Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
Remote Start

I have a 2008 X5 3.0si with comfort access. I was wondering if anyone has installed a remote starter, and if they did can it be used with the key fob or does a second remote need to be used. I tried to ask the dealer, but they are as clueless as anything.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Knowing the little bit I know about BMWs theft immobilizer system, and the electronic ignition interlock, I would venture to guess that it is impossible to do it by hacking/modifying the key fob to work remotely. Simply stated, the fob MUST be in the car.

Now, with the fob in the car, you could probably hack up your wiring to (a) defeat the brake interlock and (b) activate the start switch using an 'off the shelf' remote starter. That leaves open the question of 'can I lock the car remotely with my fob inside'. If it is in your locked garage, perhaps not a big deal.

If I was at the dealer, I would say "BMW makes no such accessory, since it would create too much liability for the company. Furthermore, hacking into the car's electronics and wiring harness is not recommended, and will both void any warranty AND make latter troubleshooting expensive for you. If you wish to proceed, perhaps a high end car audio shop may be able to make something work."
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Knowing the little bit I know about BMWs theft immobilizer system, and the electronic ignition interlock, I would venture to guess that it is impossible to do it by hacking/modifying the key fob to work remotely. Simply stated, the fob MUST be in the car.

Now, with the fob in the car, you could probably hack up your wiring to (a) defeat the brake interlock and (b) activate the start switch using an 'off the shelf' remote starter. That leaves open the question of 'can I lock the car remotely with my fob inside'. If it is in your locked garage, perhaps not a big deal.

If I was at the dealer, I would say "BMW makes no such accessory, since it would create too much liability for the company. Furthermore, hacking into the car's electronics and wiring harness is not recommended, and will both void any warranty AND make latter troubleshooting expensive for you. If you wish to proceed, perhaps a high end car audio shop may be able to make something work."

My dealership claim they can now install one, but it costs about $1,400 since they have to add a module from the remote starter people to make it work on BMWs.

Needless to say, I told them I was not interest at that price and tossed the brochure.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
My dealership claim they can now install one, but it costs about $1,400 since they have to add a module from the remote starter people to make it work on BMWs.

Needless to say, I told them I was not interest at that price and tossed the brochure.
Interesting.... I was not aware someone had a defeat module.

Google shows:

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/directed555b.aspx

Find a high end audio/auto electronics shop...
Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Interesting.... I was not aware someone had a defeat module..
Yeah, it surprised me too. But in this case, I figured a BMW dealer would really know, since they apparently sell and install them.

Not sure I'd want a non-BMW tech putting a remote start on my X5 while it's under warranty... or even after warranty for that matter.

As an aside, I've noticed I get heat really quick out of my X5 Diesel, so I guess those ceramic heat boosters I believe they've got in the HVAC system must really work. It is a surprise bonus to find the the Diesel actually provides some heat faster than the gasoline versions.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Not sure I'd want a non-BMW tech putting a remote start on my X5 while it's under warranty... or even after warranty for that matter.

I wouldn't trust anyone other than myself to make mods to my vehicle to be honest... BMW tech or otherwise, they can be real hacks.

Interesting issue may arise with a dealer making mods... BMWNA may decline to warrant the issue, even if it was their 'independent agent' making the modification.

Maybe that's why they want $1400!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I Interesting issue may arise with a dealer making mods... BMWNA may decline to warrant the issue, even if it was their 'independent agent' making the modification.

Maybe that's why they want $1400!

A valid point, but I suspect that since it is the dealer who does the work, if it was due to the mod, the dealer would be sure to handle the warranty claim "properly" to ensure he got reimbursed.

I'll not name names for obvious reasons, but a few years ago I talked to a guy that once was the service manager for a BMW dealership in his younger days, and then had a higher position in a BMW dealership. Apparently long ago BMW used Alpine radios and they had a lot of intermittent problems, particularly when they were first introduced. This guy would approve a replacement as he knew there were problems, since all the customers' descriptions of the intermittent problems were similar, and he witnessed the problem personally a couple of times. He would ship the defective radios to BMW/Alpine, they would check them out, declare that they were good, and deny the dealership claim. So, what to do? The customers had defective radios, he wanted to replace them, but the dealership was getting killed by rejected warranty claims.

Well, after they reached an impasse with BMW, every defective radio he took out was put in the lunch room microwave oven for 30-45 seconds before it was sent to BMW for a warranty claim.

No more warranty claim problems.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A valid point, but I suspect that since it is the dealer who does the work, if it was due to the mod, the dealer would be sure to handle the warranty claim "properly" to ensure he got reimbursed.

I'll not name names for obvious reasons, but a few years ago I talked to a guy that once was the service manager for a BMW dealership in his younger days, and then had a higher position in a BMW dealership. Apparently long ago BMW used Alpine radios and they had a lot of intermittent problems, particularly when they were first introduced. This guy would approve a replacement as he knew there were problems, since all the customers' descriptions of the intermittent problems were similar, and he witnessed the problem personally a couple of times. He would ship the defective radios to BMW/Alpine, they would check them out, declare that they were good, and deny the dealership claim. So, what to do? The customers had defective radios, he wanted to replace them, but the dealership was getting killed by rejected warranty claims.

Well, after they reached an impasse with BMW, every defective radio he took out was put in the lunch room microwave oven for 30-45 seconds before it was sent to BMW for a warranty claim.

No more warranty claim problems.
that WILL do it.

Indeed. This highlights an important aspect of warranty claims that people don't see: namely that the dealer is NOT BMW- they are, in effect, a third party between you and BMWNA. if you understand this relationship, it can help you to help the dealer when they have to finesse BMWNA. (P, I know you know this- just sayin' )

A
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 08 528i, 10 x5 35d
A buddy of mine installed a remote start on his E39. The E39 has the traditional key but there is a rf device in the fob that needs to be present before the car will start. To get around this, he duct taped his extra key under the hood. This way, he can use the remote start and the car would detect the key.

With comfort access, I don't think this would work, as the key may allow someone to touch the handle and open/start the car. There may be a way to disable comfort access...on a lexus or toyota there is a button under the steering wheel to disable their keyless system (at least in the models I've seen), but I haven't noticed a similar button on a bmw (perhaps there is an iDrive setting).