Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
New X3 owner, almost...

Never owned a BMW before, have always wanted an M3 and will one day. Currently the wife needed a new car to replace her 220,000 mile 4Runner. It was still running strong, just worried about it stranding her.

Found a VERY clean 07 X3 with 47K miles. Premium package, etc etc.

CarMax has the car and I was a little worried about that but I have looked the car over several times and am confident it is a solid, well maintained X3.

I have read a lot on here and other sites for the past few months about 07 X3's. I haven't found anything real major, but I am struggling with the decision to buy the warranty or not. I have read horror stories and good stories about it, and it will add 1500-2000 to the price.

I guess never owning a BMW I don't know what to expect as far as maintenance costs, problems, etc. I do all work on cars myself short of alignments. I am very mechanically inclined, but are BMW parts a whole lot more expensive?
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Welcome to the club - don't we all want an M3, or even better, an M5 (IMO)

The X3 holds a lot of pros and cons. It just depends on what you want to use it for. Search this forum. There's plenty comments on this topic. What I can say, seeing you mention an '07 X3, is to make sure about the tranny if it is an A/T! Read more on this topic: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262130

You can check up on the X3's history by simply taking the VIN to any BMW dealer. If serviced by BMW, they'll be able to tell you the exact pedigree of the X3. I'm not sure on the details of the BMW service plans in the US, but our local 5yr/100'000km Motorplan is worth it. Like many other manufacturers it is sold as a permanent fixture with the car. So yours might still have an active plan on it?

If it is a good solid X3 (like 99.9% of them) you'll be pleasantly surprised. The X3 as an SUV (or SAV) is, like you'd expect from a BMW, a vehicle with excellent handling capabilities (thanks to a somewhat controversial stiff suspension that you either like or don't like) and a well balanced engine in performance and economy. You might even find yourself thinking "why have I not gotten a BMW earlier" ...lol

Post some pictures of the X3 here if you can...

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 AM

I'm not worried about the famous trans issues so much or the ride. I like the stiffer ride personally. This car has the 18" wheel option as well.

I guess I am worried about things like alternators, starters, valvetrain, the trans blowing up, steering wear and electronics failing. I can't find much about people having these problems.

It will be a daily and less than 10K miles a year. We are very easy on our vehicles.

I'll post pics when I can. I like it more and more, but the wife will be the one driving it daily.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Something to consider

Due to the potential issue with the transmission an extended warranty might pay off. Another option however is consider an 06 Certified model. They are still coming off 3 year leases and seem to be plentiful. You can even get one with the initial 4 yr 50000 mile warranty intact as well as a CPO if you look around. Always check the in service date to determine warranty status.

I just purchased an 06 with factory warranty and already certified from a private individual who was the second owner for a pretty good deal. Check out Craigslist and Autotrader.com. You didn't mention the price of the 07 but I think for a bit less you can get a comparable vehicle with warranty protection.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM

This 07 is $24K I think it is a ok deal because of all the options.

I did opt for the 07 to get the 260hp engine
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoney79 View Post
I'm not worried about the famous trans issues so much or the ride. I like the stiffer ride personally...
If you're OK with the stiffer ride and willing to take on possible tranny (A/T) issues (like me - I like the stiff ride too!), then you don't have to worry about the other things. BMW's mechanics are "tried and tested" and the engine block, valvetrain, etc. is rock solid. Based on many successful years with the 325's 2.5 straight six A difficult engine to kill

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM

If the tranny does have issues, I don't think an extended warranty is gonna help; The likely answer would be "they all do that" or some such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Due to the potential issue with the transmission an extended warranty might pay off. Another option however is consider an 06 Certified model. They are still coming off 3 year leases and seem to be plentiful. You can even get one with the initial 4 yr 50000 mile warranty intact as well as a CPO if you look around. Always check the in service date to determine warranty status.

I just purchased an 06 with factory warranty and already certified from a private individual who was the second owner for a pretty good deal. Check out Craigslist and Autotrader.com. You didn't mention the price of the 07 but I think for a bit less you can get a comparable vehicle with warranty protection.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Quote:
Never owned a BMW before, have always wanted an M3 and will one day. Currently the wife needed a new car to replace her 220,000 mile 4Runner. It was still running strong, just worried about it stranding her.

Found a VERY clean 07 X3 with 47K miles. Premium package, etc etc.

CarMax has the car and I was a little worried about that but I have looked the car over several times and am confident it is a solid, well maintained X3.

I have read a lot on here and other sites for the past few months about 07 X3's. I haven't found anything real major, but I am struggling with the decision to buy the warranty or not. I have read horror stories and good stories about it, and it will add 1500-2000 to the price.

I guess never owning a BMW I don't know what to expect as far as maintenance costs, problems, etc. I do all work on cars myself short of alignments. I am very mechanically inclined, but are BMW parts a whole lot more expensive?
Is this a silver '07 without heated seats or winter package? Does it have a hitch? Please tell me it's not my old '07. What a lemon.

The '09 (knocking wood) so far has been great.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM

I hear ya there. I'm still debating on spending $2,000 up front for a 60 month warranty.

It always feels like a scam to me.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Is this a silver '07 without heated seats or winter package? Does it have a hitch? Please tell me it's not my old '07. What a lemon.

The '09 (knocking wood) so far has been great.
Or a silver 07 with heated seats, but leatherette? Lemon 2.

The 08 (knocking wood, repeatedly) so far has been superb as well.

read the sticky..it will not only tell you the problem, but what to look for so you can avoid what some of us ran into.

You will notice that we didn't go elsewhere, but still have X3's. That is a statement in itself.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Or a silver 07 with heated seats, but leatherette? Lemon 2.

The 08 (knocking wood, repeatedly) so far has been superb as well.

read the sticky..it will not only tell you the problem, but what to look for so you can avoid what some of us ran into.

You will notice that we didn't go elsewhere, but still have X3's. That is a statement in itself.
It is not silver, but black/black.

Yes, the fact that you still have X3's is comforting. I really like the car, it is a perfect fit for us right now; no kids, but a lot of road trips.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X-3
Cool

You guys are making me so nervous about my '07!!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
then, rethink your pending purchase

before its too late. Go for an 06 sport, loaded and certified. You won't regret it nor miss the horsepower difference. I would rather have a tried and true vehicle with some warranty protection that had a few less ponies than a few more ponies along with issues and no protection. Think about it man. Don't get a burr under your saddle to buy right now, that X your looking at is NOT the only one out there. Just cool it, back off and think about it a little more and weigh the pros and cons.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
...Yes, the fact that you still have X3's is comforting. I really like the car, it is a perfect fit for us right now; no kids, but a lot of road trips.
For what it's worth, I traded my previous X3 in on another X3. Absolutely nothing wrong with the previous X3. I just wanted to upgrade from the 04' 2.5i to a face lifted 3.0d ('07up). So I can actually say "I love my X3" x2! ...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
...read the sticky..it will not only tell you the problem, but what to look for so you can avoid what some of us ran into...
Btw Ev, my late-blooming-'07-tranny-bug was fixed with a mem-reset. So far, so good. But it's been less than a 1200km (750mi), so I'll wait and see...

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
welcome aboard
Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
For what it's worth, I traded my previous X3 in on another X3. Absolutely nothing wrong with the previous X3. I just wanted to upgrade from the 04' 2.5i to a face lifted 3.0d ('07up). So I can actually say "I love my X3" x2! ...lol

Btw Ev, my late-blooming-'07-tranny-bug was fixed with a mem-reset. So far, so good. But it's been less than a 1200km (750mi), so I'll wait and see...
Hopefully just a Gremlin that got loose.

Glad it went away.

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more