Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Question X5 3.0i, good buy?

before i got my E38, i had sort of looked at the X5. today i had seen an online add for a 2002 X5 3.0i, has about 86000 miles. i went to test drive it today, just to see how they drive and to get the feel for one. it started and ran well. only thing i noticed was the steering was very heavy, i was told "this is a BMW thing". yeah right. i wonder if that would be something to worry about. and how reliable are they? i would think they are pretty reliable. my E38 has been so far.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
It's just my opinion, but frankly I would never by a BMW with an automatic transmission that had 86,000 miles on it. Too many of them fail in the 100,000 mile or less range.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Also, just my opinion, but I wouldn't get anywhere near that. My father had one and it was in the shop 20 times in 18 months. It was hands down the worst vehicle that he owned. It wasn't until he threatened legal action (we don't have lemon laws in Canada) that BMW Canada worked out a deal to replace it.

His subsequent X5 and current X6 have been much, much better.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Its not just BMW's that fail around 100K either. That seems to be a "benchmark" for A/T life, although obviously some go further and some fail earlier. With that many miles it should be a fairly low price. Putting aside around $4K for repairs would not be a bad idea either.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Being AWD, the X5 would have a lot more things prone to fail than your E38. Not sure what type of responses you're trying to get for the "heavy steering" as it would feel different for everyone. For me, the X5's steering is relatively heavier than other cars that I've driven, but that's the way I like it. Agreed with UncleJ on the A/T issue.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Its not just BMW's that fail around 100K either. That seems to be a "benchmark" for A/T life, although obviously some go further and some fail earlier. With that many miles it should be a fairly low price. Putting aside around $4K for repairs would not be a bad idea either.
Not in my book do automatic transmissions fail that fast. I got 144,000 miles on my 87 Bronco before transmission failure and then drove it a total of 214,000 before selling it and never had another transmission problem. I am also now at 170,000 miles on my 99 Expedition without a single transmission problem. I do have my transmissions serviced on schedule.

The Expedition will be replaced with a BMW X5 35D which is in production now. I hope the transmission lasts as well as the Fords have.

Chuck
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGr View Post
Not in my book do automatic transmissions fail that fast. I got 144,000 miles on my 87 Bronco before transmission failure and then drove it a total of 214,000 before selling it and never had another transmission problem. I am also now at 170,000 miles on my 99 Expedition without a single transmission problem. I do have my transmissions serviced on schedule.

The Expedition will be replaced with a BMW X5 35D which is in production now. I hope the transmission lasts as well as the Fords have.

Chuck
The problem is that BMW have no such service scheduled for the transmission. It is sealed with its "lifetime" fluid with no dipstick and the only way to check fluid level is to peek at the fill plug.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
The problem is that BMW have no such service scheduled for the transmission. It is sealed with its "lifetime" fluid with no dipstick and the only way to check fluid level is to peek at the fill plug.
I know that many cars have gone to no recommended automatic transmission service. But the oil still wear out.

You can still service it if you want. You can pull the pan and drain the fluid.

There is also another way that some oil change places use where you disconnect the fluid lines to the radiator and hook it up to a machine that puts in new fluid as the old fluid comes out. I have used that before and it works well.

I always change transmission fluid at 70,000 miles or less and will do it with my BMW also.

Chuck
Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
I bought my 2005 X5 3.0i new. I have had a number of component failures and all but one (the fan clutch just recently) were covered under warranty. I hope not to have any more problems, but if so, I will not go to a dealer. They are much too expensive. I will either repair it myself or find a good independent for the big jobs.

The aggravation drove me close to trading it a couple of times, but nothing else drives like this car. I bought my wife an Acura- a very nice, competent car and completely trouble free. I never drive it, it does nothing for me.

My two previous BMW's were great cars and virtually trouble free. So this one has been a little disappointing from the reliability standpoint.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535iGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywintn View Post
I bought my 2005 X5 3.0i new. I have had a number of component failures and all but one (the fan clutch just recently) were covered under warranty. I hope not to have any more problems, but if so, I will not go to a dealer. They are much too expensive. I will either repair it myself or find a good independent for the big jobs.

The aggravation drove me close to trading it a couple of times, but nothing else drives like this car. I bought my wife an Acura- a very nice, c flaliures ompetent car and completely trouble free. I never drive it, it does nothing for me.

My two previous BMW's were great cars and virtually trouble free. So this one has been a little disappointing from the reliability standpoint.
We also have a 2005 BMW X5 3.0i and it has had no major failures (Knock on Wood). Our car has ~75000 miles. How many miles does your X5 have?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Acuras are legendary for tranny failure.... especially the early MDXs.

I got 205,000 on my original tranny. Full fluid exchanges at 30-40k intervals. (I did it myself, since the factory recommended procedure was drain 4qt (of the 9qts) and refill. I wanted a complete fluid change.

But I guess BMW figured something out because the X5 has "lifetime" fluid....

To the OP. At 86k miles it is likely fatally damaged already. IMHO

A
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328is, x5 4.6is, SL500
The service manual for my 2002 4.6 says......

"- Automatic Transmission Service- Change ATF every 100,000 miles."

Mine is approaching that milestone, and still driver like new. I have a 1997 328is with auto, 152k, and a 2003 SL500 Mercedes. Maybe I am the rarity, but I've never had a tranny fail.

I do agree, however, that there is no such thing as a tranny that has fluid that is good for life. I don't reccommend a complete tranny flush for a tranny with over 100k. I do reccommend a fresh filter and a refill every 50k miles.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
is the 4.4 version of the X5 similar in running gear as a range rover HSE?

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Come on now, many a properly maintained automatic last much, much, longer. I've have experience with at least 6 that have bested the 200,000 mile mark. Heck the one in my current minivan is running strong at 160,000 right now. They just need routine maintenace like anything else.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
My information regarding transmissions used with the X5 3.0 is as follows. I quote: "After doing some research I have found from an ironclad reliable source that the transmission in the X5, the ZF 5HP24, has a known issue with early metal fatigue failure of the drum assembly. When this happens the clutches get fouled leading to a quick failure of the transmission. Since August of 2007, ZF has redesigned the drum assembly because of an UNUSUALLY HIGH NUMBER OF FAILURES with the original design. "