Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Imola 4.6's Avatar
Imola 4.6 Imola 4.6 is offline
Imola 4.6
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
Does my 4.6 have a engine limit on it?

i pushed my 4.6 to 159mph yesterday with ease.... wasnt it suppose to stop at 155mph?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
djfitter's Avatar
djfitter djfitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532
Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola 4.6 View Post
i pushed my 4.6 to 159mph yesterday with ease.... wasnt it suppose to stop at 155mph?
Built in speedometer error.

dj
__________________
'08 535i
Deep Sea Blue
Cream Beige
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola 4.6 View Post
i pushed my 4.6 to 159mph yesterday with ease.... wasnt it suppose to stop at 155mph?

Speedo can be off up to 10%, particularly at high speeds. If you want to really see how fast you are going, use a GPS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Imola 4.6's Avatar
Imola 4.6 Imola 4.6 is offline
Imola 4.6
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Speedo can be off up to 10%, particularly at high speeds. If you want to really see how fast you are going, use a GPS.
i know but its not the case on my car, becuse i set my "speed limit" to 155 and saw that reminder come up on exactly 155 and i continued acceleration for another 5-6 seconds and hit 159... basicly the computer read it right too. but thanks anyways...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
djfitter's Avatar
djfitter djfitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532
Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola 4.6 View Post
i know but its not the case on my car, becuse i set my "speed limit" to 155 and saw that reminder come up on exactly 155 and i continued acceleration for another 5-6 seconds and hit 159... basicly the computer read it right too. but thanks anyways...
Set the speed limit? If you are talking about the one in iDrive, it's just an alarm. It walks hand in hand with the speedometer as far as the error goes.
Penguin has it right. If you really want to know, you will have to use a GPS.

dj
__________________
'08 535i
Deep Sea Blue
Cream Beige
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola 4.6 View Post
i know but its not the case on my car, becuse i set my "speed limit" to 155 and saw that reminder come up on exactly 155 and i continued acceleration for another 5-6 seconds and hit 159... basicly the computer read it right too. but thanks anyways...
Why do you think the "computer" has the correct speed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,169
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola 4.6 View Post
but thanks anyways...
Glad we could help.

What makes you think the speedometer actually displays the value the vehicle is receiving as the Vss (this is vehicle speed)? One is GPS (i think) derived, one is wheel derived.

Your on board computer may be accurately reading the speed- and you may be doing, say 154 so the alarm isn't tripped. But the speedo has an error and shows 159.

I've used the on board computer on other BMWs, just 'reset' the average speed when you hit your target, and it will calculate the speed immediately- the first number is pretty much your speed at the moment you hit reset. Using this method you can 'plot' the accuracy of the speedo at various speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
djfitter's Avatar
djfitter djfitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532
Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Glad we could help.

What makes you think the speedometer actually displays the value the vehicle is receiving as the Vss (this is vehicle speed)? One is GPS (i think) derived, one is wheel derived.

Your on board computer may be accurately reading the speed- and you may be doing, say 154 so the alarm isn't tripped. But the speedo has an error and shows 159.

I've used the on board computer on other BMWs, just 'reset' the average speed when you hit your target, and it will calculate the speed immediately- the first number is pretty much your speed at the moment you hit reset. Using this method you can 'plot' the accuracy of the speedo at various speeds.
I'd rather use a GPS that captures highest speed achieved without having to do all the OBC stuff at 150 mph thank you.

dj
__________________
'08 535i
Deep Sea Blue
Cream Beige
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,169
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
I'd rather use a GPS that captures highest speed achieved without having to do all the OBC stuff at 150 mph thank you.

dj
Me too. But that doesn't mean that the method I describe isn't a perfect way to check and calibrate the speedo at lower speeds.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2009, 04:19 AM
killcrap killcrap is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: BMW
reset the average vehicle speed in the On Board Computer to display the actual vehicle speed
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
One is GPS (i think) derived,.

Possibly, but I don't think so. If it were, either the speedometer or the engine computer would lose vehicle speed data in long tunnels, under thick tree cover, and in dense downtown cities with tall buildings.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 648
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
The E53 X5 4.6i had a speed limiter at 210kph (131 mph). How could you go up to 159 mph? Btw, the X5M has a speed limiter at 250 kph (156 mph).
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,169
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrap View Post
reset the average vehicle speed in the On Board Computer to display the actual vehicle speed
Kill-

That was my comment as well... Where/how does the OBC derive this speed value???

A

PS I know kill from elsewhere and trust his opinion...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
The E53 X5 4.6i had a speed limiter at 210kph (131 mph). How could you go up to 159 mph? Btw, the X5M has a speed limiter at 250 kph (156 mph).

I read somewhere that the determiner for the speed limiter value was based on the speed rating of the OEM tires.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Imola 4.6's Avatar
Imola 4.6 Imola 4.6 is offline
Imola 4.6
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
The E53 X5 4.6i had a speed limiter at 210kph (131 mph). How could you go up to 159 mph? Btw, the X5M has a speed limiter at 250 kph (156 mph).
well i did 159 lol i have a video on youtube doing 150mph in my old 4.4 as well... go watch it...

ill try to make a new video of my 4.6...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms