Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
Lift Points on your car

Taking extra pics while I'm under here.
Reference only

There are 6 locations for you to jack up the car 2 primary

The first is the plastic Block directly under the car between the front
2nd is the rear axle dead center

The other 4 are for jacking up a side for a tire change and located just below each of the 4 doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60311212.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	213245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60301212.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	213246  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Taking extra pics while I'm under here.
Reference only

Engine Opening to Alternator Housing Seal
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Transmission Pan Drain Location
Exhaust Tubing and Oxygen Sensor locations
Oil Pump pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_60151212.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	213247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60161212.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	213248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60171212.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	213249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60181212.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	213250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60191212.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	213251  

Name:	IMG_60201212.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	213252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60211212.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	213253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60221212.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	213254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60261212.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	213255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60271212.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	213256  

Name:	IMG_60281212.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	213257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60291212.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	213258  
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson009 View Post
I'm just working out of my garage on weekends and evenings. My kids and wife are suffering but I gotta knock this out. My references are the electronic TIS which is an electronic manual, real oem for breakout of parts, google, and I read all the problems on this board and the solutions and get help from the guys on here.

I had a friend who was a mechanic that taught me about the timing chain.

I'm not going any farther than this so an engine pull wasn't needed I have no idea how to do that anyway.

By studying and documenting everything it helps me learn everything so I can get it all back together. One nice thing about BMW is all of the visual resources.
You mentioned pulling the engine if you did this again, so my questions again (kind of) is why not pull the engine? I am by no means a mechanic, but it seems like you just unplug the wires, loosen the motor mounts, take off a few parts like the fan etc, disconnect from the tranny and pull it, right? Obviously the hood would need to come off too i assume. An engine lift would be required.

I have NEVER pulled an engine, but it doesnt seem that hard really, but please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I'm thinking in a couple years lots of us will have the same issues and for those of us that like to tinker, it might be easier to just pull everything to gain better access for this involved of a job.

Now, if all the parts you took off would have to be taken off anyway before the engine pull, then the access issue would be moot.

I am completely unaware of how to disconect an engine from a transmission, but i'm guessing the tranny housing just bolts the the engine in a specific way and lines itself up?

Also, you mentioned in one post that if you disconnect one of the engine mounts, you can jack the engine up 5 or 6 inches for access to a certain part, wouldnt this lift the transmission as well? Would you have to loosen transmission mounting brackets or is it floating? If it's floating I assume that due to the guibo in the drive shaft, that may be the flex point?

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bimmer View Post
You mentioned pulling the engine if you did this again, so my questions again (kind of) is why not pull the engine? I am by no means a mechanic, but it seems like you just unplug the wires, loosen the motor mounts, take off a few parts like the fan etc, disconnect from the tranny and pull it, right? Obviously the hood would need to come off too i assume. An engine lift would be required.

I have NEVER pulled an engine, but it doesnt seem that hard really, but please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I'm thinking in a couple years lots of us will have the same issues and for those of us that like to tinker, it might be easier to just pull everything to gain better access for this involved of a job.

Now, if all the parts you took off would have to be taken off anyway before the engine pull, then the access issue would be moot.

I am completely unaware of how to disconect an engine from a transmission, but i'm guessing the tranny housing just bolts the the engine in a specific way and lines itself up?

Also, you mentioned in one post that if you disconnect one of the engine mounts, you can jack the engine up 5 or 6 inches for access to a certain part, wouldnt this lift the transmission as well? Would you have to loosen transmission mounting brackets or is it floating? If it's floating I assume that due to the guibo in the drive shaft, that may be the flex point?

Thoughts?
It depends really. At most factories these days the engine is installed from below. I'm fairly certain they still provide some type of accommodation to remove the engine from above though. You'd remove the trans at the bell housing most likely. I don't believe most production cars have enough room to remove the trans with the engine.

Personally if I had to do this I would just remove the engine because even though most/all the same parts are going to need to come off to do the job at least you have easy access to them when the engine is sitting on a stand. Truth be told if I was going that far that I'd either get rid of the car or do a complete engine rebuild while it's out but, that's just me.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Whether you pull the engine is a comfort level really. If your comfortable with it and have the tools do it. There are 2 connectons on the engine, front driver side, rear passenger side. Attached a chain to those to loops of a disconnected engine and it will pull right up.
There will be a few more connections to remove such as the exhaust pipes etc and who know what else..

Do just do the all German Auto pipe, its just a fraction of the work i did.

To do it even cheaper do it the way Tommie B did by lifting up the side. This worked well for me until I ran into the Timing Chain issues, but by then I was already in deep. This is all a new learning process for all of us and can no doubt be improved by the next guy. I didn't have to do anything with the Tranny bolts.

I'm not a mechanic. I work in IT lol. I'm doing what I have to do and learning and correcting as i go. I have had limited experience with cars in the past (oil, belts, pans) but this has greatly increased my knowledge. So if I had the same knowledge I had right now, at the beginning of this project I probably would have pulled the engine.

Quote:

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Whether you pull the engine is a comfort level really. If your comfortable with it and have the tools do it. There are 2 connectons on the engine, front driver side, rear passenger side. Attached a chain to those to loops of a disconnected engine and it will pull right up.
There will be a few more connections to remove such as the exhaust pipes etc and who know what else..

To do it even cheaper do it the way Tommie B did by lifting up the side. This worked well for me until I ran into the Timing Chain issues, but by then I was already in deep. This is all a new learning process for all of us and can no doubt be improved by the next guy. I didn't have to do anything with the Tranny bolts.

I'm not a mechanic. I work in IT lol. I'm doing what I have to do and learning and correcting as i go. I have had limited experience with cars in the past (oil, belts, pans) but this has greatly increased my knowledge. So if I had the same knowledge I had right now, at the beginning of this project I probably would have pulled the engine.
Good way to state it.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Hopefully my post didnt sound rude- I applaud your efforts and appreciate you sharing your experience. I am thinking though if I were to do the coolant pipe myself, i'd probably have the same mentality as you and figure that since i'm already wrist deep, might as well go elbow deep and do some preventative maintenance- plus it would be a project.

Anyway- thanks for all the info.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM

No not at all. Its all good!

Quote:
Hopefully my post didnt sound rude- I applaud your efforts and appreciate you sharing your experience. I am thinking though if I were to do the coolant pipe myself, i'd probably have the same mentality as you and figure that since i'm already wrist deep, might as well go elbow deep and do some preventative maintenance- plus it would be a project.

Anyway- thanks for all the info.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM

TIMING PROCEDURES

Get the timing tools. They are sooo worth it. 11 9 460 ebay

1. Put Engine at Top Dead Center TDC on Cylinder #1.
a. Cylinder 1 is the front Piston on Passenger Side
b. Start the timing procedures on The Drivers Side..
c. Secure vibration damper with special tool 11 9 190 in firing TDC position of 1st cylinder.
2. Slacken screws of exhaust and inlet adjustment unit. Turn to the left to loosen.
a. When slackening screws, grip camshafts at hexagon head behind inlet units with wrench. See pic.
3. Place special tool 11 9 461 on inlet camshaft and align inlet. The cams move free of the chain when loosened.
4. Adjust camshaft so that special tool 11 9 461 rests without a gap on cylinder head.
5. Fit special tool 11 9 463 , secure screw (1) in thread for oil line and tighten down by hand.
6. Tightening down screw to inlet while gripping camshaft at hexagon head.
7. Place special tool 11 9 462 on exhaust camshaft and align exhaust camshaft so that special tool 11 9 462 rests without a gap on cylinder head.
8. Fit special tool 11 9 463 , secure screw (1) in thread for oil line and tighten down by hand.
9. Tightening down screw to exhaust while gripping camshaft at hexagon head.

Check Timing on Passenger Side
Repeat Procedure if needed

Once everything is aligned Crank engine at central bolt twice in direction of rotation until
engine returns to firing TDC position of 1st cylinder. Check your timing again. If it is off adjust again. Slack in the chain may throw off timing. Repeat procedure to adjust cams again if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_603212.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	213816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_603312.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	213817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_603412.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	213818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_603512.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	213819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_603612.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	213820  

Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
So, is it put back together? I'm dying to know if it starts up and runs fine the first time.

Jer

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
+1 - very curious to hear the results!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
No not at all. Its all good!
Keep it rolling Wilson, quite extensive project and details are exemplary, learning a lot.
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
+1. Mighty glad to have timing instructions posted somewhere and have access to someone who has done it! ...and glad to have material for people to fight the dealers with when they say it's a nightmare to do the timing on these! Great job man, and thanks for posting all these pictures/procedures.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
I know it would be a lot to ask, but would help others, could you tally the parts and costs in an itemized list as well as your estimated time spent doing the work? I know you said you were an IT guy and did this project not having any real experience, so I applaud you for that. So, if I were drive out to Ohio, what's your labor charge? :-)

Jer

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 02' BMW 745li & 04 Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
+1. Mighty glad to have timing instructions posted somewhere and have access to someone who has done it! ...and glad to have material for people to fight the dealers with when they say it's a nightmare to do the timing on these! Great job man, and thanks for posting all these pictures/procedures.
+1

2002 BMW 745Li
2004 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to GKT33
Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
+1!! One of the best post's I've seen since I have been a member of this forum!
02 745LI "Titanium Gray Metallic" Heated/Cooled Seats, Soft Close Doors, Comfort Pack..Recent Upgrades..ATL Autosport Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Akenbono Pads..128's(Wac) fitted with 245/35/21-285/30/21 Hankook Ventus...Garax (6000k) HID Headlight Bulbs...MTEC R Dash Angel Eye Bulbs..H&R Springs...JleviSW Carbon Fiber Door Post's...MTEC HID MT402 Cosmos Blue White FLB..BTUM 8000 Bluetooth Upgrade..RAD Wheel Locks..MK 4 DVD Nav upgrade..Iridium plugs
Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Don't worry i'll post the results and figure out the costs when I'm done.

I don't have it together yet. I only have a few hours each night or less depending on kid demands and my wifey. My heater broke and its 23 degrees right now so i'm didn't get much done this week.

And yes i"m too am worried when i first start it up. I'm sure I'll get some errors from various sensors. But I know I got all my seals right and torque settings done and timing right. Will probably do the Valve Covers this weekend, will need my patience for that one according to Keif lol.

I expect that after I get it running i will need to tightenup or replace one of my DSC lines which is siezed with rust and a few minor things that i may miss. So hopefully i'll be fully operational within a week (barring unforseen circumstances).
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
(and beer and maybe earplugs so the kids don't hear the cussing) ...it's not tough, just a pain.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Well I should have had it done this weekend but I made my first big mistake.

Putting on the Valve Cover on the driverside I read the wrong Torque setting for the bolts to the Timing Cover. I think I must have put in the torque for the cylinderhead to the block.

Anyway I always have a hard time trusting torque wrenches especially at the lower settings. I was spinning it in and wondering why it hadn't clicked. The it just snapped off.
Stupid mistake after so much tedious work.

The aluminum is so soft I destroyed the timing cover trying to back out the bolt.

Thankfully realoem makes it so easy to order parts. I'll have a replacement by Wednesday.

Meanwhile I put on the Passenger side valve Cover as well as pretty much the rest of the parts. I'll write that up later. So close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	214561  
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Well I should have had it done this weekend but I made my first big mistake.

Putting on the Valve Cover on the driverside I read the wrong Torque setting for the bolts to the Timing Cover. I think I must have put in the torque for the cylinderhead to the block.

Anyway I always have a hard time trusting torque wrenches especially at the lower settings. I was spinning it in and wondering why it hadn't clicked. The it just snapped off.
Stupid mistake after so much tedious work.

The aluminum is so soft I destroyed the timing cover trying to back out the bolt.

Thankfully realoem makes it so easy to order parts. I'll have a replacement by Wednesday.

Meanwhile I put on the Passenger side valve Cover as well as pretty much the rest of the parts. I'll write that up later. So close.
Is it in a location where you will be able to heli-coil the damaged threads?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM

It would have been if I could have successfully removed the bolt. But its just a big gaping hole now too big to heli-coil back to 10mm. The timing case cover was $80 so not too big of a mistake.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745i Sport / 01 986S
how is it going?

Past:
98 540i Sport
6 944's
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Everything is together. No leaks.

However I"m dealing with a misfire on cylinder 1. I'll make a separate post on that as I need help. Then I'll finish up this post.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Re-installing the Valve Covers

Replace the 4 Valve Cover bolts. They are weak and can snap after previous use.

Put the spark plug tubes in. They should fit snug in the hole by the plugs. If they are loose at all they should be replaced as they will leak oil into your plug.

Use an OEM Gasket replacement to get the right fit. Apply a thin bead of "The Right Stuff" gasket maker or whatever you use to the top of the gasket and place in the valve cover then seat the gasket. Apply another layer to the bottom of the gasket. (BMW just does the corners. I did the whole thing)

Quickly work it on. The hard part is getting it over that cam shaft sensor. I highly reccommend doing a dry run a 1 or two times to get the procedure down. Once on align the cover holes with the smark plug tubes. Make sure everything is clear then use a rubber mallet to tamp it down till the tubes are snug against the cover.

Snug the bolts by hand then torqued the bolts.

Repeat the other side.

Put the rest of the car back together. If you got this far the putting back together is easy.

Unless you replaced a module there is no reprogramming by the dealership needed. The engine will re-adapt.

And Your all Done!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Your all done unless your a dumba$$ me that is....

Then you will unwittingly drop a plastic piece into the head which will cause exhaust valve #2 to jam.

So Part II of my project will be pulling the passenger side cylinder valve. Here we go again!