Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CI ZHP
Buying a 2005 x5 4.4- what to check

Looking at a 2005 X5 for the wife. We found a 30,000 mile model with pretty much every option. I test drove it the other day and noticed a couple of things. First was what seemed like a bit of hesitation taking off, any ideas? The panel on the back of the drivers seat was disconnected at the bottom also. And I noticed a bit of an alternating whine like a fan or something, not sure what it was. But it's got a full service record and the owner just spent $2600 on a 30,000 mile service. This is not a CPO car.

I'm going back to look at it with my wife tomorrow. Anything specific I should look for? I will also be getting it to the dealership to be checked out. They are about a mile from where the car is and charge about $100 to check out a car.

The car is priced under $30,000 so it seems like a good deal if the car is sound.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've already got a 330ci and it's been a joy.
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
BMW Driver

Send a message via Skype™ to bghubr
Mein Auto: 02 745LI
1.Check front seat belts retract.

2.LED Displays are fully functional.

3.Power Door locks are locking and unlocking all doors.

4.Engine Fan clutch is working.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 M5 /'04 X5 / 04-SL500
Front control arm bushings, condition of the tires and brakes... These can be expensive. Get a PPO done by a dealer or good indy before buying! Try to review all service records. It may still be under warranty, but maintainance records are always helpful.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Car checked out ok by dealer, all services current. Just had 30,000 check. We had an issue with the Nav system though that I've brought up in another post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: '03 M5 /'04 X5 / 04-SL500
The pricing may be on the high side but the justification can be the miles. I'm thinking $27k or $28k would be about right. However, a couple of grand more for a car you feel very comfortable with is worth the money. By pretty loaded, are you talking sport, premium, cold weather package, rear shades, which wheels,etc? Also, what type of engine does it have? If it's an 8, yes. If it's an I-6 I'd think twice. But, it sounds like it's in pretty good shape though. If it feels right, go for it.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I would never buy a car without a CPO or other warranty, and I am a pretty good mechanic.

You can blow through thousands on fixing up all sorts of issues that can crop up....

Also, $100 for an inspection is pissing away money- it cannot be a substantial inspection, IMHO. There is no such thing as a "BMW PPI Inspection"... so make sure you get a written description of what is being inspected. I recommend they use the CPO inspection checklist.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Looking at a 2005 X5 for the wife. We found a 30,000 mile model with pretty much every option. I test drove it the other day and noticed a couple of things. First was what seemed like a bit of hesitation taking off, any ideas? The panel on the back of the drivers seat was disconnected at the bottom also. And I noticed a bit of an alternating whine like a fan or something, not sure what it was. But it's got a full service record and the owner just spent $2600 on a 30,000 mile service. This is not a CPO car.

I'm going back to look at it with my wife tomorrow. Anything specific I should look for? I will also be getting it to the dealership to be checked out. They are about a mile from where the car is and charge about $100 to check out a car.

The car is priced under $30,000 so it seems like a good deal if the car is sound.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've already got a 330ci and it's been a joy.
check my listing here in classified by private party for x5 4.4 for reference. I dont mean you should buy mine though. lol
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
The pricing may be on the high side but the justification can be the miles. I'm thinking $27k or $28k would be about right. However, a couple of grand more for a car you feel very comfortable with is worth the money. By pretty loaded, are you talking sport, premium, cold weather package, rear shades, which wheels,etc? Also, what type of engine does it have? If it's an 8, yes. If it's an I-6 I'd think twice. But, it sounds like it's in pretty good shape though. If it feels right, go for it.

Well, it is a 4.4, sports package, winter package, nav, DVD system in the headrests, premium package, shades, 18" wheels, etc, etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Well, it is a 4.4, sports package, winter package, nav, DVD system in the headrests, premium package, shades, 18" wheels, etc, etc.
It is all your money and decision. u know 4 years /50k miles whatever comes first ur warranty is over!all the best.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:10 AM

Yep, it is my choice and right now I think I am passing. I noticed a slight hesitation when taking off that I thought might just be the drive by wire deal even though my 330ci isn't like that. But, looking at the original owners service records I saw that she had complained of the same thing 3 different times. First time they reprogrammed, next two they could not duplicate. I have not noticed this is other X5s we drove. So, despite it seeming like a really nice vehicle we are walking away from this one.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yep, it is my choice and right now I think I am passing. I noticed a slight hesitation when taking off that I thought might just be the drive by wire deal even though my 330ci isn't like that. But, looking at the original owners service records I saw that she had complained of the same thing 3 different times. First time they reprogrammed, next two they could not duplicate. I have not noticed this is other X5s we drove. So, despite it seeming like a really nice vehicle we are walking away from this one.
I apologize personally for being a spoiler if any?

Honestly, I did care for your well being and best interest for just being a fellow here.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
I apologize personally for being a spoiler if any?

Honestly, I did care for your well being and best interest for just being a fellow here.
Not at all, I make my own decisions. I actually checked the in service date on the vehicle myself after the seller tried to say there was warranty left still. We did look at service packages also. Just a lot of factors came into play on the decision. That and the fact that this is a want not a need for my wife so we can afford to be patient.

Experienced input from fellow members is always important and I appreciate the thoughts of others.

When I bought my 300ci ZHP I got a killer deal so I didn't stress too much about the buy. But dropping as much money as a good X5 will cost requires a bit more caution on my part.