Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Thumbs up Techron Concentrate Plus is fixing my fuel gauge

my 2001 530i with 110k miles had a 1/8 low indication with fillups during the summer. I have been adding Techron since, and it reads to the full line now. Whew!!

by the way I use BP Ultimate almost exclusively, with occasional V-Power fillups.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars
I don't understand why they would be related, but who cares ... it's working now!

Bill
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I don't understand why they would be related, but who cares ... it's working now!

Bill
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx

Read the first paragraph .
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 850Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
Great info there, didn't know it could help with that! I just forwarded the link to a friend that has a similar issue with his '68 Toro.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525I
thanks for the info, might try it on next long trip.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
You take some perfectly good gasoline (mostly composed of benzene ring compounds) and you remove perfectly good gas to replace what you took with a family of polyether amine compounds ... and that's a good thing??????

The potentially additional detergent action isn't worth the loss of burnable benzene, in my humble opinion.

As for fixing the fuel gauge, I have some miracle oil in my refrigerator I'd love to sell ya ... just gimme a chance to whip something up ad hoc for ya!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	techron.jpg
Views:	9655
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	210798  
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
You're incorrectly assuming that the gasoline is pure gasoline. The issue is that gasoline is polluted at any stage during its journey, and 300mL of fuel isn't a difference I worry about.

Detergent additives can mean the difference between carbonization and... slowed carbonization. Even with "good" US gas, carbon build-up on the tops of the pistons eventually will cause pinging that the knock sensors cannot compensate for, due to the poor detergency requirements of US gasoline.

Given that's the only issue that's standing between your engine and 500k miles, discounting the body, electrical, and cooling systems... it's worth the investment to use good gas and detergent additive

However, Mike at one Bimmer Magazine thinks that OVERUSE of Redline SI-1 ruined the injectors on his '05 325Ci, so be careful. He was using it in every tank, while BMW recommends only 1 bottle every 3000 miles.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Last edited by bmw_n00b13; 12-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540iA
This stuff fixed a misfire that I was chasing for a while. I tried to swap plugs, coils and injectors and nothing changed. I even had a compression test done and it was fine. I decided to pour a bottle of this in my tank and by the end of that tank it was running smooth. I haven't had a misfire since...about 5k miles. This stuff works.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You take some perfectly good gasoline (mostly composed of benzene ring compounds) and you remove perfectly good gas to replace what you took with a family of polyether amine compounds ... and that's a good thing??????

The potentially additional detergent action isn't worth the loss of burnable benzene, in my humble opinion.

As for fixing the fuel gauge, I have some miracle oil in my refrigerator I'd love to sell ya ... just gimme a chance to whip something up ad hoc for ya!

WTF are you talking about??? This has got to be one of the most ignorant comments I've seen on here. Are you related to E39BMW???
When you find some pure gasoline available at the pump, I'll buy some of your miracle oil.
Oh, yeah, most long-chain miracle oils don't do so well in the fridge; they end up with a consistency like mayonaise and tend to gum up injectors.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02540ico View Post
Oh, yeah, most long-chain miracle oils don't do so well in the fridge; they end up with a consistency like mayonaise.
I think that's the point
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
I think that's the point
Yes. Thank you for understanding. My main point was that adding PEA is basically adding "something" at the expense of "fuel"; and that adding expensive detergent when there is already sufficient detergent is tantamount to pouring designer detergent into our daily wash load that already has enough detergent in the vain belief that the soiled socks and underwear will somehow end up cleaner if we just replace the water with more and more detergent.

Adding well-branded detergent into the washload might feel good but, at some point it isn't going to make the clothes any cleaner. The water has a job to do just as automotive fuel does and replacing one with the other has a breaking point where the cost no longer provides a benefit.

I do realize the Techron talking-car advertisements play up on the emotion of the car feeling good about adding this expensive snake oil (hence us feeling good about treating our car right) ... but I'm also pointing out that the advertisers forget to mention negative aspects of ad hoc fuel blend modifications.

Regarding composition, I realize there is no single chemical named "gasoline" just like there's no one chemical named "detergent" or "fuel". A typical gallon of gasoline contains over 500 hydrocarbon compounds, no one batch being the same as another. The burnable fuel in our tank is mostly comprised of saturated hydrocarbons (straight-chain, branched, and cyclic alkanes) with a sizable component (as high as 30-40%) of unsaturated hydrocarbons (mostly aromatics such as benzene and toluene).

The additives we're discussing are already in the fuel in small percentages (e.g., existing polyether amines and polybutene succinimides daily prevent fuel injectors from being clogged by the oxidation and polymerisation of the larger unsaturated hydrocarbon components of gasoline).

My main point was by adding designer additives to "perfectly good" gasoline (i.e., gasoline that already has sufficient additives), adds little value (IMHO), and, furthermore, results in less "energy" content in that particular 19-gallon tank of special home-brew ad-hoc-blend "fuel" (because we're replacing "fuel" with something that is not intended to be fuel).

I realize it may only be 300ml in one tank a year, but, that's an expensive bottle of 300ml of replacement fuel - so it sure better do something; and if it actually does something, why not add it to EVERY tank of fuel - heck - if it's really necessary, why not add it to the gasoline formulation at the refinery! (circuitous argument intended).

Folks are certainly welcome to disagree with my point as I learn from the dialog (adding value in the process)!

To be honest, I've always been interested in "Techron(r)" and even wrote, long ago, to the manufacturer asking (in hind sight, slightly sarcastically) if Techron actually did anything (they wrote back a nice letter telling me it was a proprietary secret what it was and what it did and how it did whatever it was that it did).

It is interesting to note in the advertising blurb that the single "unique" benefit of Techron is that somehow, adding an abundance of polyether amines to gasoline that already has sufficient polyether amines miraculously manages to "eliminate faulty fuel gauge readings".

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm never one to believe in snake-oil-in-a-can, and I'm a strong believer in comparing the benefits to the costs (some of which the advertisers conveniently omit); so I'm especially interested in finding out how they construct that fuel-gauge-repair-in-a-can argument logically! I'm even secretly hoping a bottle of the stuff once a year can fix the wiring in my trunk loom!
Bluebee

Last edited by bluebee; 12-06-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Did I hear that you should plan on changing your engine oil shortly after a Techron treatment? The thinking being that some seepage of Techron past the pistons will happen and your oil will be modestly effected by the solvent?
Just wondering....
1986 911 Coupe (track car)
Greater Boston, MA
Old 12-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Yes. Thank you for understanding. My main point was that adding PEA is basically adding "something" at the expense of "fuel"; and that adding expensive detergent when there is already sufficient detergent is tantamount to pouring designer detergent into our daily wash load that already has enough detergent in the vain belief that the soiled socks and underwear will somehow end up cleaner if we just replace the water with more and more detergent.
My main point was by adding designer additives to "perfectly good" gasoline (i.e., gasoline that already has sufficient additives), adds little value (IMHO), and, furthermore, results in less "energy" content in that particular 19-gallon tank of special home-brew ad-hoc-blend "fuel" (because we're replacing "fuel" with something that is not intended to be fuel).
I realize it may only be 300ml in one tank a year, but, that's an expensive bottle of 300ml of replacement fuel - so it sure better do something; and if it actually does something, why not add it to EVERY tank of fuel - heck - if it's really necessary, why not add it to the gasoline formulation at the refinery! (circuitous argument intended).
The main point being that American fuel quality and detergency level requirements (as you noted, detergents are the expensive bit) are well below European requirements. The Nikasil fiasco highlighted that, along with many cases of carbonization in European cars.

I'd like to see the studies that Chevron did, as they claim superiority over the "other guys" due to scientific study... where's the peer-reviewed study?
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Last edited by bmw_n00b13; 12-06-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM

I can see how the use of any type of fuel system cleaner could be a moot point, and a total waste of money, IF high quality, premium grade fuels are always used. If lower grade fuels are used, which have fewer detergent additiives, the use of fuel system additives may be a huge benefit. Also a benefit depending on driving style. All short, city driving may build up deposits that benefit from fuel system cleaners.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:

Adding well-branded detergent into the washload might feel good but, at some point it isn't going to make the clothes any cleaner. The water has a job to do just as automotive fuel does and replacing one with the other has a breaking point where the cost no longer provides a benefit.

Bluebee, If we are using the clothes analogy of detergents, I'd like to offer the following analogy of Techron for some debate: Have you ever had spots of either red wine, motor oil, mustard, ketchup etc on your clothes. What do you usually do in that situation? You reach for a spot cleaner or pre-wash treatment like Wisk, right? Well, I view Techron as a similar product in the realm of carbon treatment.

To me, carbon build up is the equivalent of a stain on clothing in the motor world. However, since the engine is usually sealed up, you can't pour a treatment directly on the intake valves like you would on a clothing stain. Hence you need to pour the Techron concentrate into the gas tank in order for it to remove "carbon stains". While the content of Techron is a trade secret, I can assure it it works on carbon build up. Once, when I was working on my valve covers, I noticed a little bit of carbon build up on a few intake valves. As an experiment, I put a few drops of Techron directly on the carbon stains and saw it immediately began to dissolve the carbon. Though, I do question if a 1/128 ratio Techron to gas really works. I'll assume Chevron did their research on this.

Now before you go and say, I must use some cheap gas, I typically fill up with Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, or BP Amoco 92/93 octane depending on what's available. You would think there is enough detergents these brands of gasoline in them to prevent carbon as that is what "supposedly" differentiates one gasoline from another. Remember, gasoline typically comes from the same refineries and what differentiates one brand of gasoline is the quality and quantity of additives. At least this is what the industry claims.

Since you have written a few long posts about motor oils, it is the same principle, most motor oils start out the same as esther or POA base oil, what differentiates one from the other is the viscosity inhibitors, emulsifiers or detergents be it synthetic or dino. However, because dino oil typically has a lower flash point and more impurities in its base oil over synthetics you would typically get more varnish in the engine with dino unless there are higher levels of detergent additives in one brand. Because synthetics typically have a higher flash point and supposedly the same or more detergents and almost no impurities on true synthetics like group iv or v, the detergents added can do a better job at cleaning varnish. Especially if you are paying more for synthetics, at least, one would think. The detergents in synthetics tend to do a better job since a higher flash point would be less varnish from impurities and the burning off of combustion by-products.

But back to the Techron; while I am one to shy away from "snake oils", I don't consider Techron a snake oil. If you wanted you accomplish the same as Techron, you could dismantle your engine and fuel system and spray something like Gum-out carburetor or fuel injector cleaner directly on the carbon stains and it would be "quicker" excluding time to dismantle. However, that is not convenient. It is way more convenient to open your fuel filler and add a bottle of Techron, right. While I agree with your statement that when washing your clothes, there is a diminishing return for water/detergent ratio for cleaner clothes, the same holds true for Techron, that's why the bottle says 12oz bottle per 12 gals of gas and 20oz bottle per 20 gals. Basically a 1oz to 1 gal ratio or 1/128. I agree that adding more is the Techron and less fuel is like adding more Tide and less water and not going to get clothes or engine cleaner. But I think unless rinsed out completely, excess detergent or Techron MAY possibly prevent future stains from being embedded on fabric or intakes, assuming it doesn't damage other things. Think dissolving fabric or ruining catalytic converters. That's why there is a ratio and one the FAQ on the website specifically says adding more doesn't get things cleaner.

Quote:
The additives we're discussing are already in the fuel in small percentages (e.g., existing polyether amines and polybutene succinimides daily prevent fuel injectors from being clogged by the oxidation and polymerisation of the larger unsaturated hydrocarbon components of gasoline).

While we might agree that gasoline at the refinery is the same, it is ultimately different when in your gas tank as I pointed out about branded gasoline having different additives and detergents, seasonal additives like ethanol for the winter. Logically, one would think no names having less additives than name brands. Depending on the view, it can have more because less money needed for advertising a name brand and more towards additives, assuming it doesn't get adulterated somewhere along the supply chain. Fuel in your tank is far from pure with adulteration at unscrupulous gas stations. Let's no forget water accumulation from condensation in your tank. For me, Techron is convenient way for me to ensure my engine is clean.

Quote:

Is it expensive? Well, Costco from time to time has (2) 20oz bottles for $7, while my local Autozone has it free after rebate from time to time. I guess if you calculate $7 for 40oz, that works out to $9/gal compared to gasoline at $3/gal. That's expensive but so is true synthetic oil and this cost to me is far less than the time involved to dismantle parts to "spot treat". Besides, one treatment ever 6k miles (double what's recommended on the bottle) is fine by me.

Quote:
Folks are certainly welcome to disagree with my point as I learn from the dialog (adding value in the process)!
While I'm sure there are holes in my theory,without laboratory analysis, it's another one of those things some enthusiasts on this forum do to pamper our beloved E39. While I choose, Techron, others use things like Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery oil, Lucas etc. I consider those snake oils but mainly because I personally have not tried it and seen immediate results like I have with Techron during my valve cover project. If, in this case, the fuel sender is clogged by some form of carbon, it might be plausible that it does work. I do see BMW, Audi and VW selling variations of Techron in a branded bottle, but I have never seen Sea Foam, Marvel or Lucas rebranded at the dealers. While not conclusive, that should be a testament to its effectiveness.

Last edited by dvsgene; 12-06-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM

man, you guys are long-winded! ...did you read my post? I have always used the best 93 octane fuels and I still had the sensor errors from the in tank units. This Techron does what they say it does.
Not to mention BMW confirms in a TSB that the silver parts build up with sulfur over time, and this product which they actually rebrand and sell at dealerships also helps prevent future issues / coating of the susceptible parts.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B130506g.htm

"Regular use of BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help address carbon deposits related symptoms listed above. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored power, performance and fuel efficiency, a smoother idle running, lower emissions, and reduced octane requirement.

BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus uses polyether amine TECHRONŽ based technology developed and patented by Chevron. BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus has proven to clean up deposits in fuel injectors, ports & intake valves and reduces the harmful effects of combustion chamber deposits. It helps restore performance lost due to deposit build-up.

Chevron and BMW have run an extensive "no harm" tests with polyether amine technology. When used as directed, it will not harm catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, or any other mechanical components of the engine, or fuel delivery system.

The effectiveness of the additive depends on its presence in the gasoline in large concentrations for short periods of time. One treatment is usually sufficient, but a second treatment (one 20 oz bottle per each, consecutive full tank of gas) may give additional benefits. To keep your fuel intake system clean, we recommend usage at every 3000 miles.

Additionally, vehicle's fuel sending units equipped with silver plated resistor card/contacts are especially vulnerable to attacks by elemental sulfur and/or hydrogen sulfide found in fuels. Adding BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus immediately upon noticing erratic fuel gauge behavior may, in many cases, restore proper performance due to the additive's ability to remove the harmful sulfur compounds from the sending unit's contact surface. Additionally, BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help protect the fuel gauge from future malfunctioning by coating all metal surfaces of the fuel system."
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
man, you guys are long-winded! ...did you read my post? I have always used the best 93 octane fuels and I still had the sensor errors from the in tank units. This Techron does what they say it does.
Did you read my post as well? One of my points is I use 92/93 octane as well but along the supply chain, it can get adulterated by gas stations who don't get checked by local authorities regularly. Even when not adulterated, water and impurities get introduced while sitting in your gas tank. Even if you have a clean fuel system, carbon is a by product of burning fuel even more so, depending on driving habits.

330indy, I am in no way disagreeing with you, but if you have ever happened across any of Bluebees post, she prefers details to substantiate claims. Your two liner in the very first post leaves alot of details out which only took it one step further with your BMW TIS link.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Freude am Fahren

Good info on the Techron-BMW rebranding. It's been suggested before but until now I haven't seen anything to substantiate the claim.

I'm fairly certain that the last tank of shell V-power I bought was Shell 87. Fuel mileage went from 23mpg to 21mpg. It could just be the winter formula, too. (I'm trying V-power, as a change from Sunoco, so far not so good.)
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Did you read my post as well? One of my points is I use 92/93 octane as well but along the supply chain, it can get adulterated by gas stations who don't get checked by local authorities regularly. Even when not adulterated, water and impurities get introduced while sitting in your gas tank. Even if you have a clean fuel system, carbon is a by product of burning fuel even more so, depending on driving habits.

330indy, I am in no way disagreeing with you, but if you have ever happened across any of Bluebees post, she prefers details to substantiate claims. Your two liner in the very first post leaves alot of details out which only took it one step further with your BMW TIS link.
Fair enough. And please take no offense: I guess I tire of forums loaded with essays, theory upon theory, and most forums I read are full of speculative blather. I do sort through it for the occasional nugget of fact.
The reason I posted this thread is/was ... I just wanted to offer up some real experience with my ride. And, I followed the suggestion in the TSB.... upon first noticing the gauge issues I reacted, added the 20 oz. with multiple successive fillups, and it has paid off. Not to mention the car is activating DSC in the dry. (It is running like a beast).
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Fair enough. And please take no offense: I guess I tire of forums loaded with essays, theory upon theory, and most forums I read are full of speculative blather. I do sort through it for the occasional nugget of fact.
The reason I posted this thread is/was ... I just wanted to offer up some real experience with my ride. And, I followed the suggestion in the TSB.... upon first noticing the gauge issues I reacted, added the 20 oz. with multiple successive fillups, and it has paid off. Not to mention the car is activating DSC in the dry. (It is running like a beast).

330indy, no offense take. Personally, I don't see a big issue with long winded essays if there are a few tidbits of fact to discern from it. After all, we don't learn anything from one liners do we? In fact, if we didn't have long winded write-ups, we wouldn't have these wonderful DIY posting from some members. Obviously, there needs to be a balance between one liners and long winded essays. Finding a balance is what this forum is about.

Good to hear that your problem was solved with a few bottles of Techron and not a $200 sender. Also, that the Beast is back in action.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Soap for gas

I learned a lot from this thread as my initial skepticism about miracles-in-a-can (e.g., fixing fuel gauge sending units) was on high alert, as always.

As I noted, when the slew of Techron ads first came out, the incessant and immensely expensive marketing campaign provided absolutely no details or references and played solely on EMOTIONS (i.e., feelings of the car) and didn't say a darn thing about what the PEA gasoline additive actually did other than it was "technology you can trust!".

Given my gas-is-gas-unless-proven-otherwise mentality, I had written to the manufacturer asking for details, receiving only the polite "we can't tell you because it's a secret" letter. I concluded Techron was nothing more than a hugely successful marketing ploy playing on the gullible peoples' wanna-do-good emotions.

Since then, Chevron/Texaco has come out with the Techron concentrate which is apparently the same PEA stuff used in the gasoline additive except at a 10x concentration.

The MDS (material data sheet) apparently lists Techron contents as common solvents, most of which (if not all) are already in gasolines. Techron and Techron concentrate appears to be (almost exactly) the same fluid, except in 10x differences in concentration. Both appear to be 68% your basic petroleum-based solvent (i.e., methyl cyclohexane, aka naptha; Toluene, three different isomers of xylene, and ethyl benzene) ... and 32% polyether amines, which is a detergent for use in non-aqueous systems.

It's soap for gas ... no doubt ... but does it actually work on fuel sending units?

A realistic look at the MARKETING shows they simply can't say anything factual about the stuff ... e.g., "unbeatable" means nothing but implies everyone else does it the same; "improved performance" is similarly meaningless as it means nothing without the comparison to what; likewise with "Provides Protection" and "unsurpassed", all meaningless adjectives.

When even the marketing guys can't actually say anything ... my suspicions arouse ...

Does Techron (32% polyether amine + 58% c7-to-c10 standard hydrocarbons) actually do anything that gasoline doesn't already do?

Only a statistically valid single or double blind study can say for sure. And I can't find any. I would be glad to read a scientific study if anyone can find one and list a reference to it here!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevron.jpg
Views:	7338
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	211173   Click image for larger version

Name:	marketing.jpg
Views:	7839
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	211174   Click image for larger version

Name:	more_marketing.jpg
Views:	8317
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	211175  

Last edited by bluebee; 12-09-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Another interesting tidbit of info I learned recently related to the issue of branded gas is not all name brand gas is considered Top Tier by BMW. Unless Mobil, Exxon, BP Amoco or Hess falls under one of these retailers, it doesn't meet BMW's Top tier. Almost like the LL rating on oils:

http://www.toptiergas.com

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Freude am Fahren

For the Canadians out there, the list is awfully short.
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

So the better follow up question about this supposed "snake oil " remedy: It is more expensive to put a $3.50 bottle from Costo or Free after Rebate Techron or fill up on gas from Non-Top Tier Gasoline (including Costco Gas unless they buy from a Top Tier, which I doubt) spending $45+ on a fill up every week on gasoline that doesn't have enough detergents to meet BMW's Top Tier detergent requirement?! You decide....
Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM

Top Tier or other premium gas alone doesn't cut it.

After 110k miles I still had to treat my fuel system to the Techron remedy, which works.
But now I will put the Techron in my other Bimmers occasionally to prevent this fuel gauge issue.

I am a believer, based on experience