Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Car accident and lease question

Hi everybody.

I live in Canada. I'm currently leasing an X3 and i've got 6 months left on the lease. I was recently involved in an accident and given the damage that was sustained, it may look like a complete write off.

My questions is: Am I still responsible for the 6 remaining monthly lease payments? Does this count as an early termination of the lease? Will I get penalized?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Not really an X3-specific issue, of course, but here is some Canadian content on that topic:

http://www.redfla******.com/forums/l...en-off-553439/

Sounds to me like the insurance company pays out a bit more to the leasing company than they would have made had you been able to return the vehicle.

And if you had some sort of "gap" or "replacement cost" coverage, you could also come out ahead.

Either way, early termination penalty does not seem to apply in your case.

Even if it is not written off, it would appear that being on a lease is a definite advantage in the event of major accident repairs -
you just walk away from it at lease end rather than owing a greatly depreciated vehicle.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
It happend to me, with VW credit Canada, and my insurance paid the 8 months lease payments that was left and the residual to VW credit.

No penality, and the lease was clear, and bought a new vehicule.