Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
No luck, looked all around in there and did not see one. I did read online about some sort of available iPod adapter/module that retails for $320 and sounds like it would be the route I will need to take.
Back in your armrest compartment.....your photo cuts off right next to the headphone jack.....are you sure you don't have a little sliding door thing covering a USB port in there? Would be right next to the cigarette lighter and the headphone jack.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I will check again when I leave work but I am 99.9% sure I do not. But who knows maybe it is a rattle snake just waiting to jump out and bite me.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I will check again when I leave work but I am 99.9% sure I do not. But who knows maybe it is a rattle snake just waiting to jump out and bite me.
Looks like 2009's did not get the same value package as the 2010's and thus your car may indeed not have the elusive USB port.

Sorry about that if it turns out to be the situation for you.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Does seem to be the case. Wonder if the adapter I mentioned earlier would be an option for my car.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Does seem to be the case. Wonder if the adapter I mentioned earlier would be an option for my car.
Call your dealer, tell him you want the cheapest iPod integration possible for your vehicle and see what they say. It can't cost that much.

BJ

Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM

I am going to be there on Saturday for an oil change so will ask about this and the alarm then.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

So then, all you need is the $100 BMW iPod cable for your Nano and you're done. You realize that, right? Plug the cable in, the iPod data will come up on the stock radio, you already have the Bluetooth, you have everything you need.

Unless I'm missing something, you've got an elaborate workaround for a problem you don't have. You just need the right BMW cable and then you can get rid of that remote on the steering wheel and all the unnecessary wiring.

BJ
I do not have a USB port in my car so it appears that this would not work for me.
Retired 05 545i
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo View Post
I do not have a USB port in my car so it appears that this would not work for me.
Call your dealer, tell him you want the cheapest iPod integration possible for your vehicle and see what they say. It can't cost that much to get you the USB port in the glovebox methinks.

BJ

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo View Post
It will if you get a low-profile Belkin USB charger adapter.

Then again, you wouldn't need an expensive 6FL cable - you can get a much cheaper one from eBay that would be functionally identical. PM me for details if unclear.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
It will if you get a low-profile Belkin USB charger adapter.

Then again, you wouldn't need an expensive 6FL cable - you can get a much cheaper one from eBay that would be functionally identical. PM me for details if unclear.
What is the advantage of going this route? Would the Belkin not just be providing a USB plug that you in turn plug the other wire you mention into because I thought the goal was to somehow tie the iPod/iPhone into the factory radio? I am guessing I am missing something because seems like it would be just like buying a low-profile Belkin iPod/iPhone charger which is something I do have only with that you at least do not need another cable.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 335i MT
Quote:
What is the advantage of going this route? Would the Belkin not just be providing a USB plug that you in turn plug the other wire you mention into because I thought the goal was to somehow tie the iPod/iPhone into the factory radio? I am guessing I am missing something because seems like it would be just like buying a low-profile Belkin iPod/iPhone charger which is something I do have only with that you at least do not need another cable.
Well, if you are looking into a complete iPod/iPhone integration, then you are out of luck w/o a built-in or dealer-installed iPod adapter. However, if you just want to play music through the car's stereo and don't mind controlling the iPod or iPhone on the device itself, then this might be helpful.

I use this often when I want to listen to Pandora or use Navigon app on my iPhone.

Last edited by vadim; 12-17-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Well, if you are looking into a complete iPod/iPhone integration, then you are out of luck w/o a built-in or dealer-installed iPod adapter. However, if you just want to play music through the car's stereo and don't mind controlling the iPod or iPhone on the device itself, then this might be helpful.

I use this often when I want to listen to Pandora or use Navigon app on my iPhone.
Sure but I guess what I am still missing is sounds like you are sugesting using a device from Bellini to get a USB plug and the using a USB wire to plug into the iPod/iPhone and just seems to me at that point might as well just get one an iPod/iPhone car charger to avoid getting two things that do what a single charger does.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Call your dealer, tell him you want the cheapest iPod integration possible for your vehicle and see what they say. It can't cost that much to get you the USB port in the glovebox methinks.

BJ
I talked to them today and looks like it is the adapter I mentioned before on this thread. If I am reading the persons hand writing correctly then it is part number 65110439429. The parts guy was unsure how much time it takes to install.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I talked to them today and looks like it is the adapter I mentioned before on this thread. If I am reading the persons hand writing correctly then it is part number 65110439429. The parts guy was unsure how much time it takes to install.

That's the iPod interface adapter. Looks like a 3 hour install job based on what I've seen. Works as a go-between with the radio, gets you a USB in the glovebox. And will give you the full iPod experience on the stereo such as navigation by artist, song, playlist, etc.

BJ

Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Looks like I spoke a little too soon. I went and spoke with the service guy about this and he said the car has to be pre-wired in order to add this. Now of course maybe he was talking about something other than what I was talking about.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Looks like I spoke a little too soon. I went and spoke with the service guy about this and he said the car has to be pre-wired in order to add this. Now of course maybe he was talking about something other than what I was talking about.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184807

Unless I'm misreading, it's exactly what you need which is the post-delivery USB wiring to the stock radio.

BJ

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the link, I will take it up with them again at a later date since I'd be paying them to do it and right now don't want to spend the money since decided to get the alarm for the car and have them install that.