea that the X5 tech package included this.

Product knoweledge? What kind of training do these people get? HELLO BMW OF NORTH AMERICA - DO YOU READ THESE BLOGS? DO YOU HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOUR COMPANY?

Last edited by beantowncruiser; 12-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535i, 10 X5d, 13 AH5
I ordered my x5d on 11-28 and got the production # on 11-31, my CA told me it will arrive within 10 weeks. It means sometime around Feb. After I read all threads about the production delay, I won't expect too much. just keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Post examples of what you were told by either the dealer or BMWUSA that was flat out wrong.
This could turn into hundreds of posts....

The technical knowledge by BMW NA and dealerships is pretty poor. Indeed, the customer service staff almost moronic mantra of "your local BMW Center is the best source for this information".

The all really simply want to minimize the time they spend on your questions, and maximize profit...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
My personal view is that this is not just limited to BMW either. Virtually across the board I have been appalled by the lack of product knowledge in the sales staffs. Only when you get in the back shop area do you ever find anyone who really knows what is in the car and what it does. There are exceptions, and that is what is so sad, they are exceptions.