Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Z4 High beam halo socket/bulb

Socket with bulb 63 12 7 170 858 is $26.09 from North Haven.

Apexstrafer came up with this to work it to just replace the bulb.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...01#post6328001

The high beam halo has a bulb in a socket in one piece of two pieces melted together.





It's easy to modify the socket to remove the bulb.
Used a razor to remove the melted parts and to make the notches.



The bulb side doesn't have the notches for the bulb so that the bulb can't come out.
You remove the melted part on both sides.
Once removed the bulb piece comes out from the bottom.



Remove the bulb and put the piece without the bulb back to create the notches for the bulb side pins.
Will probably glue the two pieces together when done.



You could probably break the bulb to remove it and make the notches.
.
.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 12-08-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Brighter Halo

Some wanted to make it brighter.

Purchased some from http://www.bulbconnection.com/

Stock is 10 watt.
Osram 39423 64113 $4.75.

20 watt.
Osram 39425 64115 $4.42.

Don't blame me if it melts your headlights.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
pungo's Avatar
pungo pungo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Ron,

Great write-up on modifying the bulb holder to get the bulbs out. I wanted to try some high powered 6 smd LED in place of the stock 10w. I used a dremel tool with a small dental type bit and notched the black housing like you did and the bulbs came right out. The LED were much whiter than the stock 10w bulbs, but not any brighter, plus I got the bulb out error so I put the sock bulbs back.

Shameless plug: I'm looking for a damaged headlight with angel eye so I can experiment with different ultra high powered LEDs to see if I can make these wimpy angel eyes brighter, I'm an engineer and have received several sample LEDs to experiment with. Some of these new LEDs are extremely bright. So, if you have a damaged headlight laying around with the angel eye bulb in the thread, I could really use it. thanks......
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
chickdr chickdr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,044
Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Some wanted to make it brighter.

Purchased some from http://www.bulbconnection.com/

Stock is 10 watt.
Osram 39423 64113 $4.75.

20 watt.
Osram 39425 64115 $4.42.

Don't blame me if it melts your headlights.
Did you buy the 20 watt bulb Ron? If so, how does it compare?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Did you buy the 20 watt bulb Ron? If so, how does it compare?
I ordered them yesterday. Maybe somebody will compare them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Headlights

Headlights 63 12 7 162 721/2 retail for $1032.42 each.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
pungo's Avatar
pungo pungo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Some wanted to make it brighter.

20 watt.
Osram 39425 64115 $4.42.

Don't blame me if it melts your headlights.
yeah, 20 watts is a lot of heat for such a small bulb in a plastic housing with no air flow around it. I would light it up on the bench in the plastic housing and see how hot it gets before putting them in your headlights. Let us know how they work out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
yeah, 20 watts is a lot of heat for such a small bulb in a plastic housing with no air flow around it. I would light it up on the bench in the plastic housing and see how hot it gets before putting them in your headlights. Let us know how they work out.
Stock 10 watt:

50 degree F garage.
Hood open with temperature on top of the halo where it meets the fender area.
102.9 F

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 04-27-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM
apexstrafer apexstrafer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brea, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
The 10w Ushio bulbs I got are a little brighter than stock. Might just be due to being newer though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexstrafer View Post
The 10w Ushio bulbs I got are a little brighter than stock. Might just be due to being newer though.
The stock ones in my car are Phillips 12082.

Maybe amber would work..

Can also adjust the 20W with a resistor for your liking.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
yeah, 20 watts is a lot of heat for such a small bulb in a plastic housing with no air flow around it. I would light it up on the bench in the plastic housing and see how hot it gets before putting them in your headlights. Let us know how they work out.
Did the 10W tonight on the bench.

354 F
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Did the 10W tonight on the bench.354 F
20W is 402 F on the bench versus 354 F 10W.

20W is 155 F on top versus 102.9 F 10W.

No fault with one 10W and 20W . I assume both 20W will be fine.

Had it on over two hours in the garage with no melt.
No idea if different checks will smoke it..

It looks just right with the 20W since it fills the ring, which the 10W doesn't.














Last edited by Ron Stygar; 12-15-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM
pungo's Avatar
pungo pungo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
20W is 402 F on the bench versus 354 F 10W.

20W is 155 F on top versus 102.9 F 10W.

No fault with one 10W and 20W . I assume both 20W will be fine.

Had it on over two hours in the garage with no melt.
No idea if different checks will smoke it..

It looks just right with the 20W since it fills the ring, which the 10W doesn't.
The 20w is a lot cooler than I thought it would be. The 20w definitely does fill out the ring much better than the 10w do. I'd light to see a night shot....Good job Ron, they must be using some pretty hi-temp plastic on the bulb holders to withstand that kind of heat.

Now that I see the ring intensity can be increased, I really want to try the ultra high powered LEDs I have. Just need to find a trashed headlight to try them on in the comfort of my shop bench in the basement. I'd need to modify that black bulb holder.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 AM
chickdr chickdr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,044
Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Very cool Ron. Thanks for being the test mule. So I need to order (2) 20 watt bulbs and do some mods to allow the bulb switch....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Very cool Ron. Thanks for being the test mule. So I need to order (2) 20 watt bulbs and do some mods to allow the bulb switch....
Be careful. We don't have a long term test in all temps.

Really need a headlight to play with.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The 20w is a lot cooler than I thought it would be. The 20w definitely does fill out the ring much better than the 10w do. I'd light to see a night shot....Good job Ron, they must be using some pretty hi-temp plastic on the bulb holders to withstand that kind of heat.

Now that I see the ring intensity can be increased, I really want to try the ultra high powered LEDs I have. Just need to find a trashed headlight to try them on in the comfort of my shop bench in the basement. I'd need to modify that black bulb holder.
Check some temps and see what you get.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Sabrebill30 Sabrebill30 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2005 Z4
This is some good info. Thanks guys and keep up the updates. Just bought my 2005 Z4 Roadster.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I'd light to see a night shot....
No cigar. Thirteen degrees out there.





Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Sabrebill30 Sabrebill30 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2005 Z4
I guess they haven't come up with a HID replacement kit yet huh?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM
pungo's Avatar
pungo pungo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
No cigar. Thirteen degrees out there.
Nice shots Ron, that 20w is substantially brighter than the 10w. The 20w is in the driver side, right?

I'd take the thirteen degrees overs the 20+ inches of snow we just got here in Washington DC.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Nice shots Ron, that 20w is substantially brighter than the 10w. The 20w is in the driver side, right?

I'd take the thirteen degrees overs the 20+ inches of snow we just got here in Washington DC.
Right. Drivers side. Don't want to melt two

Our 20 inch just started.

I'm going to try the second one by removing the bulb from the front.
That way I don't have to worry if the glue lets go.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-20-2009, 01:15 PM
pungo's Avatar
pungo pungo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 178
Mein Auto: Z4 coupe, Corrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Right. Drivers side. Don't want to melt two

Our 20 inch just started.

I'm going to try the second one by removing the bulb from the front.
That way I don't have to worry if the glue lets go.
Yeah, it only took a minute or so with a dremel tool and small bit make the notches to remove the bulb from the front. You can easily see the nubs on the bulb and where the plastic need to get notched.

BTW, nice looking snow blower, and you get to stay dry too! I only have a plow on my tractor.



Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Yeah, it only took a minute or so with a dremel tool and small bit make the notches to remove the bulb from the front. You can easily see the nubs on the bulb and where the plastic need to get notched.
Socket showed up today.
Used a small spring prick punch.
Drilled the holes with a 3/32" drill.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
scottyD's Avatar
scottyD scottyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si Coupe
Ron,

how did this turn out? Did you put another 20W in on the passenger side? Both still working just fine?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
scottyD's Avatar
scottyD scottyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si Coupe
Has anyone put in the 20W bulbs and experienced any long-term issues (melting in the headlight assembly, etc.)?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms