Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
Both the USB connection in the glove compartment and the centre console can read and/or write to a USB drive. However, ONLY the center console has the audio connection for the iPod

and that's why BMW recommend you plugin the iPod in the center console. Some USB drives have small programs (for security reasons) that run on them which sometimes require authentication

before full access is granted to the USB drive or data on it. Some Kingston usb drives fall into this category and may not work in your BMW.

Instructions on how to import music from a USB drive onto the iDrive hard drive:

***Car SHOULD be OFF***

1) Insert the USB drive into any of the USB connection(s); Center console OR Glove compartment.

2)Turn the car ON

3) Press the Menu button and select CD/Multimedia OR press the CD button

4)Select External devices

5)Select the USB icon Not Connected. NOTE: Even though your USB drive is connected, it'll still show Not Connected.

6) Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Scroll down and select Music data import/export

7) Click on Import new music (USB)

8) You should now see Importing music...

NOTE: If it says No USB device detected

Do the following:
  • Unplug the USB drive
  • Turn the car off
  • Exit the car and lock/arm it
  • Wait for about four (4) minutes and repeat steps 1) thru 8).
If still No USB device detected, i recommend you try another USB drive.

9) When the import is complete, click OK. That's it.

The music collection you just imported will be labelled USB 1 (assuming this is your first).
To rename it, do the following:
  1. Select USB 1 and Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Select Rename album

2. Use the back key |<- to delete USB 1

3. Enter a name for your music collection and click OK

4. Music collection USB 1 is now renamed

NOTE: There MAY be several and different ways to accomplish importing music (usb) and i hope you find this one useful.

Have fun!
Worked like a charm - Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5 E60
Dear,
Pleeeeeease help!!! I look to control my USB flash disk (pen) from the i-drive . is it possible on my car?
I own a 2006 BMW E60 520d and the I-drive doesn't display like the one shown in this thread. it looks a lower version in my car. do you think it can works for me? any advise.
great thanks.

Last edited by starsolitaire; 01-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsolitaire View Post
Dear,
Pleeeeeease help!!! I look to control my USB flash disk (pen) from the i-drive . is it possible on my car?
I own a 2006 BMW E60 520d and the I-drive doesn't display like the one shown in this thread. it looks a lower version in my car. do you think it can works for me? any advise.
great thanks.
Just try it and see what happens. Either it works or it doesn't.
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5 E60
Ok will do tomorrow and inform.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Mercedes, Ford
Pardon my ignorance but hone you guys mention centre console, what you'll are referring to is the handphone cradle? Where exactly does the iPod connect to in the centre console?

"Age is but a statistic that has no relevance to enjoyment of horsepower"
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO View Post
Pardon my ignorance but hone you guys mention centre console, what you'll are referring to is the handphone cradle? Where exactly does the iPod connect to in the centre console?
Nope its not the cradle. It's the USB connection with the audio jack next (left) to it.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Mercedes, Ford
Quote:
Nope its not the cradle. It's the USB connection with the audio jack next (left) to it.
Got it thanks.

"Age is but a statistic that has no relevance to enjoyment of horsepower"
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Smile Thank you so much!

Once again, I am finding answers about my new x3 on this forum instead of from the BMW site, or my owners manual. Finally uploaded my music to the vehicle. I cannot understand the rationale of having the usb connected and it saying "not connected". I thought that my computer experience would be enough to figure out a basic operation - but NO!

I am thankful again for this site - last time it was the setting up of profiles that we needed help with. I seriously find the owners manual (and also customer support - who I called about the profile and the woman - who sounded more like a teenager) was unable to find the proper support guide to help me!

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janccm View Post
Once again, I am finding answers about my new x3 on this forum instead of from the BMW site, or my owners manual. Finally uploaded my music to the vehicle. I cannot understand the rationale of having the usb connected and it saying "not connected". I thought that my computer experience would be enough to figure out a basic operation - but NO!

I am thankful again for this site - last time it was the setting up of profiles that we needed help with. I seriously find the owners manual (and also customer support - who I called about the profile and the woman - who sounded more like a teenager) was unable to find the proper support guide to help me!

Thanks again!
Glad you found some useful information on here. If you need further assistance or help, don't hesitate to post on here. I've found the BMW community more helpful and useful than the BMW CA, dealership, and customer support.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Deleting single songs from hard drive

Is there a way to do this? I cannot find anywhere.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Can FLAC files be imported into the iDrive system on my 2012 x3? Will the iDrive play FLAC files?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d 2010
Quote:
Both the USB connection in the glove compartment and the centre console can read and/or write to a USB drive. However, ONLY the center console has the audio connection for the iPod

and that's why BMW recommend you plugin the iPod in the center console. Some USB drives have small programs (for security reasons) that run on them which sometimes require authentication

before full access is granted to the USB drive or data on it. Some Kingston usb drives fall into this category and may not work in your BMW.

Instructions on how to import music from a USB drive onto the iDrive hard drive:

How to import music (USB) into iDrive
!................................................. ..............................
Brilliant write up - saved me a lot of time and head scratching!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 750i

[/QUOTE]

I got a 2009 750 and i dont see that option of playlist, Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
Thanks! I guess I will need another ipod classic.
Has anyone tried to hook up an IPad, just curious!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Good write-up but it doesn't work. I bought a BMW usb - center console connection will play from it but not save. Glove compartment usb connection recognizes it for archiving but does not recognize it with my own content on it; will neither play nor upload. I've tried the turn off, lock, come back and start over twice; same results. I have all of my '60s & '70s LPs on .WAV files on my computer; would like to have them on the BMW. No-one in the Portland dealership has a clue how to do it, and the telephone help line was totally useless. Very frustrated!
Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Savind music files from usb drive

After my last post I connected the dots - BMW made the system to work with iPod. So of course the files can only be apple files - it will read and play WAV files but the "store in vehicle" system will only recognize them if they are converted to MP3. Incidentlly, Audacity is a good conversion software.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 11 750i XDrive MSport
Snap in for iPhone

I am on my second snap in adaptor for iPhone 4 and neither of them recognizes my phone. Any suggestions??
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M3 Coupe
Thumbs up Helpful

Quote:

***Car SHOULD be OFF***

1) Insert the USB drive into any of the USB connection(s); Center console OR Glove compartment.

2)Turn the car ON

3) Press the Menu button and select CD/Multimedia OR press the CD button

4)Select External devices

5)Select the USB icon Not Connected. NOTE: Even though your USB drive is connected, it'll still show Not Connected.

6) Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Scroll down and select Music data import/export

7) Click on Import new music (USB)

8) You should now see Importing music...

NOTE: If it says No USB device detected

Do the following:
  • Unplug the USB drive
  • Turn the car off
  • Exit the car and lock/arm it
  • Wait for about four (4) minutes and repeat steps 1) thru 8).
If still No USB device detected, i recommend you try another USB drive.

9) When the import is complete, click OK. That's it.

The music collection you just imported will be labelled USB 1 (assuming this is your first).
To rename it, do the following:
  1. Select USB 1 and Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Select Rename album

2. Use the back key |<- to delete USB 1

3. Enter a name for your music collection and click OK

4. Music collection USB 1 is now renamed

NOTE: There MAY be several and different ways to accomplish importing music (usb) and i hope you find this one useful.

Have fun!
May I say your guide really helped me import my music from usb to the I drive. I was ignoring the usb because it was greyed out and saying no usb connected drove me nuts well it drove the wife nuts with me whinging.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
Whats the best way to update an existing library of songs? Seems like the USB transfer always makes a new bloody folder...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 750li F02
great info, thanks guys
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i XDrive
I need advice on importing files using the usb

I'm not getting anywhere the upload continues to stay at 0%, I cleared everything on my idrive off so I have space I'm trying to upload 1GB of music and it just stays at 0%. I've tired several different times, if I connect my USB to the center USB I'm able to play the music but when I connect to the glovebox USB it gives me this screen which is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	377926  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb750 View Post
Whats the best way to update an existing library of songs? Seems like the USB transfer always makes a new bloody folder...
No way to add songs, but you can delete them individually. You can't even use lower-case letters in naming the folders, it does not play Lossless WMA, and does not display album art. Once BMW enabled the armrest port function, I think they decided not to bother developing their HDD music interface any more. Even though the new NBT iDrive has more HDD space for music, I would not be surprised if BMW gets rid of the HDD altogether. After 5 years, there have been no improvements.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: E91 330xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb750 View Post
I just figured this out ... You must give a label to USB stick, that's how CIC will know which USB stick it is and will not create a new folder but it will add new music files to the existing folder ...

Last edited by salko; 10-03-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Cool FAT32 formatting

Stumbled across this thread when I was searching for a solution for my iDrive never being able to recognize my USB drive - I'd always get the "USB drive not connected" message.
Anyway, figured out that iDrive does not read USB drives formatted as ex-FAT (had formatted as ex-FAT from Mac and Win compatibility + large file transfers).
Once I reformatted as FAT32 it all worked fine - from both the USB ports (glove compartment and center console).
Actually, now that I can get 32GB USB drives for $20, fail to see much point in loading songs to the Beemer's HD any more - might as well keep the USB stuck in the port.