Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
ddschmalz ddschmalz is offline
Registered User
Location: Carrollton, TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Found correct 94R battery at Walmart

I know people have been using the Autozone 49-DL battery, but I found that my local Walmart had the Everstart MAXX 94R in stock for $75.00. When I my battery died yesterday, I went to the Autozone just a couple blocks from my house. Their computer showed the 94R as the only battery, but as we all know they don't ever have them. I asked for the 49-DL, and and was quoted $91.99 for it, but they didn't have that, either. I was on my way to another Autozone to get a 49-DL when I passed a Walmart, and decided to check. To my surprise, they now carry the Everstart Maxx in 94R for $75.00, and they had three of them with a manufacture date of 11-09. Exact same dimensions as the BMW battery (61-21-8-381-749), including the folding handles on the top and the vent hole in the same location, so no need to remove the white block, use any vent hose adapter, or put anything under the hold-down plate. It is 765 CCA with 3 yr/8 yr warranty.

Last edited by ddschmalz; 12-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschmalz View Post
I know people have been using the Autozone 49-DL battery, but I found that my local Walmart had the Everstart MAXX 94R in stock for $75.00. When I my battery died yesterday, I went to the Autozone just a couple blocks from my house. Their computer showed the 94R as the only battery, but as we all know they don't ever have them. I asked for the 49-DL, and and was quoted $91.99 for it, but they didn't have that, either. I was on my way to another Autozone to get a 49-DL when I passed a Walmart, and decided to check. To my surprise, they now carry the Everstart Maxx in 94R for $75.00, and they had three of them with a manufacture date of 11-09. Exact same dimensions as the BMW battery (61-21-8-381-749), including the folding handles on the top and the vent hole in the same location, so no need to remove the white block, use any vent hose adapter, or put anything under the hold-down plate. It is 765 CCA with 3 yr/8 yr warranty.
Thats some good info. I have to check if that is the same size as the battery I need for my convertible. I believe the autozone # is 94dlg. If it is you just saved me some money.Autozone wants $139 for it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Gryphon's Avatar
Gryphon Gryphon is online now
I brew life
Location: Mt. Holly, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,580
Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Thats some good info. I have to check if that is the same size as the battery I need for my convertible. I believe the autozone # is 94dlg. If it is you just saved me some money.Autozone wants $139 for it.
Verts are different, I can't remember the size off the top of my head. But it's a different size than the sedans and coupes.
__________________
Arthur John
Born 02-24-11

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
ddschmalz ddschmalz is offline
Registered User
Location: Carrollton, TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Verts are different, I can't remember the size off the top of my head. But it's a different size than the sedans and coupes.
I'm just going from memory, but when I was looking around for the battery info for my sedan, I think I saw that the convertible uses a 92R. If so, I believe it is the same length and width as the 94R but is not as tall. When I was in Walmart, the batteries were on the shelves in numerical sequence, and the battery next to the 94R was also $75.00, but I can't remember whether it was a 92 or a 91.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
slyfocks slyfocks is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Great Northeast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 371
Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Verts are different, I can't remember the size off the top of my head. But it's a different size than the sedans and coupes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschmalz View Post
I'm just going from memory, but when I was looking around for the battery info for my sedan, I think I saw that the convertible uses a 92R. If so, I believe it is the same length and width as the 94R but is not as tall. When I was in Walmart, the batteries were on the shelves in numerical sequence, and the battery next to the 94R was also $75.00, but I can't remember whether it was a 92 or a 91.
I believe the verts utilize the same type 94 as standard OEM. It is just that the mounting is different so they cannot take the type 49 as an alternate as the coupes and sedans are able to do. (not sure about touring or compact)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,621
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschmalz View Post
I know people have been using the Autozone 49-DL battery, but I found that my local Walmart had the Everstart MAXX 94R in stock for $75.00. When I my battery died yesterday, I went to the Autozone just a couple blocks from my house. Their computer showed the 94R as the only battery, but as we all know they don't ever have them. I asked for the 49-DL, and and was quoted $91.99 for it, but they didn't have that, either. I was on my way to another Autozone to get a 49-DL when I passed a Walmart, and decided to check. To my surprise, they now carry the Everstart Maxx in 94R for $75.00, and they had three of them with a manufacture date of 11-09. Exact same dimensions as the BMW battery (61-21-8-381-749), including the folding handles on the top and the vent hole in the same location, so no need to remove the white block, use any vent hose adapter, or put anything under the hold-down plate. It is 765 CCA with 3 yr/8 yr warranty.
Confirmed. Stopped by my local Walmart today and saw this thing. They also have 3 in stock. $75 as advertised.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschmalz View Post
I know people have been using the Autozone 49-DL battery, but I found that my local Walmart had the Everstart MAXX 94R in stock for $75.00. When I my battery died yesterday, I went to the Autozone just a couple blocks from my house. Their computer showed the 94R as the only battery, but as we all know they don't ever have them. I asked for the 49-DL, and and was quoted $91.99 for it, but they didn't have that, either. I was on my way to another Autozone to get a 49-DL when I passed a Walmart, and decided to check. To my surprise, they now carry the Everstart Maxx in 94R for $75.00, and they had three of them with a manufacture date of 11-09. Exact same dimensions as the BMW battery (61-21-8-381-749), including the folding handles on the top and the vent hole in the same location, so no need to remove the white block, use any vent hose adapter, or put anything under the hold-down plate. It is 765 CCA with 3 yr/8 yr warranty.
Thanks. I just bought a 2000 323i and it needs a battery. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
mikevaquez's Avatar
mikevaquez mikevaquez is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Windy City
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 523
Send a message via Yahoo to mikevaquez
Mein Auto: BMW 325ci
I was planning on changing the battery this summer, but with what I just read, I might hit my local walmart. Thanks for the update.
__________________
Dynavin
Angel Eyes
5000k Fog Lights
Hard Wired Escort 9500ix
2 twelve inch Orions
Diamond Audio Componets(Front)
JL Audio Components(Rear)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
mrmaico's Avatar
mrmaico mrmaico is offline
BMW driver/rider
Location: ND
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Just checked my local WM, all they had was the 94RN which I am guessing means non-vented cuz there was no vent tube nipple on it. Nice to know though that they can at least order one at a good price.

Thanks for the info.....

Barry
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Mark@EAC Mark@EAC is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: NW Indiana USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,563
Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
will have to remember this, I am always recommending the autozone 49dl to folks who need a new batt.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Mark in TX's Avatar
Mark in TX Mark in TX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: Two E30s and a ZHP sedan
Wal Mart 94R too tall for 330i

I was at Wal Mart 2 days ago and can confirm their Maxx 94R is too tall for the battery compartment of the 330 sedan. The other dimensions are fine, the white block does not need to be moved. But the securing bracket over the top will not go back into place due to the height of the battery.

If any of you know of an alternate battery size that will fit the 330 sedan, please advise...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 AM
ddschmalz ddschmalz is offline
Registered User
Location: Carrollton, TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
I installed the Walmart 94R battery in my 2001 325i using the original bracket over the battery with no problems. Before installation, I compared the new battery with the original BMW battery, part no 61-21-8-381-749, and found all of the dimensions were exactly the same. My hold-down bracket is a brass-colored bar that bolts on, below which is a round plate held in place with a bolt that can be used to adjust the distance between the brass-colored bar and the plate so that the plate meets the top of the battery. I did not have to adjust this distance at all to install the new battery. Was the hold-down on the 330i different, or was there a change for models after 2001?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
airboy86 airboy86 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dublin, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to airboy86
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP, 6spd
any opinions on the quality of the walmart batt? wont crap out in a few months right?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
3 year replacement warranty, $75 cost. Their stores are everywhere, so it's convenient. It's worth a shot. I bought one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Mark in TX's Avatar
Mark in TX Mark in TX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: Two E30s and a ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschmalz View Post
I installed the Walmart 94R battery in my 2001 325i using the original bracket over the battery with no problems. Before installation, I compared the new battery with the original BMW battery, part no 61-21-8-381-749, and found all of the dimensions were exactly the same. My hold-down bracket is a brass-colored bar that bolts on, below which is a round plate held in place with a bolt that can be used to adjust the distance between the brass-colored bar and the plate so that the plate meets the top of the battery. I did not have to adjust this distance at all to install the new battery. Was the hold-down on the 330i different, or was there a change for models after 2001?
Sounds like our brackets are the same. My issue may be that the bolt described above won't move. The installer at Wal Mart assumed this was intentional on the part of BMW but now I'm thinking if I can get that bolt unstuck from its current "all the way down" position, I'll then be able to change the height of the plate and thereby accommodate the taller battery. I don't know why it won't move, it's all perfectly clean under there (no rust, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
ddschmalz ddschmalz is offline
Registered User
Location: Carrollton, TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Mark, I guess you've hit one big disadvantage of Walmart- they know nothing! I see you're in the Dallas area also. I went to the Walmart in Carrollton at Old Denton Road and the Bush Toll Road, and the guy at the auto counter looked on his computer and told me they didn't have a battery for my car. I pointed out that I saw it on the shelf, and he pulled out a book, looked at for awhile, and said, "Oh yeah, you're right." He offered to install it, but I had removed my old battery and had it in the trunk of my other car because my BMW wouldn't start. We set the two next to each other to confirm everything was the same, and I took it home and installed it myself. I turned the screw about one turn just to take the pressure off before removing the bracket, and turned it back the same amount after the new one was in place. Mine turned reasonably easily using the screw driver in the tool kit on the trunk lid, but the 13mm bolts that held the bracket on were really tight.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
pylt pylt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas & Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 234
Mein Auto: 330i/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboy86 View Post
any opinions on the quality of the walmart batt? wont crap out in a few months right?
Consumer Reports has ranked most WalMart Everstart batts pretty highly. I'd have no worries there, and a half to a third of the stealer price, I'd even accept a little less quality for a battery. My original battery only last 2 or 3 years anyway . . . it's not like it's a critical component. Either it works, or it doesn't. When it doesn't, get a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
jmanscotch's Avatar
jmanscotch jmanscotch is offline
is a Texan
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: '09 135 - 6MT - TwinTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylt View Post
Consumer Reports has ranked most WalMart Everstart batts pretty highly. I'd have no worries there, and a half to a third of the stealer price, I'd even accept a little less quality for a battery. My original battery only last 2 or 3 years anyway . . . it's not like it's a critical component. Either it works, or it doesn't. When it doesn't, get a new one.
+1 I tried starting my car lastnight (-17 with wind chill) and it seems my battery finnaly gave up. Venturing to wally world in a bit to check them out, for the price and warranty I don't see where you could go wrong
__________________
-Jake

2004 325Ci - 5MT - SOLD & MISSED
2003 3.0 Z4 - 6MT - SOLD
1967 1602 - 4MT - STOLEN
2008 328XI - 6MT - EX STOLE
1995 325i - RUSTED AWAY
2009 135i - COPS IMPOUNDING
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
I did have a goofy battery problem with my Dodge Caravan, the battery voltage affected the trans shifting. It would start and run OK, but not shift correctly. New BMWs are supposed to be very sensitive to battery related issues.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
The Walmart genius that I talked to on the phone said they didnt have any 94R batteries. I went there and, lo and behold, FOUR of them, in WHITE, right in the center of the rack. "Seek, and ye shall find."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 AM
airboy86 airboy86 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dublin, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to airboy86
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP, 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylt View Post
Consumer Reports has ranked most WalMart Everstart batts pretty highly. I'd have no worries there, and a half to a third of the stealer price, I'd even accept a little less quality for a battery. My original battery only last 2 or 3 years anyway . . . it's not like it's a critical component. Either it works, or it doesn't. When it doesn't, get a new one.
It IS a great deal... ginormous battery for the same price as the puny one next to it
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
Just checked my local WM, all they had was the 94RN which I am guessing means non-vented cuz there was no vent tube nipple on it. Nice to know though that they can at least order one at a good price.

Thanks for the info.....

Barry
I just popped my Wallyworld Maxx94 RN in. 94RN is an exact fit, even has the same size vent hole in the same location. Just reuse the old nipple and vent tube.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 PM
mrmaico's Avatar
mrmaico mrmaico is offline
BMW driver/rider
Location: ND
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
I just popped my Wallyworld Maxx94 RN in. 94RN is an exact fit, even has the same size vent hole in the same location. Just reuse the old nipple and vent tube.
Thanks! I guess I just didn't look close enough at it. I saw a post earlier today that says that the 'N' might actually stand for 'Northern'. I'd never heard of different batteries for different climates before.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...77#Post1642177

Barry
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
troll-free troll-free is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: '10 VW Golf TDI
Success - thanks for the awesome tip, this was a cheap and (relatively) quick job. However, I do have one problem after installing this battery. My ABS+DSC+brake warning lights are on and won't go away even after running the engine for a few minutes. I have a 325xi. Should I get it checked out or is this expected to go away on its own after driving for a while? I have seen these lights come on and off before sporadically and then go away but I blamed it on the aging battery; now that I put in a brand new one, it can't be the battery, right? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,956
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
My guess is you may have some issues with the brake system. I would have a scan done to see if there any fault codes. The battery should not be the problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms